Network Hub

Silent Hunter V: Joy to the world! The DRM is dead (sort of)!

Apparently there's now an option to play the game in offline mode. This requires turning off online save synchronisation, but that's not much of a loss in my book.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=189245

Obscure Node
    Did they ever patch the core game to a decent level? I always stayed clear of it, partly becuase of the DRM, but also because there were so may problems reported when it first game out - crewmembers that were invisible or got stuck in the most unusual places etc.

If they've made the game worth it compared to 4, which I already have, might have to revisit it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    My understanding is that 3 and 4 are still fundamentally better games, has that actually changed? This is one of those games where I should thank Ubi for their DRM, it kept me from preordering.

Network Hub
    Apparently Ubisoft Romania patched it to be playable, and the community has done some sterling work on the modding end from what I've heard. That said, 30 dollars is still a bit steep for a game that's a year and a half old (alright, so it was developed, and priced, for a dedicated audience willing to shelve out the cash for it). Waiting for the holiday Steam sale, and even then, I'll be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if it's on sale for less than $20 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That said, 30 dollars is still a bit steep for a game that's a year and a half old...
    Eh? Amazon lists it for 3.50 in the UK and $5 in the US.

That is good news, I will give it a whirl now. Just have to find it cheap in New Zealand, not an easy thing to do probably.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    My understanding is that 3 and 4 are still fundamentally better games, has that actually changed? This is one of those games where I should thank Ubi for their DRM, it kept me from preordering.
    Better than I expected. There's some neat new touches like the officers having their own personalities that you can bring out in conversation. The 'linear campaign' is a lot less restrictive than I expected (in fact it's rather more of a fancy "choose your start date" than a campaign as such in my experience) and of course the engine/graphics/simulation etc have all been tweaked and improved. On the bad side, the "wander around the sub" thing can get a little annoying sometimes (took me two patrols to realise I could climb down off the conning tower to man the deck guns, cuz you can't see those bloody ladders from above) though since you can still hotkey yourself to most stations isn't a major problem.

I'd say it's a better game than 3 was (or rather it's 3 improved). 4 is a little tricky since it's a different theatre and different side, I'd plump for SH5 over it but then I wasn't a big fan of the Pacific to begin with.