Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I think that in a perverse way the unlocks fit with the trial-by-fire nature of learning to fly, but after 4 or 5 games of losing the objective because I'm too busy dicking around in the air I'd like a less punishing intro to the controls.
    agreed.

I've found using a 360 pad better for Jets by a mile for general flying.
    ================================================== ===
    Find me here: Steam / Origin / XboxLive : Citruspunch
    ================================================== ===

Network Hub
    If you have a friend who doesn't mind waiting while you buzz around, you can go and do the helicopter co-op mission which will give you some good practice at flying. I haven't gone much further than that so I don't know if there's a fixed wing mission later in the list.

Kinda related question while we're on the subject of flight. I was in a game where my team's Spawn Beacon was floating way up at altitude of a couple of hundred feet in the air, presumably someone threw it out of a heli? It stayed there for the usual duration. A bug exploit - or an intended feature of beacons for para assaults?? (weird, if the latter..)

Jet tips:

1. Lock-on missiles are largely useless for taking out other jets. Unless they don't have flares (Which if they don't, they're likely inexperienced) It's relatively easy and a lot quicker to take out said jets with the cannon instead. It's silent up until the point when you fire, so you can sneak up on them (Providing they're not using the radar perk thing). One good burst will disable a jet.

2. Stay in third-person mode until you're about to try to lock on (But you shouldn't be doing that... ;) ) or when you're about to fire the cannon. Third-person mode is a lot easier to track an evasive jet with, and will do wonders for your peripheral vision.

The downside? You're fucked when you go into a hardcore server.

3. The best ways to avoid a lock from ground targets or helicopters are to either get as low as possible, and then burn straight back to your home base, or to get as high as possible (You risk stalling, though.). Jets are the only thing that can keep up with you, so assuming you're only being locked by ground targets you should be able to get away before they can even get a solid lock, let alone fire a missile.

4. The best way to avoid a crafty jet who's on your tail is to decelerate as much as possible. Most times I've tried this, enemy pilots don't suspect it and shoot straight past you. Beware of stalling, however! If you angle your jet slightly downwards you should avoid this.

If that's not working, here's another tactic: When banking hard to avoid a jet, remember that when you change bank direction to confuse him, you'll hover in the centre of his reticule for a second, making it easier to lock/kill you. When changing direction, bank perpendicularly to the last direction. Slightly more unexpected.

5. When being locked: Don't panic! There are three tones that sound in sequence when you're being locked:

The first is a low 'beep-beep-beep-beep'. This is fine. Do not panic. That means that someone's trying to get a lock on you, so you have plenty of time to maneuver away.

The second is a low 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep'. This tells you that you've been locked, and the attacker can fire a missile at any time. Once again, do not panic. You want to save your flares until the very last moment. If you pop them before he's fired, then you'll be at a disadvantage once he's relocked (Which takes less time after flares) and fired.

This is what separates the foolish from the calm. Experienced missile users will wait for the pilot to panic and use his/her flares. If this is the case, and you're following my tips on how to escape locks (above), then you should be able to get away in time before they give up waiting and fire.

The third, is a high-pitched 'De-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de!) DON'T PANIC. As soon as you hear this tone, you need to pop flares. This means that a missile's been fired at you. Or several! Joy. Just pop those flares.

When the flares are popped, you'll a 5 second (May be a bit more) period until you can use them again. That means that you need to get away as fast as possible from the source of the missile - Often the best solution is to just burn back to base.

6. If you're in a jet, you really don't want to be on the enemy's half of the map. Ideally you should be within a short distance of your home base most of the time. That way, you'll be over the bases' AA defense. (Assuming someone on your team is competent enough to be using it... Grumble grumble.)

This is all probably very, very obvious. But I've killed a lot of foolish pilots/survived a lot of locks this way.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Kinda related question while we're on the subject of flight. I was in a game where my team's Spawn Beacon was floating way up at altitude of a couple of hundred feet in the air, presumably someone threw it out of a heli? It stayed there for the usual duration. A bug exploit - or an intended feature of beacons for para assaults?? (weird, if the latter..)
    I think that's the point of spawn beacons, and it must be intended as I've had it several times. It lets you approach the location in a number of ways as opposed to landing in an easily anticipated spot for the enemy to shoot at.

Also, I know it's largely pointless nowadays, but is it possible to land your planes again? It was in BF1942.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I think that's the point of spawn beacons, and it must be intended as I've had it several times. It lets you approach the location in a number of ways as opposed to landing in an easily anticipated spot for the enemy to shoot at.
    Yeah. Put a spawn beacon inside and you spawn on top of it. Put it outside and you airdrop onto it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yeah. Put a spawn beacon inside and you spawn on top of it. Put it outside and you airdrop onto it.
    Ah, thanks that makes sense. Nearly of the beacons I'd spawned to were indoors so the airdrop was a WTF moment the first time it happened. Another one to add to the list of Obvious Stuff in BF3 MP I Wish Someone Had Told Me From The Get-go.

