Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: City of Steam

Check out a funny little video we made while stressed-out over getting City of Steam Beta ready. Feel free to leave us a comment, too! As always, keep an eye on our Dev Journals for latest development progress we've made, and share your thoughts. Beta should be rearing its head out sometime in November.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

I guess this thread could be moved over here now:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ings-Like-That

After all, that section has been created especially for that purpose.

Hello everyone, we have plenty of great news share recently, so forgive me if this seems a bit spammy (but yeah...how else to spread the news on stuff like this..?)

First! Closed Beta Test will start on Nov. 16th (see more details via the announcement here), coupled with more content and contests;

Second! We just got a new Beta Teaser Trailer up, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out;

Third! We now have brand new Beta Collaborator Packs, if you missed the Alpha packs, this is your chance to get a bunch of awesome extras for Beta!

Lastly! As we also have some goals to reach in Closed Beta, we do need your support to make them achievable. Check out the bonus content you could get in CBT on your Steam-o-Meter (it even includes developer humiliations; we may regret our enthusiasm later…).

Ok, enough of that before this gets too long, sorry for dropping so much on your guys at once… I’m glad to hear your comments on this though, so be sure to let me know what you think, or ask those questions I’m sure are crossing your mind!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 01-11-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Thanks to support from the players, we've already achieved a set of goals on Steam-o-Meter, be sure to continue your support for getting more bonus in Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I guess this thread could be moved over here now:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ings-Like-That

After all, that section has been created especially for that purpose.
    Tried to get in touch with them before, but didn't receive a response.

Let’s take a new glance at the Steam-o-Meter after one week of its release. The great thing is that really awesome stuff like “Powered Gauntlets” and “Challenge Dungeons” have already been unlocked and pushed to be ready for Closed Beta… and now we’re getting so close to the first Dev Humiliation ever. So everyone, keep pushing up the points and unlocking more early content (wouldn't you like to see that cute Marshpuggle?)

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop by and give you a final reminder for City of Steam Beta: the first Beta Weekend will launch in less than 15 hours! If you are interested in joining in, sign up for our newsletter for a chance to receive a key (and regular development updates as well); also, check out our partners, they might still have a few keys left to give out. If you grabbed one already, great! Free your schedule and get ready to swarm into The Refuge tonight!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 16-11-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Activated Node
    So, this thread is about you promoting your game, right? Is that generally okay for the RPS guys? Did you ask them for permission first?

I'm not saying that I've a problem with that, but I'm a game developer, too... and I wondered whether it's okay to simply put up a thread about your game here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Yeah, there's even a forum for this sort of thing, but this thread itself is grandfathered, I suppose- it's older than that forum.

What does this offer that any other MMO (of which there can be considered too many) doesn't already?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah, there's even a forum for this sort of thing, but this thread itself is grandfathered, I suppose- it's older than that forum.
    So, this thread should actually be moved then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    No. "Grandfathered"

Yeah, there is a new forum section for game promotion, I'll try to contact Jim (tried before, but no response yet) again and ask if this thread should be moved to the specific one!

Network Hub
    Yeah. The game promotion section is absolutely the appropriate place... :)

Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    Yeah. The game promotion section is absolutely the appropriate place... :)
    Jim said he'll do it soon. :)

Hi everyone, we've got some great updates to share this week, so forgive me if this seems a bit spammy:

First! Autumnwane (CBT3) is around the corner, so be sure to free you schedule on December 14th if you’re interested in joining in.

Second! City of Steam is coming on Steam Greenlight (see more details here), so please vote for us;

Third! We just got a new Closed Beta Trailer up and running, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out;

Ok, enough of that before this gets too long, sorry for dropping so much on your guys at once… I’m glad to hear you thoughts on this though, please let me know what you think if any question is crossing your mind!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 13-12-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Keep up the votes for our Greenlight project everyone, we've got a good chance to get greenlit next month.

And still not a single word of why anyone should look at this with any more interest than any other MMO out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    And still not a single word of why anyone should look at this with any more interest than any other MMO out there.
    What does this offer that any other MMO (of which there can be considered too many) doesn't already?
    Wow Shooop, sorry, I noticed I missed your question the first time you posted...Didn't mean to leave you in the dark there, again, sorry.

As for your question, what's different about CoS, well, for one, it has a fresh setting. Instead of using a tired fantasy one that isn't really grounded on anything besides the common tropes, we give it a more industrial age spin (think steampunk-ish).

The quests are filled with lore and depth. No one you talk to will simply say "Follow me!" for no other reason than to lead you into killing some generic monster of boss. There are reasons, motivations, conflicts behind each action. There is more to the game world than just a place where NPCs 'exist'. They all have their own stories. Same with what race you pick, it determines your personal family quest line.

If you prefer the customization side of things, upgrades and mods added to your weapon actually change its appearance, so you can tell (or show off if you're inclined) when someone's weapon is modified.

To give some variety to "the grind", we also have Challenge Dungeons, which switch aroud from just having to "kill all the mobs" and give other objectives to complete, like racing to a given point, finding all treasures, breaking all breakables, which are especially fun in groups.
    On a more technical side, the game takes very little to load up and play. No long waiting times, no huge downloads or installs, just sign into your account and play (and yes, the game still looks that good despite being so light).

There's more of course (we have steambikes and jetpacks), but if there's anything specific you'd like to know, please ask (and I'll try not to miss it this time ;) ).
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 21-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.

That reads like a canned press release for every single MMO ever made.

Quests filled with depth and lore? So what? Seen that already even in Skyrim. Didn't make actually going and killing those generic monsters and bosses any more fun. We don't need excuses to go dungeon crawling, we need the actual dungeon crawling to be fun.

I've already seen the "personal family quest" before when it was called "personal story" in Guild Wars 2. Still didn't make the game anything more than "get large group, stand there and press two keys until boss dies" boring crap. Again, the story didn't make the game, the gameplay made the game. And since the gameplay was crap...

So nothing. Just another crappy MMO.