Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Any good legal music download services?

It continually baffles me that you can stream everything at a fair price, but if you want to actually download a substantal amount of music you need to pay for everything piecemeal. I know, that rechnically you could walk away from the service and keep anything, but piracy already exists, so surely you being willing to sign up to a monthly fee is better? I know spotifies "offline playlist"looks pretty good, but are there any other "offline" subscription services of note?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The only one I know that does something like that is http://www.emusic.com/info/plans-pricing/
    But they aren't available in my region so I have no idea about their catalogue and if it's a decent deal or a rip off.
    They've been around for a long time, they were one of the first online mp3 stores set up after itunes etc.. started to go big.

(NB/ Most of the monthly subscription services like spotify aren't available here, and the ones that are are horribly overpriced with very (terrible) localized catalogues. As such, I don't really have any first hand experience of whether they're worth it.
    For simple downloads, I mainly go with Google Play Music. They have cheap album prices/deals, and it's in MP3 format so I can download and keep it. My legal options are limited here.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like eMusic a lot. I have a legacy plan that gives me bonus credits.

They used to focus on download tokens but switched to a $$$ amount per song due to demands to sign on the large labels.

Within the past year they dropped the big labels to refocus on small labels and music discovery. They still have not changed their auto discover like they had it in the past (found it more initiative and worked like current streaming services), but you can do the digging and find new stuff to try out.

They have a few labels I regularly download from, so I pick up a couple albums a month from them or try someone else out.

Only downside is they have a download once policy. Not like a game service where you can infinitely download the song. So make sure to backup your songs.

Slacker.com always been a solid streaming service and offline mode (they even sold their own MP3 player at one time. Might still). They were innovative for the time but I think were a bit to early (time of Blackberries and when iPhone was just coming out) to become huge. Spotify's marketing and exclusive content took over fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Only downside is they have a download once policy. Not like a game service where you can infinitely download the song. So make sure to backup your songs.
    Haha haha haha... No.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Haha haha haha... No.
    That is how all music download services work as far as I can tell. And not all digital game services offered it early on. Not until Steam at least. I remember EA and other services making you pay $5 more to have access for up to 2 years.

It is easy enough to upload to free Google Music to backup.

They used to have 3 re-download limit.

Amazon used to offer one download right after the checkout, if your browser farted and lost the download you had to petition support to download it. It's not acceptable, it's a telic of a foolish past, not going to support the business practice.