Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Battlefield 3: Planes, Copters, and crashing into the ground.

So as much as I'd love to hop in a jet and rain terror from the skies, every time I try to fly in Battlefield 3 it invariably ends up in one of 3 scenarios: flying outside the map, immediately getting shot out of the sky by an engineer, or triumphantly flying straight into the ground almost immediately. And that's only when I can find one before some other guy spawns right in it as I futilely run towards it. I find it incredibly frustrating that there's absolutely no way to practice outside of diving right in, so I guess I need to find a different game with a similar control scheme that I can practice in. I have Bad Company 2, and could feasibly get my hands on the older Battlefields, but that wouldn't really help me with the jet controls. Any suggestions? I don't really care about price; since this is simply to account for the shortcomings in another game, in all honesty I'll probably just end up pirating it and only playing until I get a grasp on the controls.

I tried my 360 controller and the keyboard, but the controls really aren't intuitive enough in any combination I've tried to grasp before I get blown out of the sky.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    For jets I use WASD+directional, for choppers I use WASD+mouse. Both are all about never, ever, ever flying in a straight line.

I've noticed, lately, 8-man servers that promote "learn to fly." Haven't tried any of 'em, but it might be a good idea.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Best thing is to find an empty server somewhere that's set to start when 1 person joins. I found a flying practice server that someone set up, which was really helpful when getting my controls properly working.

I would have been good if DICE had allowed you to play any of the maps in a practice mode where you can jump in any vehicle to practice controlling them and to get a good control setup. You wouldn't even need bots. However the bots mode of BF1942 and BF2 would have been a great way to get some practice offline.

First of all, use the mouse to fly the jet. A+D control the rudder, and it does help but to really maneuver the thing you need to use the mouse to control pitch and bank. Secondly, play small rush maps and fly the transport/scout choppers, they are easy to fly and you'll be less likely to be shot down. Thirdly, don't spawn in at base and wait to jump into a jet. You can spawn straight into a jet as soon as it becomes available. Wait on the spawn menu after you die. In order to get into the jet before other people click on it as soon as it appears in the spawn menu then press enter.

You will be shot down by missiles quite a bit until you unlock flares. That is a design flaw IMO, but don't worry. You'll get there eventually, all you need to do is spray and pray with the cannon and you'll soon rack up enough assists to get 300 points or whatever you need for IR flares.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've only played Battlefield 1942, but it was pretty much the same way.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    You will be shot down by missiles quite a bit until you unlock flares. That is a design flaw IMO, but don't worry. You'll get there eventually, all you need to do is spray and pray with the cannon and you'll soon rack up enough assists to get 300 points or whatever you need for IR flares.
    If you're flying a jet on a quiet server, you can machine-gun the unoccupied enemy vehicles on the ground for, I think, 100 points each. You'll quickly rack up enough points for flares.

Air combat as it should be done:

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Air combat as it should be done:
    What the fucking fuck
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    That. Was. Glorious.

Jesus Christ.

Network Hub
    Having to unlock flares (never mind weapons beyond the cannon) is one of the stupidest design decisions in the game. The Super Hornet costs $55mil, sending it up defenceless is idiocy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I think that in a perverse way the unlocks fit with the trial-by-fire nature of learning to fly, but after 4 or 5 games of losing the objective because I'm too busy dicking around in the air I'd like a less punishing intro to the controls.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Having to unlock flares (never mind weapons beyond the cannon) is one of the stupidest design decisions in the game. The Super Hornet costs $55mil, sending it up defenceless is idiocy.
    Having one person have a $55 million jet and another have nothing but an AK74... that's balance.

Just play the game, fer chrissakes.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I tried something yesterday that seemed to work quite well. Move your mouse so it's close to your keyboard. Fly using the arrow keys, until you get an enemy more or less in your sights, then switch to using the mouse. Use the mouse to make the kill, or use it until they get away, then switch to third-person (wider view angle) and resume flying with arrows.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Having one person have a $55 million jet and another have nothing but an AK74... that's balance.

Just play the game, fer chrissakes.
    That's the point, though, it's kinda hard to play if you have no effective weapons and no means of defending yourself. There was nothing wrong with the planes in BF1942 coming fully equipped from the off.

Network Hub
    Having played Jane's F-15/F/A-18, Falcon 4.0, and DCS: A:10C, the planes in BF3 are harder to fly using a joystick compared to those purpose-built flight simulators. Unfortunately DICE has never heard of using the POV hat switch to look around the cockpit.

Helicopters on the other hand are a joy to fly for me, except it's just so damned easy for the ground pounders to counter them.

I sort of hope DICE has flares and A/A missiles unlocked for everyone at some point in the future so whoever you are, you have a chance. It seems pretty messed up a few months down the line someone new coming into BF3 is trying the jet and being pitted against someone who's a Jedi with it and has everything unlocked.
    Last edited by Kevin; 08-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It seems pretty messed up a few months down the line someone new coming into BF3 is trying the jet and being pitted against someone who's a Jedi with it and has everything unlocked.
    Apparently this is called 'progress'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    I tried something yesterday that seemed to work quite well. Move your mouse so it's close to your keyboard. Fly using the arrow keys, until you get an enemy more or less in your sights, then switch to using the mouse. Use the mouse to make the kill, or use it until they get awa.
    If you fly with keyboard only then why not just use spacebar to fire weapons?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Aiming while flying with arrow keys is like trying to eat pasta with canoe paddles.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I used to fly in BF1942 using my Saitek stick and WASD for throttle and rudder. Worked quite well!