Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Brainstorming: If you were to name your kid after someone, who would it be?

Now for something totally different on RPS, baby names! ;-)

I have this feeling in the back of my mind that there are lots of cool names out there, names of great people from history, great creators, great civil rights campaigners, authors of great works, makers of great movies, even great characters.
    But when I actually try and put my finger on them they all either escape me, or are weird (like Aldous (Huxley)) or just don't really sound good for ordinary people (like Harrison or Clint, or Angel or Spike ;-) ).

So, if you were going to name a kid after someone, who would it be? Personally I'm looking for boys names, but feel free to chuck in girls names too for future reference. Not really looking for things like "Beyonce" or "Kanye" or anything too "celeb".

Multicultural is ok. Even from anime might be ok if it's a real name and doesn't get the kid beaten up in school.

Alexander, like Mégas Alexandros, which happens to be my name. Because my father was and still is fond of history.

But names from anime? One Punch man.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I don't feel like wheeling out my actual children's names because privacy. But I think naming your kids after anyone real is dangerous because they could turn out to be a fundamentalist, pervert or hate criminal of some kind.

Naming your child after a concept, disused fictional character or a long dead person who likely has all their skeletons aired is probably safer.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Batman Superman Smith or Batgirl Superwoman Smith.

Seriously, don't troll your kids with giving them stupid name of some fictional character from shitty book you like.

I wasn't serious btw.

Unless you are rich and do whatever you want.
    post in progress

Something nice and strong, like Thor, Atilla or Isambard.

Obscure Node
    Turok, after Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

There's a severe deficiency in cool names these days.
    "A thousand years from now, a dim-witted human barbarian will climb to the top of a pile of bones, sit down and proclaim: I win."

Leon (the Professional). Which I did, thats my youngest' name. Well, we decided to maybe go for Leonhart, or leonard or similar (as in, Richard the Lionheart, but Leon can mean any of the above, so thats fine. Lion.)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, two out of seven being useful replies isn't bad. ;-)

I don't want to name them after some random fictional character, but I thought it would be nice to name them after someone who did something great/important/worthwhile. Problem is I can't think of anyone who did something great who has a name I like.

Theres some fantastic engineers you could derive modern names off of.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Dude

10chars

I always name my dogs after Greek philosophers and because I find it fitting somehow. I have some famous names in mind for a potential child but they are, of course, Norwegian and would not be any use to you. But as far as English names go I always liked those few medieval names that are still in common use and also don't sound too odd like Roland, Walter, Owen, Oliver or even common ones like John. Most of those old names have a good few famous dead people attached to them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Hector is a pretty bad-ass name, but kind of "hard", if you know what I mean. One of quite few good mythological names that would work today, not counting biblical ones. Amadeus is softer, more cultural, but also a little unwieldy. Oscar? Winston? Franklin? Galileo? Kieron? Dante?

Are you thinking of any particular category?

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    I have some famous names in mind for a potential child but they are, of course, Norwegian and would not be any use to you.
    I'll assume that you're Norwegian, but that sentence is just ace if you're not.

Heh, that did make me laugh reading it that way. At least I'd never be so cruel as to use a Swedish name. :)

Obscure Node
    Goku, but my wife won't let me :(

About anime again I can't really tell actual names from random words. I know about characters named after weapons, samurais and various lords or legendary figures but if you say Ye Bin without a san/chan after it I'd think of chinese/korean/whatever stuff. And you wouldn't choose a name from wiki would you.
    post in progress

Network Hub
    Well, most of the recent people worth remembering are themselves named after somebody else worth remembering... if you name your son Isaac, will anybody ever know it's after Newton? Or would it just be seen as another biblical name? (Not recommending "Newton" btw :) )

In ten or twenty years, a lot of the connotations we have with certain names will have softened. For instance, "Hannibal" may eventually stop reminding people of Hannibal Lecter. Maybe.

I like Crazy Horse's Greek philosophers idea. My favorite name picked by recent friends was Hypatia: classic, not too crazy, definitely not very hippy. I always loved Diogenes, personally, but it's maybe a mouthful, and depending where you live, boys named Gene sometimes get crap.

From a purely aesthetic sense, I always loved Zelazny's choice of names in his Amber books. Not that I recommend naming your kid after genre fiction, but the names themselves come from elsewhere originally, names like Oberon and Benedict.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm, I kinda lied in previous post, if I had daughter I would almost certainly name her Alice.

I always liked those few medieval names that are still in common use and also don't sound too odd like Roland
    After reading The Dark Tower all my male characters in videogames are named Roland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for some ideas.
    I'm still not sure what we'll go for, but just hearing lots of random ideas is always useful.

PS/ I'm up for famous Norwegian names. Kid will be pretty international anyway.

PPS/ I almost certainly wouldn't choose an anime name unless it was actually a proper japanese name.. not going to saddle the poor kid with Naruto or Luffy. ;-)

PPPS/ See, for me reading The Dark Tower was always slightly tempered by my main association with Roland being the guy from Grange Hill.