Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Steam

Hello everyone, I'm Ethan and I work for a small games developer, Mechanist Games. We're working on our debut title City of Steam.

If you've known of City of Steam and been following the game since it went public, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and keep an eye on the dev journals for up-to-date game development progress.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise, we're still small, so getting widespread recognition is relatively harder for us). It's a browser-based MMORPG featuring a mix of industrial fantasy and steampunk elements, lightweight enough to play smoothly on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive,and stored all resources in but a few megabytes. Here is a quick look at the world CoS based upon.

546164_211360688975861_100003057930343_327384_1623783713_n.jpg

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

Edit:

Hello all, we've opened gates of Nexus again, Beta is now launched and ready to play. Visit the link below if you don't have an account yet and start your journey in just minutes!
    http://cos.r2games.com/signup

Thanks to your continuous support of our game, City of Steam has finally been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system. We are thankful for everyone who voted for us and who spread the word! If you want to know more, you can find the full announcement here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Also, we wrote up a dev journal (though delayed!), along with a video, about the showcase of City of Steam at PAX East and GDC 2013.

We may be small, but we're very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll respond to any questions you may have!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 24-05-2013 at 04:15 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Activated Node
    The ships shouldn't just stand still in the sky. Make your environments dynamic with ships constantly moving around. A trademark of a x-punk environment is the setting being really busy.

Based purely off that video alone, all I'll say is that brown and grey gets very old, very quickly - especially when your engine limits the detail of textures you can provide. I think it would look great if it was less rusted metal and more shiny brass. Or maybe just a bit more orange-sunset-y lighting. And yes, more movement would help a great deal. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it all looks too lifeless at the moment. Looks cool nonetheless, hope it goes well for you!

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nayon View Post
    The ships shouldn't just stand still in the sky. Make your environments dynamic with ships constantly moving around. A trademark of a x-punk environment is the setting being really busy.
    Even just a little drift niggles like a boat tied to a dock. Flags flutter. Actual steam venting somewhere etc. Otherwise, what's the plot again?
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

The game is based on a series of RPG books named "The New Epoch",The world itself is a giant machine, and is, in fact flat. The elemental planes aren't found by mystical methods -- you can literally walk across the teeth of the world to reach them. The sun and stars are actually tethered to the world, orbiting as gyroscopic pieces of the superstructure of existence
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Thanks for your suggestions, as a small developer, we still got lots of improvements to make, and we will definitely take your idea into consideration!
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 04-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.

*jaw drops*
    I'm a huge fan of Steampunk, I can't wait to see where you're going with this!

Perfect, we are also looking for advice from fans of Steampunk!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Looks interesting though Steampunk isn't really my thing. Also: gee Unity is picking up in popularity, so many indie titles using it. Makes me kind of depressed that I can't do anything except make a cube spin in place. Out of interest: using UnityScript or C#?

Actually for some reason when I saw the title for the thread I thought it was going to be about Steam and some sort of city.

Banned
    "The world itself is a giant machine, and is, in fact flat. The elemental planes aren't found by mystical methods -- you can literally walk across the teeth of the world to reach them. The sun and stars are actually tethered to the world, orbiting as gyroscopic pieces of the superstructure of existence," according to the designers. Head to Light Speed Gaming for more on the setting and the game mechanics, and don't forget to view the video embed after the break.
    So it's Exalted but Steampunk?

YEAH, 'cause Steam is so famous, maybe you know City of Heroes and City of Villains, but this one is a brand new game, speaking of the UnityScript stuff, I will pass along your words to our developers.
    Last edited by CrazyEthan; 04-09-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Not exactly, these two have different backgrounds and styles, City of Steam is based on "The New Epoch", and Exalted relates with Tolkin's stories. Maybe you can find more differences when Gameplay videos roll out.

Answer for your question out of interest: C#

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEthan View Post
    Answer for your question out of interest: C#
    Thanks, I was just curious, seems like most of the major titles are coded in C#.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Thanks, I was just curious, seems like most of the major titles are coded in C#.
    C# is picking up steam with indies because of XNA, but most major engines are in C or C++, for the low-level access.

Not a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghil View Post
    C# is picking up steam with indies because of XNA, but most major engines are in C or C++, for the low-level access.
    Yeah I figured it was more to do with familiarity with C#'s structuring which means only having to learn the new API in Unity, but UnityScript is similar to Java so I figured it might be easier for some new studios to work with. But you never see anyone working on a major project in UnityScript. Or Boo for that matter!

We got a sensational hit from GDC China, and ready for GDC San Francisco next year.

Activated Node
    too much sparkly fairy noises. This isn't Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

A Dungeon Siege-style game in a Steampunk setting? Yes please!