Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

We deserve better than this, right?

I fully appreciate the tangled web of tradeoffs that result from the trying to get ad-supported media websites to pay for themselves. I deal with that stuff every day. By the way, thanks for not allowing all kinds of slidey-inny shit and pop-overs.

That said, I'm actually just here to complain about these 'promoted' stories. Is there a way to filter out the shittiest sex clickbait 'content'?

Yours in annoying complaints.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Adblock is your friend, right click block this advert on an image, drag the slider to encompass the lot.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

While those suggestions are good I feel they don't really get at the problem. That those things exist in the first place.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You might be interested in this story - while it's not the same firm, it's the same kind of deal (Taboola seem worse/generally even trashier, IMO). Nothing revelatory or anything, but I can't be the only one who wondered "Who the hell are these people?".

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    While those suggestions are good I feel they don't really get at the problem. That those things exist in the first place.
    If RPS had any editorial control I assume they would have fixed it by now. Likely they are contracted up, I choose to believe this.

Fighting sexism with one hand, while accepting sexist ad revenue with the other. It's a great way to get your message across...

To be fair, I think they tried do do something about it a long time ago, if I remember correctly. It's not the first time this has been brought up, but it looks like they didn't care very much.
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If RPS had any editorial control I assume they would have fixed it by now. Likely they are contracted up, I choose to believe this.
    I may have a thoroughly mixed opinion of RPS at the moment but I can only agree, this is pretty obviously something they'd have corrected if they could.
    Last edited by vinraith; 04-10-2014 at 02:02 AM.

It's a strong lesson in not signing away editorial control.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    It's a strong lesson in not signing away editorial control.
    Yup. 123456

RPS writers have said repeatedly, when these new adverts started, that they DO have some input in order to remove anything they don't want appearing... they DO have some control over what appears. Either they aren't aware of the distasteful images appearing, or they need that filthy lucre too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I am Mr Alec Meer, lord of hair Bonzrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    RPS writers have said repeatedly, when these new adverts started, that they DO have some input in order to remove anything they don't want appearing... they DO have some control over what appears. Either they aren't aware of the distasteful images appearing, or they need that filthy lucre too much.

We've got assorted filtering set up that's supposed to prevent problematic things from appearing, but some squeak through despite this. We zap the bad ones as they appear for us, but different links appear for different people, dependent on geography, browsing habits etc. We definitely want to hear from you when you spot dodgy ones, please, so we can kill them asap and tighten the filters further.
    Peace through tyranny

The reason they use these methods is because its hard to stamp down on anything admins don't get.

Honestly, you might want to consider different methods of advertising.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    These ads are made by a (very successful) company called Taboola, or a similar company.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29322578

Damn was beat.

These companies exist entirely to make clickbait. And it apparently it works very, very well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But that's just a cop-out. There's always the option of going with other ad providers. Those ad providers don't pay half as much as these ones? Well no. But that's the exact same dilemma developers and publishers of games face. They're not putting under-dressed women and primarily male protagonists into their games because they don't know any better. It's because that's what sells.

Actually, there is someone from the advertising company that gets rid of these things that stalks the forums, posting in here will change stuff like that.

Also, do I really need to remind people to remain excellent?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    These ads are made by a (very successful) company called Taboola, or a similar company.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29322578

Damn was beat.

These companies exist entirely to make clickbait. And it apparently it works very, very well.
    RPS go with Outbrain, right? Which seems significantly less distasteful on the whole and does throw up content that's related to what RPS do, sometimes. Seriously, though, Outbrain does feature trashy stuff, but AV Club use Taboola, and it's like being slapped in the face with the National Enquirer halfway through an article, sometimes, reading that site. Awful, awful network. Yeah, people click on this stuff. Yeah, both networks - and any others that may exist - are insanely successful and clearly not going anywhere, at least for the moment. But if you prey on people's appetite for the lowest common denominator and make absolutely no attempt to hide it, then you're damn right I'm going to look down my nose at you, I don't really care if it makes me a snob.

Activated Node
    It is kind of funny that RPS gets ads for Second Life that try to be titillating (at least as titillating at the poor game model quality allows), while the Second Life ads I see on other sites are tamer.

I'll be honest, as a woman, seeing all those titties and ass ads keep making me feel uncomfortable. I'm not against using sex to sell, but they are just constant and on almost every article I read here...

Quote Originally Posted by commentingaccount View Post
    I'll be honest, as a woman, seeing all those titties and ass ads keep making me feel uncomfortable. I'm not against using sex to sell, but they are just constant and on almost every article I read here...
    report them! someone from the advertising part of eurogamer, which is where RPS gets their ads from, can ban stuff but not if he doesnt know they exist. Theyre different for everyone, regionally and so on. He will check here and kill em.

(essentially, its ad companies that slip in their ads without the provider officially knowing about it, and they need to be pruned)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."