Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    The forum needs to expand. More sub-forums, categories or whatever you want to call it.
    Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I would like to see fewer solicitations. How do the rest of you feel about the first time poster thread starting? Is it a problem in your minds? Can it be combated somehow?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I would like to see fewer solicitations. How do the rest of you feel about the first time poster thread starting? Is it a problem in your minds? Can it be combated somehow?
    It's a problem, but it's a case of where do we draw the line?

If there is a facility to randomly force a Captcha, we might escape some of them, but not all.

The other option I can think of is account verification, but that seems very, very inefficient.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Well, there is the nagging problem that if someone showed up out of the blue, it doesn't matter if they're affiliated with whatever product they're hawking - everybody assumes that already, and then attacks them for being shills.

Saying "you need X number of posts before you can talk about the game you really, really like in a new thread," however, will just limit the number of new members to the forum, and effectively turn it into the same two dozen grognards dominating every discussion.

Personally, I'd err on the side of inclusion and let folks shill, because ignoring one thread a day is far less destructive than scaring off potential new posters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    and effectively turn it into the same two dozen grognards dominating every discussion.
    Which happens now, does it not?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Which happens now, does it not?
    Only serving to drive home the point. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    how should i make threads?

in bottom it say bb code is on and
    You
    may not
    post new threads

There is probably a minimum post count required before new members can post new threads (as spam control method).
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Reiterating request to have 'tech help' renamed to 'tech help & discussion' or somesuch.

Network Hub
    "View First Unread" now always seems to put me at the most recent post no matter what. It's a bit of a problem in the Blood Bowl forum. Losing RSS made thing pretty hard to follow to begin with.

Activated Node Proctor Eldritch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    There is probably a minimum post count required before new members can post new threads (as spam control method).
    Any idea what the minimum is? I'm looking to upgrade my rig fairly soon and I'd like some feedback about which hardware to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor Eldritch View Post
    Any idea what the minimum is? I'm looking to upgrade my rig fairly soon and I'd like some feedback about which hardware to pick up.
    Just have a look at existing threads, people do this often, an i5 2500(k), compatible memory and motherboard, power supply to match, an argument over which graphics card is the better value and then endorsements over buying an SSD and how much better it makes your like, iirc :) Seriously, you'll find several recent threads, just add to one of those and sooner or later you'll end up with the required post count anyway.
    Last edited by Feldspar; 20-07-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: read before pressing post, Feld

Not sure if this belongs in here, but here goes: Who do I need to to wink at in a sexy way to get a subforum for Guild Wars 2?

We've got a couple of threads going already, we've got a guild, a Steam group, some of the guys have provided a mumble server, and it will all only get bigger, faster, stronger after release. People are very enthusiastic about the game, so pretty please, give us new-age MMO hipsters a Guild Hall.
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in here, but here goes: Who do I need to to wink at in a sexy way to get a subforum for Guild Wars 2?
    Rossignol should be the recipient of all sexy winks, I believe.

Man(l)y thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post

We've got a couple of threads going already, we've got a guild, a Steam group, some of the guys have provided a mumble server, and it will all only get bigger, faster, stronger after release. People are very enthusiastic about the game, so pretty please, give us new-age MMO hipsters a Guild Hall.
    Thanks for posting this.

My sexy winks have thus far gone unanswered. Maybe I should stop doing them while wearing no clothes, its probably giving the wrong impression.

Jim's PM folder is full, I've sent him an email.

I do not check PMs on here. The last time I looked they were about people complaining that I had curtailed their freedom of speech. There is no freedom of speech here. This is my forum, and threads will be closed and users banned as I see fit.

Re Guild Wars, I will redo the subfolders later today. I have a couple of ideas for other sections we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    I do not check PMs on here. The last time I looked they were about people complaining that I had curtailed their freedom of speech. There is no freedom of speech here. This is my forum, and threads will be closed and users banned as I see fit. Re Guild Wars, I will redo the subfolders later today. I have a couple of ideas for other sections we need.
    That's great, thanks! If all future requests are handled this quickly, I am fine with handing over my freedom of speech at the front gate of Castle Shotgun.

Thank you kind sir!