Secondary Hivemind Nexus

[Forums]First Post Promotion

So, I'd say about half the threads on the forum in the main section at the moment are made by users making their first post, which will always be something exclusively positive about the game. Sometimes they are openly the developers, othertimes they claim to be nothing to do with the product, despite their behaviour of going to random forums and making carefully judged promotional pitches. When I raised this before, people said they were OK with it - but I'm seeing more resistance in recent threads and it's certainly getting a bit tedious.

So, would people like some rules/moderation about this? Or are they happy with the discussion that these things can provide.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Aren't you're kinda exaggerating on the "half" part? Certainly 5 ish out of the 20 non-sticky threads on the very first page are self-promotional in nature. I don't see it as a bad thing personally, they're informative, and seem to fit right in with RPS's long running embrace of small studio games. While I don't play many indie games myself, I find them interesting to read about which is why I've stuck with the site for so long. If people only wanted AAA info - there's (I think) other sites and forums out there. Maybe even well written ones. Sorry I don't know any off the top of my head though.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Personally I don't have a problem with it so long as they're up-front about who they are and what they're pitching. If such threads were taking over the forum even that would be a problem, but there doesn't seem to be any danger of that happening.

I'm fine with it. If nobody cares, those threads drop off the front page pretty quickly. (Obviously someone repeatedly bumping their own promotional thread is asking for a stern talking-to.) And if you make a rule against it, it'll probably only make a difference to the obvious cases, that we can all choose to disregard anyway. Anyone who really wants to advertise will do it just subtly enough to get away with it.

As far as I'm concerned if someone has made a free game and they want to draw attention to it then I'm fine with that. Maybe we can create a subforum for it?

RPS has always been very Indie friendly and I think there could be huge value in providing a sub-forum where hobbyist developers can showcase the games they're knocking up or people can talk about free games they've found. Maybe have a rule that no commercial games allowed or something.
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 05-11-2011 at 06:04 AM.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm glad they tend to respond when accosted. At least then you know they're regularly checking it; not just cross-posting an ad on this and other gaming websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    RPS has always been very Indie friendly and I think there could be huge value in providing a sub-forum where hobbyist developers can showcase the games they're knocking up or people can talk about free games they've found. Maybe have a rule that no commercial games allowed or something.
    Well, indie doesn't necessarily mean free, tho. If it's a guy's first project and he wants to use it to break into the gaming industry, would you begrudge him that?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Well, indie doesn't necessarily mean free, tho. If it's a guy's first project and he wants to use it to break into the gaming industry, would you begrudge him that?
    The reason I say they need to be free games is :

1. If they want to make money then they can pay for advertising or contact The Powers That Be for coverage like everyone else.
    2. It becomes an issue to police. How do you define Indie? Free or not is a very clear line with no shades of gray and no potential for whinging and giving The Powers That Be a hard time.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Activated Node
    If there'd be such a subforum it'll need heavy moderating to not get flooded with post like this:
    -Hey, I made a game, here's a video, now give me money

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    The reason I say they need to be free games is :

1. If they want to make money then they can pay for advertising or contact The Powers That Be for coverage like everyone else.
    2. It becomes an issue to police. How do you define Indie? Free or not is a very clear line with no shades of gray and no potential for whinging and giving The Powers That Be a hard time.
    Yeah but isn't there a huge gray area there? What if I want to make a post talking about something good in a game I played? What if the game is Skyrim? Someone started a Skyrim thread, do we know for sure they're not the developer? We can probably figure it out.

What if it's an obscure indie game? What if they're actually not the developer but his sister's boyfriend?

Big-name commercial games basically don't need to do this stuff as someone will start the discussion anyway. For smaller games, I don't see a problem with developers doing it. And if the game is boring and not worth talking about, it'll just fall off the front page right away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Yeah but isn't there a huge gray area there? What if I want to make a post talking about something good in a game I played? What if the game is Skyrim? Someone started a Skyrim thread, do we know for sure they're not the developer? We can probably figure it out.

What if it's an obscure indie game? What if they're actually not the developer but his sister's boyfriend?

Big-name commercial games basically don't need to do this stuff as someone will start the discussion anyway. For smaller games, I don't see a problem with developers doing it. And if the game is boring and not worth talking about, it'll just fall off the front page right away.
    If it's the guy's first post and it consists largely of nothing but a link, it's probably not there to start a discussion but generate hits and possibly money.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I cannot adequately express just how much I resent the idea that indie developers should somehow be punished for charging money for what they create.

Please don't do that. Either we welcome discussion of indie games by their developers, or we don't. Are ad-supported ones somehow better? Hobbyists are another deal entirely.

This:
    (Obviously someone repeatedly bumping their own promotional thread is asking for a stern talking-to.)
    And this:
    If it's the guy's first post and it consists largely of nothing but a link, it's probably not there to start a discussion but generate hits and possibly money.
    ...are the only necessary guidelines, IMO. If someone's acting spammy, boot 'em. Otherwise, it's all good.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 16-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.

I'm perfectly OK with "Here's my game, could people please have a look and give feedback?" as long as there's a brief description of the game that doesn't consist solely of "It's really cool!". I think this would work best if the game were free, or if there were a good demo, because people could "have a look" without necessarily committing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like people who are willing to come here for beta testers / early adopters, not just straightforward sales. I think people who post the same thing repeatedly or completely off-topic in popular threads are spammy, probably obviously so.

Also, the "good" developer I'm mentally picturing would respond to comments on the thread about his/her game, as developers often do on the main blog site.