Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BubuIIC View Post
    I've been wondering, are the old RPS forums still accessible? The first time I came here I could still view the contents, in the other Feedback thread someone mentioned http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/, but this generates a 404 error now... Are they gone for good? Or viewable somewhere else?

I'm not really looking for something specific, it's just the "Internet history, must be archived... cannot be lost!" kind of feel... ;-)
    Have you tried accessing the old pages via Google's web cache? It's not the same as the old forums, but if you are looking for something specific, it might still be there.

Newbie question, forgive me if this is obvious, but is there a reason I can't post new threads and only can post comments? Sorry if this is the wrong section! Is there a forum probation period? Thanks :)

Network Hub
    The invasion of spambots is getting annoying lately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Razza View Post
    Newbie question, forgive me if this is obvious, but is there a reason I can't post new threads and only can post comments? Sorry if this is the wrong section! Is there a forum probation period? Thanks :)
    I believe there's a ten post quota before you can make your own threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    The invasion of spambots is getting annoying lately.
    Agreed. They're spamming more and more threads now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I have never spent so much time on a 404 page as just now when RPS got "wobbly"

sorry, 503

Network Hub
    Where do we find a list of moderators? I've got a post that's been stuck in approval, and I'm curious why.

Automatically updating timestamps for DST seems to still be broken. I had to toggle DST from auto to off, back to auto again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whilst probably a lower priority thing, would it be possible to look into actual spoiler tags? Thanks!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Would it be possible to update either the Rules or add in some sort of FAQ thread to highlight the minimum number of posts people need in order to make a thread?

Although it's been mentioned here several times over, new users are still going into other threads, even necro'ing long silent threads in order to ask why they can't make a thread yet and why they can't find anything about it.

I've no problem with the current implementation or restrictions, but it's almost as tiresome answering these questions as seeing the spambots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Would it be possible to update either the Rules or add in some sort of FAQ thread to highlight the minimum number of posts people need in order to make a thread?

Although it's been mentioned here several times over, new users are still going into other threads, even necro'ing long silent threads in order to ask why they can't make a thread yet and why they can't find anything about it.

I've no problem with the current implementation or restrictions, but it's almost as tiresome answering these questions as seeing the spambots.
    Rule #1: Nobody ever reads the FAQ.
    Rule #2: Nobody ever reads the Rules (including these two rules, when they are mentioned).
    Rule #3: There is NO rule #3.

Obscure Node
    Just a random question that I am not sure where to post: when does one get the marvellous ability to make their own threads? I couldn't find that in the forum rules and I was going to put up my XCOM-retelling literary effort for some well-deserved public criticism. :) (Apologies if the answer is blindingly obvious, I apparently have not been blinded yet.)

[EDIT: Nevermind, it seems like I failed to read the posts just above mine. Consider it obsolete. :D)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    In the locked thread about getting article banned why did Alec's reasoning for locking it disappear?

Obscure Node
    How long does it take in general to get a new thread approved? Do you get any feedback if it doesn't get approved?

Quote Originally Posted by Yello Rambo View Post
    How long does it take in general to get a new thread approved? Do you get any feedback if it doesn't get approved?
    You'll have to be patient at the moment, it being a) the holiday period and b) the weekend, sorry, this forum is powered by good will and scotch eggs, not by a fanatical devotion to the pope. I'm not sure about feedback, but you could certainly ask for it if your thread does not get approved.

Obscure Node
    That makes sense. I'll continue my XCOM story in the fabled Google Docs for the time being, then.

I'm seeing an influx of reply notifications in my inbox coming from the past. Haven't checked them all, but a couple were from April 2012, one from last December.

e.g.

Dear alms,

Dubbill has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Food Thread! - in the Other Stuff forum of The Rock, Paper, Shotgun Forums.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...!&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    The most success I've had with poached eggs was using Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's method. They came out perfectly.

"Crack the eggs into a saucer. Get a pan of water boiling, add a few drops of white wine vinegar and stir the water to create a whirlpool. Tip the eggs into the eddy, lower the heat and poach for three minutes, until the whites are set. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper."

Bonus points for any recipe that involves an eddy.

This restaurant technique (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/...technique.html) sounds like it would work. It isn't really practical for less than 25 covers but might be worth a try if there's someone you really want to impress with an egg.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post120048

edit: mail headers

To: XXX@YYY
    Subject: Reply to thread 'Food Thread!'
    X-PHP-Originating-Script: 1001:class_mail.php
    From: "The Rock, Paper, Shotgun Forums" <jim@rockpapershotgun.com>
    Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
    Message-ID: <20130114145656.59f5a4f1a691@www.rockpapershotgun. com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
    Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:56:57 +0000 (GMT)
    Last edited by alms; 14-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Don't panic -- I just blitzed the moderation queue on the forum. I didn't realise some of the posts were so old!

No panic :P just thought I'd bring it up since there was no mention of it yet. The post I received notifications about, however, weren't seemingly being hold up in the moderation queue, in fact I remember reading a few of them at the time.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, quick question. In the welcome email I received, it says, "In an effort to prevent spam, you will not be able to create topics until you have created ten posts in other topics. This restriction does not apply to topics in the "For The Promotion Of PC Game-Making Projects And Things Like That" subforum."

I am not ready to promote my game yet, but I did want to comment on other people's games and give feedback. I don't seem to have posting permissions in that section at all though. I can't even reply to posts. At the bottom of the page it says,
    "You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments"

Is there a requirement I am missing? Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The "For the promotion of blah blah" subforum is temporarily closed because SPAM SPAM SPAMMITY SPAM
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen