Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Steam

Only 1 day away now. If you've received a key, please got to our activation page to activate it in preparation for the server open on July 20th. If you haven't, no worries, subscribe to our newsletter here, subscribers will be guaranteed alpha key priority.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Looks good so far. I'm wondering when you'll get a letter from lawyers telling you to change the name.

edit:
    While "alpha release" still seems like an oxymoron to me, kudos for not selling the alpha.

Hi guys, we already opened the server and the alpha is underway! If you've already received a key, be sure to join in the test and offer us feedback; if you haven't, you still have various ways to get a key 1) Subscribe to our newsletters; 2)Try to snatch one from our partner sites, 3)Purchased a Collaborator Pack and get a guaranteed key.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 25-07-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

In my initial attempts to get the game going, the game screen did not size to my desktop, and the initial intro quest wouldn't fire off. Character customization at this point is...low. Obviously, can't say much more about things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
    In my initial attempts to get the game going, the game screen did not size to my desktop, and the initial intro quest wouldn't fire off. Character customization at this point is...low. Obviously, can't say much more about things.
    Some other players also encountered the screen issue during the alpha and we already got alerted. Character customization is not very thorough currently, but more customization will come in the future. We already received some nice suggestions on character customization. Before the second alpha weekend starts (27th), we will have a list of fixed-bugs and new features. Hope you can help us test play the game again this Friday.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 26-07-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Gear up everyone! The final Alpha weekend for City of Steam will be open in just a matter of hours. If you missed out on a chance to play the game in our previous three weekends but interested in testing it out, check out our partner sites to get a key. If you've received a key already, activate it. If already activated too, well, all that's left is waiting... Alpha starts soon!!

Just took a look at the City of Steam site and some of the screenshots look quite nice. However the main thing that struck me (first impressions and all that) was the artwork for the various races on the Alpha is Almost Here! blog post. How disappointing! For a self-proclaimed steampunk game, this seems to have the same generic overmuscled, oversexualised character design that infests fantasy. The right-most humans look like strippers, the anime goblins are incongruous with the other races, but worst of all: all females have either oversized chests or impractical armour. Some of the male characters even have unnecessarily low-cut tops!

Really, I'm getting sick of seeing this ridiculous cleavage-centric girl-armour. CrazyEthan, any chance of taking steps to pioneer non-sexist, adolescent-male pandering clothing for your female characters? It'd be a refreshing change to the fantasy genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Eophasmus View Post
    Just took a look at the City of Steam site and some of the screenshots look quite nice. However the main thing that struck me (first impressions and all that) was the artwork for the various races on the Alpha is Almost Here! blog post. How disappointing! For a self-proclaimed steampunk game, this seems to have the same generic overmuscled, oversexualised character design that infests fantasy. The right-most humans look like strippers, the anime goblins are incongruous with the other races, but worst of all: all females have either oversized chests or impractical armour. Some of the male characters even have unnecessarily low-cut tops!

Really, I'm getting sick of seeing this ridiculous cleavage-centric girl-armour. CrazyEthan, any chance of taking steps to pioneer non-sexist, adolescent-male pandering clothing for your female characters? It'd be a refreshing change to the fantasy genre.
    Sorry that you don't seem to like the artwork. Though we've never self-proclaimed ourselves to be steampunk. Other people have said that about us! We're an industrial style fantasy, incorporating traditional fantasy with mechanical equipment. As a fantasy genre, it's nice to have a fantasy character, isn't it? It would be great to pioneer such a gender neutral game that you're looking for and trust me, many of the developers here want to. But as a small indie company bringing out our first game, we don't have the market pull to make that influence. There are plenty of games out there that have tried, and failed, because not enough people want to play it! We here at Mechanist would rather have a successful game and integrate gender equality as a progressive change. Our players would be more receptive once the game is established and we'd make a bigger influence on the gaming industry once we're big too! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions.

We just put up some new dev journals, here's your chance to get a closer look at some cool Ratling animations in Unity, backstories of the charming but manipulative Rivens and a wrapup for all available classes in City of Steam now. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 20-09-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Obscure Node
    I can not play this game in the past and not listened about these game history in the past.i wish to play this game and i hoped personally liked it because its title is very entertaining to me city of steam....i can not show this video on the you tube because some technical problems in the internet.
    NTEP scale
    Last edited by Lanko; 22-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanko View Post
    I can not play this game in the past and not listened about these game history in the past.i wish to play this game and i hoped personally liked it because its title is very entertaining to me city of steam....i can not show this video on the you tube because some technical problems in the internet
    Not to worry, in Beta, you'll be able to see far more content and features than Alpha! Hope you can test play Beta this November and give us some thoughts!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 20-09-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Last chance for supporting City of Steam guys! The closing date of all Alpha Supporter Packs is pretty close now; to those who've been keeping track of City of Steam, don't miss the chance of being an honorable supporter for this game while receiving some amazing CoS swag at the same time!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 24-09-2012 at 04:02 AM.

i really like the steampunk idea

Quote Originally Posted by Nikas View Post
    i really like the steampunk idea
    Thanks, we are close to Beta testing now, hope that you can help us test the game out in November!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Rats! Only seeing this project now and the alpha packs are gone. Love the style of it anyway, will keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEthan View Post
    Thanks, we are close to Beta testing now, hope that you can help us test the game out in November!
    I think you are talking to a bot or a spammer there. Check his other posts.
    Forum janitor in training.

if it will be possible - i will do it with pleasure :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Rats! Only seeing this project now and the alpha packs are gone. Love the style of it anyway, will keep an eye on it.
    Not to worry, Beta packs are underway now and scheduled to come out in October! Thanks for supporting us, if interested, feel free to drop by our community and post your thoughts, we're pretty receptive.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I think you are talking to a bot or a spammer there. Check his other posts.
    Hmm, judging from number of his posts, really not sure...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Not to worry, Beta packs are underway now and scheduled to come out in October! Thanks for supporting us, if interested, feel free to drop by our community and post your thoughts, we're pretty receptive.
    Oh sweet that's not far at all!