Differences between staff and freelancers?

RPS has come a long way from the days when it was mostly 4 Guys Have A Blog; freelancers have gone from people who write regular but self-contained columns to doing the weekend news posts.

My question is: what does this mean for "the hivemind?" For instance, when RPS votes on their Game of the Month - who is voting? Just the people with picture on the About Us page? All the freelancers active in the last month? Ditto for the Advent Calendar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The hivemind is no more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I imagine the answer is "whoever is in the chat room when they are putting it together"

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I imagine the answer is "whoever is in the chat room when they are putting it together"
    I hope not. I'm not just curious - I run the annual guessing game for the advent calendar and we need *something* to go on, damnit! :)

And now I've got mental images of Aerothorn sacrificing part of his weekend throughout the whole of 2015 carefully picking the names. Playing the long game aren't you!
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The hivemind is no more.

This is true. RPS is getting more like VG247 than what it used to be when it was a few guys blogging about games. But then they are part of that VG247/Eurogamer group.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by agamer View Post

This is true. RPS is getting more like VG247 than what it used to be when it was a few guys blogging about games. But then they are part of that VG247/Eurogamer group.
    It's not a group as such, they just all share the same advertising provider.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's not a group as such, they just all share the same advertising provider.
    The hivemind?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Eh more Richard Cobbett and Rob Zachny can only be a good thing.

Richard Cobbett is my spirit animal.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

Staff: Typically an 8+ hour day. You may have one or two assignments, maybe none at all (oh, and you can’t choose your own jobs. So if you’re stuck with government interpreting, peace!) If you do not have an assignment, typically you will go to an office where you can study up on vocabulary, receptive skills, etc. It is a steady income, but really not to hefty as far as salary is concerned. They do take out taxes for you though.

Freelance: It’s as flexible as they get. You pick your own jobs, you make your own schedule. Don’t wanna work on Fridays? K. Decline all work that is passed your way. Freelancers typically get paid more as well, sometimes double or triple the amount of a staff terp. Oh, and they get mileage too. But, you gotta do your own taxes, either yearly or quarterly, which can be a bummer.

I...I think germany was joking? I can't tell. Internet sarcasm and all that!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    I...I think germany was joking? I can't tell. Internet sarcasm and all that!
    Everybody knows that the staff are all salaryman office drones that are the first against the wall when the revolution comes, while freelancers are special snowflakes that makes art in the form of yet another bootstrap/gulp/bower/fad-of-the-day/whatever-tech-is-on-hn-top-stories CRUD web app.

Wait, are we still taking about RPS?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Bin the .exes to get it high.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    freelancers are special snowflakes that makes art in the form of yet another bootstrap/gulp/bower/fad-of-the-day/whatever-tech-is-on-hn-top-stories CRUD web app
    Jesus F Christ, ain't that the truth.

Obscure Node
    Staff are people who excel at one thing, while freelancers are jack-of-all-trades, at least, that's what I've noticed.
    Video games and woodwork are two similar things, they make you scream during certain conditions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barndive View Post
    Staff are people who excel at one thing
    Usually not much more than Excel.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Bin the .exes to get it high.

Administrator
    The hivemind persists. We've broken Kieron and Jim down for their fatty acids, but we're re-feeding them back as a slurry mix to the current core team. Freelance auxiliary nodes continue our work while the hivemind rests.

Game of the Month and Games Of The Year are full-time staff voting, so John, Alec, Adam, Pip, Alice and me. Last year Jim was involved with GOTY also. And last year we did a separate article for the Contributor's Picks for GOTY: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...ibutors-picks/

There's a debate to be had about whether we should include folks like Tim Stone, Richard Cobbett, etc. in the end-of-year game selection. It'd arguably result in a more diverse list, but also it'd lose the opportunity to get to know the core team better. We're trying to walk that line of Doing More and Covering More, because PC gaming is bigger than ever and there's always more we want to write about and cast attention upon, while still maintaining that sense of 2 Ladies And 4 Guys Have A Blog.

Thanks so much for the response, Graham! It's both an interesting insight into RPS and will also help the eventual Advent Calendar. Last year we all got taken by surprise with Revengeance (even though I absolutely agreed with the pick) because we had failed to account for The Alice Factor ;)

Administrator
    And me. Revengeance was great! I like the odd bit of Devil May Cry and Revengeance even more so for the way it manages to work in stealth mechanics.