Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Steam

Quote Originally Posted by SouperSteve0 View Post
    too much sparkly fairy noises. This isn't Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
    Haha, you can choose not to use, and I think the history elements are attractive as we are updating the history of the game world.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    A Dungeon Siege-style game in a Steampunk setting? Yes please!
    Cool, and the sneak peek test will start on 28th.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 04-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEthan View Post
    Cool, and the sneak peek test will start on 28th.
    Sweet! Just signed up for a key.

'Free to Play'? Don your tinfoil hats and prepare for flaming.

I'll take a look and give actual, constructive comments when I get home.
    Last edited by TsunamiWombat; 15-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Alright so I took a quick look.

Art Design: Very little of this shouts 'steampunk' to me visually. It all seems straight fantasy with some slightly industrial elements. Characters are hard to distinguish from each other visually.

Gameplay: I like the area of effect markers for using abilities, gives it an action game feel to me. Enemies do not seem very responsive or...threatening, at all. Their AI seems non existant based on this footage, BUT this is an early alpha.

Sound: Music was generic. Neither good nor bad. Would probably turn it off. Ease up on the fairy twinkle sound effect, I have to agree.

Calling this a steampunk game is a big stretch. This is fantasy, complete with elves and orcs, but with some INDUSTRIAL elements.

Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiWombat View Post
    Alright so I took a quick look.

Art Design: Very little of this shouts 'steampunk' to me visually. It all seems straight fantasy with some slightly industrial elements. Characters are hard to distinguish from each other visually.

Gameplay: I like the area of effect markers for using abilities, gives it an action game feel to me. Enemies do not seem very responsive or...threatening, at all. Their AI seems non existant based on this footage, BUT this is an early alpha.

Sound: Music was generic. Neither good nor bad. Would probably turn it off. Ease up on the fairy twinkle sound effect, I have to agree.

Calling this a steampunk game is a big stretch. This is fantasy, complete with elves and orcs, but with some INDUSTRIAL elements.
    Thanks for your comments, Andrew at Mechanist Games. I'll try to explain a bit more on each. One thing to bring up is this is a browser-based game which doesn't require a special plug-in unless you count Unity 3D webplayer as one. I'm glad you understand this is an early version and the real problem is that most of the stuff we have up is from the version we had in November so I can actually tell you many of the things have changed! Oh for the much better... sooo much better... Also we are very conscious of the size of the download. Dungeons are just 800kb and a few dozen kb per additional floor within a dungeon tileset. The open scenes are all quite small too. Central (the biggest) is only 2.7mb, I think that's pretty damn awesome. This even blows me away because flash games are getting up to the 20mb range and well it's flash. :)

That's why we don't really call it steampunk as it isn't true to the genre and it wasn't our intention. We call it industrial age fantasy because I can definitely agree it is heavier on the fantasy side. In terms of the characters, perhaps in the new version we're at now it will be easier to tell them apart. Camera angles and such have been changed. I'd love to hear back on this after. I think steampunk fans will love the world the game takes place in.

The World Machine
    TheWorldMachine.jpg

To note regarding this. The gameplay has nearly completely been redone and actually doesn't look anything like this anymore. (Well ... maybe a little) This also meant we are almost finished re-writing the server and I can tell you that the AI is actually pretty sweet, but again, would love to get your take on it if you take part in the test. It won't be 100% but it will show off that it's not as boring as it has looked. Yeah the area of effects are fun to play with especially the icewall and firewall abilities.

Great news in this regard because we completely agree. I don't know if you're familiar with the composer Daniel Sadowski but he's actually working on several new pieces for us. In regards to the sound effects, almost all of them have been changed, so yeah completely agree.

Yeah, exactly. I hope that adds a little bit more flavor to the comments you posted. Would love to hear more. We're very community conscious and listen to suggestions and comments.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 01-04-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Just one more day... :)

We got some really exciting updates recently! Check them out in the post.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Having read The Iron Council my China Mieville, I was looking for a game with just this atmosphere just yesterday. I love Steampunk and this looks like Steampunk done right. In fact the images of the city, with its wide open port and elevated rails, recalls to mind New Crobuzon in a good way. These game previews had me hooked....right up untill I saw the WoW-esque combat.

I know being a browser game does limit things like this, however, so I am willing to forgive much of this in a Unity game, whereas in a new AAA MMO like SWTOR I feel it is unforgivable.

What I was wondering, though...are there non-combat roles in this game? Can a person sell goods, or information? Can they simply skulk about and explore the backwater alleys of this dark industrial city, and learn valuable things? Or is this a combat-centric RPG only? Not knocking it if so, I know many people love those and they bring people to a site. But I have to think that with so many MMO's out there, a company looking to put one into a browser via unity might be willing to a try a few new things beyond just setting, in order to bring in a different audience.

What I was wondering, though...are there non-combat roles in this game? Can a person sell goods, or information? Can they simply skulk about and explore the backwater alleys of this dark industrial city, and learn valuable things? Or is this a combat-centric RPG only? Not knocking it if so, I know many people love those and they bring people to a site. But I have to think that with so many MMO's out there, a company looking to put one into a browser via unity might be willing to a try a few new things beyond just setting, in order to bring in a different audience.
    Thanks for the question. Now we only have 4 classes available on our website and we will have more in follow-up development. Good point, because a non-combat role is always good for balancing the game. You can always trade with your friends or other players, there is a dynamic economy system in City of Steam, you can check out the recent Dev Journal on the Marketplace. Apart from the actual combat we will have lots for players to do, , you can also go around to show off your upgradeable House as well as quests that just get you to explore. We are optimizing and improving the game in almost every aspect, if you are interested, please stay connected for more updates about the game.

Seize the opportunity to start a new round of exploration in a steampunk and industrial world. We officially announced the alpha testing date for City of Steam is July.

Activated Node
    From the title, I immediately thought of a dystopian future in which Valve ruled the world.

On the topic, is this going to be pay-to-win crap like many such games, or will it be strictly supported by advertisements and/or cosmetic stuff?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Holy thread necro, Batman!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I heard city of steam is going beta now.

Quote Originally Posted by wuwul View Post
    From the title, I immediately thought of a dystopian future in which Valve ruled the world.

On the topic, is this going to be pay-to-win crap like many such games, or will it be strictly supported by advertisements and/or cosmetic stuff?
    Hah, it's not the first time people linked City of Steam with Valve's Steam, the difference is obvious, City of Steam is a game, Steam is a platform. :) Referring to payment, there will be items and extras sold for added convenience, quicker results (for traveling, crafting, etc), and some non-gameplay affecting items, but at no point would someone paying money have an unreachable advantage against non-paying players who've put their time in the game. We're striving to give all players an equal footing, while still offering value to those who choose to pay for extras.

Quote Originally Posted by julialee View Post
    I heard city of steam is going beta now.
    In fact, this game is going to the Alpha version in July. More details can be seen in the Alpha news on the official website.

First City of Steam Developer Vlog up. Greg, level designer at Mechanist Games, explains how we make levels with some in-house tools.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 25-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.

New merchandise store and gaming forum up and running, be the early supporter for City of Steam and participate in the alpha test this July.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    looking forward to the alpha test. the game showed a lot of promise in that sneak peek a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    looking forward to the alpha test. the game showed a lot of promise in that sneak peek a while ago.
    Sweet, we are now really close to the mid-July Alpha launch and everything is going fairly well. Be sure to stay connected, we have more updates coming soon.