Network Hub
    The 360 version at least (as that's where all my friends are playing) comes with the smallest manual I've yet seen, a feat of some determination on EA's behalf. Very little is explained in the 'in-game manual' either.

How I'd love a manual of 15 years ago, with detailed descriptions of the weapons and vehicles and different things you could do... surely a Battlefield game deserves it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    The 360 version at least (as that's where all my friends are playing) comes with the smallest manual I've yet seen, a feat of some determination on EA's behalf. Very little is explained in the 'in-game manual' either.

How I'd love a manual of 15 years ago, with detailed descriptions of the weapons and vehicles and different things you could do... surely a Battlefield game deserves it?
    Look, just because they spent $70 million on an ad campaign doesn't mean they can afford to hire a writer for $50k a year to make 100 picture-covered pages with basic English on them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    You're right, of course. How ungrateful of me.

Network Hub
    Gunning in an attack chopper with no 3rd person view kills spotting.

3rd person view = cockpit view WTF??

Network Hub
    I practiced a bit, still couldn't do anything, got frustrated and dug out my USB 360 pad wireless connector. Still hard, but much better - I've actually shot down a couple of planes! 3rd person view (default is clicking the right stick to switch, which is handy) is pretty good for flying around until you find a target to home in on.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I think smaller maps might not have air drops. I would imagine none of the urban maps do, with them probably being reserved for maps with air vehicles.

I've only taken a helicopter and jet up once each and neither was particularly successful. The jet seemed okay to control, if all you want to do was stay in the air, but I never actually managed to even get near shooting someone else. Whilst flying the helicopter ended very abruptly, when I started going backwards straight after taking off.

Activated Node
    You get used to flying helicopters after a while. In BF2 it took me a while; I flipped backwards pretty straight away at first too. Eventually I was zooming just above the trees and buildings blowing up half the vehicles on the map.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    If you fly with keyboard only then why not just use spacebar to fire weapons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Aiming while flying with arrow keys is like trying to eat pasta with canoe paddles.
    This, essentially. Arrow keys allow you to manoeuvre better when you need to turn or climb sharply, mouse lets you fine-tune your aim for the kill. Unless you're using missiles, in which case you don't really need to be precise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been able to fly helicopters well, still got it from BF2. Was never good wit jets or planes in 1942, more of a tanker.

It is painful to get that first 400 points in a jet so you have flares. After that now I get shot to hell by more than one missle or have 2 jets on me. Was lucky enough to get a couple heli kills and Jet kill for those 1st points.

I wish they gave more points to Blackhawk pilots. I kept one up for almost the entire Rush map but you only get 10 (20) for assist points. Blackhawk with 2 gunners and 1 engineer is deadly.

Have had some crazy intense moments to control my disabled copter to land and repair it. They have been one of the most thrilling.

Hmmmm, my admittedly limited experience with BF2 is that

1) Fighters and choppers were damn hard to get and harder to fly/learn to fly

2) A good jet pilot is immune to attacks from the ground and can rip up/pin down a whole opposing team with bombs

Is this still true? For me they were pretty much the most annoying aspect of the game.

Obscure Node
    In my experience aircraft aren't too hard to get because you can spawn into them. 32 player maps seem your best bet. Having a variable-sensitivity mouse helps for jets.

Jets don't get bombs, they do unlock rockets and guided missiles later on (I haven't got that far yet, but the missiles need teamwork) but until then you're limited to strafing runs with cannon, which aren't amazingly effective.

I didn't play BF2 but jets seem well balanced to me. I've never been really suppressed by a jet; choppers are better at it but a couple of good stinger crews can solve that. And it's amazing how many pilots forget about static base defences.

Just my 2p.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Jets were hilariously OP in BF2. They had cannons, air-to-air missiles, and unguided bombs that did massive damage. Add to that the F35's ability to hover and you essentially have a super-fast helicopter gunship where the gunner and pilot are the same person. Disadvantages were that all the weapons had limited ammo - from what I remember you got two sets of bombs, four missiles, and several thousand cannon shells. You had to fly over the runway slowly or land to rearm and repair.
    They were, for me, easier to fly than in BF3. Much less vulnerable to anti-air because you had flares from the start and they lasted much longer, and the stall ceiling was much higher. Also, BF2's maps had more varied topography - there were more hills to hide behind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    In BF2 jets are good for two things, delivery and fighting jets, except the MEC 2 man fighter which is the iron fist of the god of war. I used to team up with a friend in that thing and it was insane, sometimes I even had a commander calling in targets for us and we flat out cleaned up... Regular jets never hurt anyone meaningfully though.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/