Secondary Hivemind Nexus

RPS should keep Steam curation up-to-date to be more relevant

This seems like a relatively low-maintenance thing, but I think it might be beneficial. Whenever a Wot I Think comes out, it should be promptly linked in RPS Steam curation page, as to increase traffic and boost relevance. This could be achieved by either the writers themselves editing the curation page or writing a short (I dunno how long it is) summary of the post for the curation page along with the article, so that a dedicated person (Alec?) can do it asap.

I find it jarring when a game comes out, WIT comes out but there is no curation entry on the steam page while the RPS quote is included in the blurb section.

This is not for me - I do not care about this feature. This is an advice for RPS to be more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    This seems like a relatively low-maintenance thing, but I think it might be beneficial. Whenever a Wot I Think comes out, it should be promptly linked in RPS Steam curation page, as to increase traffic and boost relevance. This could be achieved by either the writers themselves editing the curation page or writing a short (I dunno how long it is) summary of the post for the curation page along with the article, so that a dedicated person (Alec?) can do it asap.

I find it jarring when a game comes out, WIT comes out but there is no curation entry on the steam page while the RPS quote is included in the blurb section.

This is not for me - I do not care about this feature. This is an advice for RPS to be more visible.
    Curation implies an endorsement of the game though, what if the WiT says it isn't very good?

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Curation implies an endorsement of the game though, what if the WiT says it isn't very good?
    I think what he's referring to is that updates seem to go in chunks, while his suggestion is more granular updates would be better in that they would attract more attention on RPS itself.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Then the curation blurb says it is not very good.

It'd probably be easier if Steam curation wasn't such a massive arseache to do. It's not that it's difficult really, it's just an incredibly tedious set up and one that's way, way more obtuse and awkward than it ever needs to be.
    Videogames, eh?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Then the curation blurb says it is not very good.
    Again, that's not how that works.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Activated Node
    There are certainly curators who put games on their lists and still say they're bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    You want RPS to update an ongoing project regularly and not let it trail off into dust-collection oblivion?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Maybe he hasn't been here very long ;-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurgret View Post
    There are certainly curators who put games on their lists and still say they're bad.
    For sure!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsDNATKTYSA
    Dust-collection oblivion also applies, though...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    You want RPS to update an ongoing project regularly and not let it trail off into dust-collection oblivion?
    Yeah, it could be just like the AI War diary.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Yeah, it could be just like the AI War diary.
    I wondered what had happened to that diary. I just assumed that perhaps it didn't go on an interesting route in the end and was dropped. Or that the supporter posts weren't showing up properly for me.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurgret View Post
    Those are curators who are misusing or outright abusing the system, and technically should be reported to Valve.

Curation was supposed to be a list of recommended games. Each different person/group that tagged a game was an additional "thumbs up", particularly as the store page would only show a summary of the most popular curator's text recommendation.

But people immediately realized that they could use the curation system as free advertising for themselves, their websites, and their YouTube channels. Some others just didn't pay attention to what Curation was meant to be, that to recommend a game was to recommend a game. The end result was a mess (which Valve should have realized would happen).

Only tangentially relevant, but I still think there's an 'easy' fix for the curation system, and that is implementing an ignore list.

Let me have my minute of hate there: I'm sick as hell of seeing Anime 2.0's slipping their insipid, useless remarks into my Steam experience.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    Those are curators who are misusing or outright abusing the system, and technically should be reported to Valve.
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsDNATKTYSA
    OI!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Well, yes. That's the problem in relying on Valve to actually do anything at all that doesn't have the backing of a court judgement or a massive internet firestorm behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post

Curation was supposed to be a list of recommended games. Each different person/group that tagged a game was an additional "thumbs up", particularly as the store page would only show a summary of the most popular curator's text recommendation.

But people immediately realized that they could use the curation system as free advertising for themselves, their websites, and their YouTube channels. Some others just didn't pay attention to what Curation was meant to be, that to recommend a game was to recommend a game. The end result was a mess (which Valve should have realized would happen).
    Unfortunately, the system is set up to favour people with a YouTube channel. Technically, the same for a games website too but the chances of any prominent games websites having someone on staff paid enough/willing to cut and paste links to their pieces or even the will to do that are fairly slim. Not so much with YouTube where it's a more useful to set up links as you know you'll probably have someone watching for ten or twenty minutes rather than just bouncing off it.

If you're an actual human not a promo-robot, the system is pretty much designed against you. Not entirely so but it'll certainly take more effort and dedication than a lot of people could ever ever be arsed with. And all this together is how you end up with a system that isn't so much "look at this because" but instead "here's my review of a thing huzzah".

Mind, that said, I think what constitutes a thumbs up should be really, really personal and not just a blanket "this game is good". That would be the whole point of a working trusted curation system. It could/should be "this part of a game is good" or "this one thing in a game is good" as well as "this whole game is good" but the system as is doesn't really leave much space for smart and thoughtful consideration of works.

And another vote for "let me block curators" because I don't really care about what someone thinks of Brad Wardell and no fucks given what some dude in a hat thinks of anything either.
    Videogames, eh?