Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    362

    Super Mario 3D Land = The only reason you need to buy a 3DS

    IMO of course. See for yourself. It looks awesome ---

    (Recorded) LiveStream http://www.1up.com/news/watch-play-super-mario-3d

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    I'm waiting for the real version of the console featuring a second analogue stick and reasonable battery life and (hopefully) modern aesthetics, better cameras and a larger screen. Fortunately by the time it arrives there'll certainly be no shortage of games I want for it, Super Mario 3D Land included.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,324
    "Whats that?" "I can get pretty much the same gameplay experience from other Mario Games without needing to get another system that seems to have failed miserably" "I think I might do that"

  4. #4
    Network Hub Donjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Posts
    353
    I'll be borrowing my brothers 3DS for this!

    Xercies: Have you used a 3DS? I really like the effect, for me it's like running around in perfectly formed little dioramas :)

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,324
    I have tried the DS, the 3D is actually really terrible it works not very well, basically you have to put your head in the exact right place to work and to be honest it makes everything a bit blurry. If I was to get one the 3D would never be on. Plus it sucks up battery like nobodies business.

  6. #6
    Cannot wait for this. I gots it preordered.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    The '3D' aspect of 3DS isn't a huge selling point for me either. From what I've read about its limitations, frankly I'd rather the GPU horsepower went elsewhere. And no, SM3DL isn't 'just like other Mario games' except insofar as all FPS games are about shooting things. Much has been written about the design philosophies behind the game for those willing to look. Addressing another point raised, as Eurogamer has noted 3DS is actually selling better than DS was at this point in its lifespan... and we all know what happened there.

    Mind you the uptake has almost certainly been retarded amongst gamers 'in the know' by the now-all-but-confirmed-suspicion that Nintendo is working on a revised system for release next year. I know I probably would've bought it by this point otherwise. As it stands I think Mario Kart 7 is going to sorely test my discipline.
    Last edited by Rii; 07-11-2011 at 07:48 AM.

  8. #8
    Network Hub Donjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    The '3D' aspect of 3DS isn't a huge selling point for me either. From what I've read about its limitations, frankly I'd rather the GPU horsepower went elsewhere. And no, SM3DL isn't 'just like other Mario games' except insofar as all FPS games are about shooting things. Much has been written about the design philosophies behind the game for those willing to look. Addressing another point raised, as Eurogamer has noted 3DS is actually selling better than DS was at this point in its lifespan... and we all know what happened there.

    Mind you the uptake has almost certainly been retarded amongst gamers 'in the know' by the now-all-but-confirmed-suspicion that Nintendo is working on a revised system for release next year. I know I probably would've bought it by this point otherwise. As it stands I think Mario Kart 7 is going to sorely test my discipline.
    Hmm... just looked that up now.. apparently the new model will feature less 3D effect, because of all the stories about it hurting peoples eyes or what ever-
    http://www.3dsbuzz.com/3ds-forum/nin...h-2012-a-4188/

    In the video preview of Mario didn't they say there will be an option to increase the 3D, more than what the slider will do?
    That'd make sense if the new systems default was a lowered effect.....

  9. #9
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    362
    If you preorder Super Mario 3D Land from Game or Gamestation (UK only) you'll "receive a 3DS pouch bearing artwork from the game". http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/201...io_3ds_pouches

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Ars' is the first review of the game I've seen crop up: Go buy a 3DS: Super Mario 3D Land is a platforming classic

  11. #11
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewie Procter View Post
    Cannot wait for this. I gots it preordered.
    Do you fancy writing a review of Super Mario 3D Land for us forumites? If so, I'll buy you a virtual pint?

    Off topic: Is anyone else here a Club Nintendo member? If so I have 3 codes that I can't register as I've already registered my copies. A relative gave me the inlays with the silver panels untouched.

    They are for New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Play.
    Last edited by Heister; 09-11-2011 at 09:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    As usual the weaker reviews are the more interesting. In this case from 1up:

    Super Mario 3D Land's playful reverence for (and references to) the 8-bit days reminds us that Super Mario Bros. 3 truly was an amazing game, but it does so at the expense of its own identity. I have a hard time imagining that, 20 years from now, Nintendo's designers will be looking back at 3D Land as a template for a new game the way 3D Land builds on Mario 3's iconography. Ultimately, that's the difference between a good Mario game and a great one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    Off topic: Is anyone else here a Club Nintendo member? If so I have 3 codes that I can't register as I've already registered my copies. A relative gave me the inlays with the silver panels untouched.
    I've tried to register a couple of times but the codes always bounce on me. Not sure what's up with that and I haven't been bothered enough to find out. =/

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    IMO of course.
    Oh thank god.

  14. #14
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post

    I've tried to register a couple of times but the codes always bounce on me. Not sure what's up with that and I haven't been bothered enough to find out. =/
    I've registered a few products recently with no problems. Not able to register multiple copies though.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    The '3D' aspect of 3DS isn't a huge selling point for me either. From what I've read about its limitations, frankly I'd rather the GPU horsepower went elsewhere.
    If you have the 3D turned off 2x anti-aliasing gets turned on, in Ocarina of Time at least. Personally I don't mind the 3D effect, I haven't had any worse headaches or eyestrain than I had with my old DS, nor have I had any major problem with the battery life (although I am flying to Vietnam in the summer, which I fear may cause some issues).

    I'm still on the fence about Super Mario Land 3D, I do enjoy Mario platformers but I've never been really enthused by one and from what I've heard it plays more like an old-school 2D platformer, which I'm universally terrible at. I will, however, definetley be getting Mario Kart 7.

  16. #16
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    I bought a 3DS day one, being a Nintendo fanboy and all that. I've fairly used, partially because the battery life isn't great (not bad, but not good enough to really make it worth using much) and also because I get distracted by other things rather too easily. It certainly is missing a second circle pad. I kept wishing there was one right from start of Rayman 3D (Rayman 2). Using the right shoulder button just breaks immersion.

    Now more of the better games are coming out, I just can't afford them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I'd rather the GPU horsepower went elsewhere.
    Well it can if the developer decides not use 3D. Unfortunately as 3D has been pushed a lot for it, I'm doubtful many games will take advantage of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •