Android phone for work, app suggestions

After years of putting up with the archaic (but logical at least,) Blackberry UI on my work phone I've now got a new one. Unfortunately it's a Motorola Moto G running Android 4.4.2.

Now admittedly I haven't been anywhere near Android since Froyo (and that had HTC Sense UI rather than vanilla,) but either the Android UI has got drastically worse or I'm spoilt by my personal phone running Windows Phone 8. Androids main advantage is the huge amount of Apps so I'm hoping some of you have some suggestions for replacing the awful defaults, so far I've found one called Textra to replace the standard text App but need help with the following:

1. A Contacts app capable of syncing contacts with Exchange.
    2. A decent keyboard, is Swype still any good?
    3. Anything that may improve the general usability of the UI
    4. Any other apps you think might be useful.

This is a work phone so it doesn't need to play Angry Birds and I don't use Facebook but I'm surprised it can't even get basic stuff like contact syncing done right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I like Nova Launcher for the UI. There's other popular home screen replacements like ADW and Go Launcher.

Swiftkey reads your mind. I don't think you can get any better than that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    3 - What is the particular issue with the UI? (I've only really used android, so i'm used to it). There are dozens of alternative launchers available, so you can basically have any UI you like. There is definitely a Windows 8 launcher, and several win 8 skins for other launchers. (try Smart Launcher if you want something simple and pretty).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    1 - Contacts sync fine with several services for me, but I don't use Exchange (not a work phone). They sync fine with gmail of course.. maybe you can set up sync between gmail and exchange.. but i'm sure there are other apps that will do it directly. 2 - Swiftkey seems better for typing. Both are pretty similar for swyping. But the most recent google default keyboard includes many of their functions these days (like swyping).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    4 - Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive, Evernote, Pocket, Llama or Tasker, Swipepad for app launching/switching. I use Avast, not so much for the Anti-virus, but for the phone tracking / wiping if lost. The google office documents app (i forget the name). Some kind of todo-list app. (I use TickTick. Any.do is also popular)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maknol View Post
    Swiftkey reads your mind. I don't think you can get any better than that.
    Yes yes and again yes. I got it free with amazon app store but happily re-bought it to be free of the amazon update system.
    Dropbox is alright, but unfortunately they've ruined the desktop implementation by trying to add a mini applet that seems to completely overwhelm lower end systems.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/