Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Pay Gated Articles

I did not expect this, by all means give contributors an ugly as sin Jpeg title under their name. Hell, I won't even say "but" and imply any entitlement. I've been distant with the attitude of the front page for a while. I guess all the politically charged articles can be deployed within the echo chamber of a subscriber group, it's win win for the writers and the most fervent supporters.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    . I guess all the politically charged articles can be deployed within the echo chamber of a subscriber group, it's win win for the writers and the most fervent supporters.
    I doubt it, that wouldn't make much sense. I'd expect it to be longer-form stuff, game diaries, etc. that we see.

Not happy about it, but for anyone worried about press corruption and so on, this is brilliant news, because it's games journalism directed by, written for, and paid for by the reader. Not advertisers. If the GamerGate lot genuinely care about press ethics they should be very excited about this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    As soon as they drop adverts, sure until then it's just additional revenue.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

so far, its diaries and retrospects. essentially, extras.

Still use adblock, but I do that everywhere anyway.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    As long as we get a Supporter RSS feed for titles-only, so that we plebs can see what we are missing.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Sure makes the comments look ugly. And this is unfair and illogical, but it makes me think negatively of commenters when they have that tag.

RPS used to be cool, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    As long as we get a Supporter RSS feed for titles-only, so that we plebs can see what we are missing.
    This was my first reaction, but on the other hand I feel like it's a totally valid need for a press to be paid directly by it's consumers (and an interesting way to become less reliant on advertising), so I feel the need to force myself to accept that it's a good thing in the end. And I'm pretty sure a paying base could increase the quality of the site as a whole, and not only the paying customer only articles.

And all things considered 20 dollars for 6 months is alright, I might even consider getting into the program if only it didn't required me to use paypal (god I hate paypal)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    RPS used to be cool

Hipster :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Those badges are butt ugly. Putting content behind a paywall is a surefire way to send me elsewhere for news, but I suppose it's been a long time since I read every RPS article anyway. Now it will be even less, I think; likely just WITs and The Flare Path.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The front page has been less and less interesting to me with time. I went so far as to reset my bookmark to the forum months ago. I was a financial backer of the site from nearly the beginning but stopped a couple of years ago. This move makes it that much less likely I'd ever support them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    likely just WITs and The Flare Path.
    It occurs to me that those are basically all I read now. I guess I should start one of those passive-aggressive "RPS alternative" threads that are all the rage these days.
    Last edited by vinraith; 20-09-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "so far, its diaries and retrospects. essentially, extras."

Those are why I come to RPS. Not so interested in WiTs or news.

"I guess I should start one of those passive-aggressive "RPS alternative" threads that are all the rage these days."

Please don't. We have enough of those already!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm torn on the issue.

I totally understand that work needs to be paid for, and so I accept the idea that some form of pay wall might be necessary. I also like the idea of readers supporting the writers. But I have some reservations (which I hope don't come off as sounding entitled, as I realise I get RPS for free).

1 - It seems like pay-gating only some articles will split the community. People will be discussing articles in the comments of other posts, or on the forums, which non paying members won't have seen.

2 - They've said that it won't affect the output on RPS-lite, but already it feels like they're going to put all the stuff I like behind the paywall, and leave the stuff I'm not so interested in outside. I think they'll have to be very careful to keep a good balance.

3 - they'll also have to be careful with how they display it. they'd be smart to let non-subscribers know what they're missing, but they don't want to frustrate them. Maybe they should include the pay-gated articles on the front page (with a different background color) but clicking through to the full article needs you to sign in.
    This would only work if they weren't too frequent though.

4 - The quality of the pay-gated articles needs to be consistently good. they also need a way to show that content to attract people.

5 - IMHO, as someone who has no money, the price is too high. My standards for prices are all out of whack due to the internet, but I can't see myself paying anything over $9.99 for an annual subscription. Or how about 'pay what you want'?
    (and if gamers have learned anything, it is 'wait for the sale')

6 - If it leads to good quality articles that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, I'm all for it.

7 - Is there a gift option, because I can't see myself paying for it, but I might get it as a birthday present. Someone once gave me a year's subscription to a long form news site (called Medium i think), which was a nice gift I'd never have bought for myself... but then it went fully free to all about 3 months later.
    Those were decent very long articles that might not otherwise have been written though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    "so far, its diaries and retrospects. essentially, extras."

Those are why I come to RPS. Not so interested in WiTs or news.
    They're quite simply what makes the site unique. Pay walling them sounds like a means to short term profit and long term collapse to me. If new readers don't see the content that makes RPS what it is, why would they subscribe?

"I guess I should start one of those passive-aggressive "RPS alternative" threads that are all the rage these days."

Please don't. We have enough of those already!
    Very much kidding. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    IMHO, as someone who has no money, the price is too high. My standards for prices are all out of whack due to the internet, but I can't see myself paying anything over $9.99 for an annual subscription. Or how about 'pay what you want'?
    (and if gamers have learned anything, it is 'wait for the sale')
    I can only speak for myself, but there's no gaming site on the internet that's worth what they're asking to me. The purchasing power of $20 in terms of games these days is staggering, and their audience is a bunch of trained cheapskates. I'll be interested to see how this goes for them.
    Last edited by vinraith; 20-09-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Thing is, though, I dont think theyll be taking away much from the front page. It seems to be one extra article per week per writer. And sofar it doesnt seem like its necessarily about current games specifically, though it can include them.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    They're quite simply what makes the site unique. Pay walling them sounds like a means to short term profit and long term collapse to me. If new readers don't see the content that makes RPS what it is, why would they subscribe?
    Very much this. While I do come to RPS for the writing style (less so than I used to, but I don't want to go down that road), those "extras" are what made me a recurring visitor and what I actively keep an eye out for. To me, that's the real content. Everything else is "extras". I can find gaming news and reviews elsewhere, but those articles are the real value in RPS.

Also, while they claim that it won't affect the experience of non-supporters (besides, I'm an active supporter and advocate of the site, regardless of me paying or not), they'll have to take the time and energy from somewhere. Unless they hire new staff to compensate, I can't see this not having an impact on the main site.

I realize that much of this is kind of selfish reasoning, but my spending money is close to zero right now. I may become a supporter somewhere down the line, but until then, this is just blocking me from the content I'm looking for.

Obscure Node
    Perhaps supporter articles could "sunset" into public view after a few months?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just wanted to add that, despite my reservations and the fact that I probably won't be able to pay them, I do hope that it works out for them. I think it'll need careful watching/balancing/tweaking though.

PS/ Does anyone know if Flattr took off at all? IMHO it's an excellent solution to the problem, but unless it's adopted by a large number for users and sites, it doesn't really work.

Obscure Node
    My feeling is that if I didn't pay, i'd still have the same ol' RPS i've loved and enjoyed for a while. Paying means I simply get more of it. It's not expensive and for me it means I can support the writers I love and get more of their stuff. It's like a patreon but for the site in my mind.

Personally I find it very regrettable that there will be articles that a good chunk of the readers will never see. From the ones I read they seem exactly like the kind of articles that made RPS what it is. I would gladly give my bear hat to not have that relegated to a VIP room. Something like the book club is fine for supporters because a bigger crowd would just be distracting for that kind of format.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I am geussing that the RPS regulars are still going to see that content somehow - after all, one still needs to promote the gated content.

Activated Node
    The price point is very reasonable, even if it's just to support RPS - I actually prefer the voucher system than a subscription as it's just a one off cost, at 35 bucks for the year that's about the price at which I buy games - they've definitely priced it correctly imo.