Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar

V-syncing Terran Conflict

Partial specs:

Intel i5 760 (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    8GB ram
    ATI 5830
    Win7 64

Generally, V-sync fixes any screen-tearing issues, but I can't find a workable solution for X3: Terran Conflict. Granted, I'm running at basically full eyecandy (native res/1920x1080, high texture quality, 4x AA, 4x AF), but in all other aspects, the game is smooth and loverly. Apparently Catalyst's program override settings aren't helping. I might dive into the 250-page-plus thread at Something Awful and see what pops up -- in the meantime, any ideas? I'll try turning down the eyecandy and maybe even some compat mode sorcery and see if that helps.

Thanks, guys. Thauys.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Are you forcing the driver to v-sync?

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Are you forcing the driver to v-sync?
    The only way I know to force v-sync is through Catalyst, if that's what you mean. I've turned it to always on, but I still get tearing.

I *should* be fully up to date with drivers and Catalyst, though it's worth a double-check when I get home.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    That's what I meant, Catalyst - Forceware drivers. Anyway beware of newest drivers, often they're unstable and it's worth having the last stable instead.

Network Hub
    Try using ATI Tray Tools, apparently it does the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mistabashi. I meant to try that last night, but ended up tweaking stuff via Catalyst and in-game options. Another wrinkle -- it doesn't tear when windowed in 1920 x 1080, only full-screened. Very odd.

According to Dxdiag, I'm behind on my Catalyst driver by one update and my audio is still running the very first driver, which is a no-no (though the audio works fine). I'll try this stuff next, then ATI Tray Tools. Failing all of that, it'd be time to start sacrificing children.
    steam

Welp, I've updated my audio and gfx drivers and gave it a shot, but no dice. Played around with some other configurations -- low quality textures, AA off, AQC on/off, etc -- and still no love. So I tried ATI Tray Tools and, unless I set it up incorrectly, it wasn't my knight in shining armor either. I was able to display FPS, though, and I'm consistently between 60-70. I've noticed the tearing is not just happening on the planets, either. It's just more noticeable.

I know everyone with a PC is playing Skyrim nonstop today and tomorrow and forever, but if a dxdiag-literate gentleperson could kindly take a look here and maybe impart some advice, I'd be most appreciative.
    steam

This problem is not causing me any X:TC.

Ecstasy.

I'm sorry.
    steam