Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar

A Thread About RPS Moderation: Questions, Comments, Concerns

Even when kept excellent, discussion about moderation tends to run long, and I thought it would be nice to plop this thread here so the next time something comes up it doesn't clog the RPS Feedback Thread or the Some Forum Feedback Thread. As the last thread that housed such discussion was closed, here is a new place to act as a pressure valve for the other feedback threads by collecting discussion about moderation.

Please use this thread for voice specific concerns, questions and comments on the ongoing moderation transition process. There have been a number of changes around here and they have sparked much discussion and controversy.

Please do not use this thread to air specific grievances between you and another poster, or to issue personal attacks against posters (including moderators). The former is what PMs and in certain cases the report function are for and the later is not constructive or accepted in the forums.

Feel free to make suggestions, ask about specific moderation events within reason, discuss ongoing concerns and so forth. While I obviously cannot stop anyone from discussing aspects of forum moderation that have already been discussed in depth, perusing these recent threads (also these) will catch you up on the, frequently quite heated (and oddly titled), discussion that has been had up to this point. I would like to avoid a blow-by-blow rehashing of past discussions. Related matters have also been discussed in the RPS Feedback and Some Forum Feedback threads (stickied) and various threads across the site which you may or may not have come across.

With that, have at you!

Edit: Rule 1 of making forum threads--you will screw up the title somehow. That should read RPS Forum Moderation. If anyone can do such things and would be so kind as to fix that, I'd be greatful. Or just Forum Moderation.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 01-10-2013 at 05:11 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

We were discussing making one of these, one of the problems is, however, that only Jim reigns over these subforums, so there can be no editing as in post deletion from our parts, and as you know, Jim doesnt bother with it.

That being said, check the thread mohorovic made ages ago for the latest post, and give me some feedback.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I left a comment in-thread with respect to pedophilia, but I don't really have much to add with respect to moderation. Resurrecting old threads to avoid redundancy is one thing, but resurrecting old threads just to holler angrily at (incidentally banned) individuals isn't exactly conducive to smooth forum proceedings.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I reported that post, and I'm glad the guy got swiftly banned - if your very first post in a forum is going to be like *that*, well... (necromancy itself isn't necessarily bad, but the content, dear lord)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Do not directly reply to comments and talk about moderating directly to the person you are moderating in the thread. Its to easy to see it as more of a personal bias and does more derailing of the thread than the person being moderated was doing.

Do continue note posts for non excellence in red and basic actions taken. (warned, temp-banned, banned, etc). You can leave any explanation out of it even. Most mod actions will be self evident to others reading the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Suggestion: Place RED WARNINGS and stuff ABOVE the post's body of text instead of below. It saves us from reading horrible stuff.

Also, *BEAR HUG* to everyone involved.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 01-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Thing is, I didnt ban him, Jim did. Didnt even ask for it, and I cannot ban just from one post. Hence my message was directed at him directly. (and as a warning to others)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I don't have feelings about the particular circumstance, but I feel that while Moraven's post resonates with me? Sometimes it's good to put a warning in-thread. Depends on context. But in general, it's best to supply what transparency demands edited into the post followed by what honesty demands in a PM to the user. In cases where only a warning is necessary or when you think the behavior goes beyond the poster that merited specific action, warning the thread at large in-situ makes sense.

My two cents.

Also yay for bear hugs!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the warning was fair, and the ban reasonable, as long as he was being banned insulting people and the general attitude, rather than the belief/opinion. He's right in so far as fantasy is fine, and we don't do thought crime in a civilized society.

It's the difference between someone coming here and trying to explain why rape is okay (ban them) and someone coming here and explaining why they can enjoy a rape fantasy (fair opinion).

I think what would be useful is a sticky or such explaining what has changed recently in terms of moderation (and then close it right off and point people here if they want to discuss?)

I like that idea! Seconded.

this might be just me, but "I would fuck one of those bitches" is pretty borderline. probably just me.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Also wanted you all to know that because my comment towards nalano was so out of line, Jim has made it (rightly so) very clear that that will be the last time I get to do that, otherwise I lose my moderator status. Just FYI.

Let the baiting commence!
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 02-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Theres a guy running around the forums that's being a dick. However, the mods havent been on yesterday, and since its a weekend, Jim will only get to it today, so hes still alive (even though I banned him on saturday, but I can only do 2 days)

He will be cut out of the forum, by the way, completely destroyed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Is fun how spammers choose names based on random letters.

Like this one:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?25703

stuff:
    http://jsbin.com/OZaQUho/1/

---

sorry for the offtopic!!
    Last edited by Tei; 29-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Good luck getting a true random number generator generator ;)
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

keep the chat out of the thread, though. this is just for mod feedback. (and only Jim can cull stuff in here, and he tends to lock first, ask questions later, dont say I didnt warn ya'll!)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

RE: recent deletions, bannings, etc.

Noone on the mod staff deletes threads unless theyre spam, as far as I know. Jim was called to moderate the recent threads complaining about the comment section being turned off on that sarkeesian thing, he felt it fit to delete or ban or whatever results happened from that.

So if you have any complaints about the comment section being shut down for that article: fine, just dont post about it.

If you have criticism of Sarkeesian and her women vs tropes in games thing, theres a thread for that in the PC Gaming forum: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...n-Video-Games/

If you think that John is a past tense form of twit and deserves to be scolded: he's @botherer on twitter.

If you however think that you disagree with John and would like to comment on that: please feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forums. If regarding not regarding games, then please do post in offtopic. If regarding sexism in games, please post in the PC Gaming forum, possibly the Women Vs Tropes thread, mentioned above.

And in all of these matters, be excellent.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 26-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Network Hub
    How come nobody's banned squirrel yet?

He's been reported and on the mods' radar.

And infracted several times throughout the new modship. He's shown improvement, so I want to give him a chance, but he might need a timeout, I agree.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications