Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar

Can't comment on flare path articles

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but haven't found a better place.

I can't comment on flare path articles, but I can comment on other articles for some reason.

Suspect I've fallen afoul of the spam protection in some way, but it seems a bit random.

I wish you luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I found myself suddenly unable to comment a year ago. I brought it up on these forums, and after a week or so, an admin responded with a one-sentence reply along the lines of, "It appears you were banned for spamming." Further requests for more information (there was absolutely no spam on my part, and no one could point to the offending post) were ignored, as were requests for information about the appeals process.

I love RPS, but the spam protection here is a joke. Average readers are banned without explanations or appeals, and spambots STILL manage to hit every article.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'm not sure if anyone took notice and did something, but a couple of weeks after my original post I could comment on FP articles again.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusForbeare View Post
    I love RPS, but the spam protection here is a joke. Average readers are banned without explanations or appeals, and spambots STILL manage to hit every article.
    Well, I might be next, but for years I've been an on and off commenter on RPS, and I'm not the most positive one either, chances are if I'm commenting is to disagree or disapprove.

I see forum regulars whenever I pay a visit, and lots of other nicks I recognize: what I mean is, if users get banned, it's either a terrible, terrible mistake or (most likely) they went looking for a ban. I'm not saying you did, just my experience.

As for spambots, I fully agree the situation could be improved a lot, but since they had to disable editing I'm hoping sooner or later there will be some drastic change for the better.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"