Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Could you name a couple of those forums with less strict rules on thread creation and less spam? I'd like to take a look.

Obscure Node
    GameFAQs forums, for an instance.

Did the forum just move to the left like the main website? Arghl.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Yes; now I have to move my chair left to make it feel right.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Seriously, who on feck moved the entire forum to the left?

Is there a reason for this or is this just arbitrary and/or for more ad space?

Is there something wrong with the Right hand side of my screen? Insert joke about RPS' pinko-Lefty leanings.

It wouldn't be so bad, if there was at least some space on the left, before the main content. Compare the Grauniad article pages (for example) with RPS main pages and forums. Graun is much easier to read because there is some whitespace on the left, even though both RPS and the Graun finish before the mid point (of my screen).

It does seem as though all available, possible free space on pages is being maxed out, for ads no doubt. That does mean that the actual content (why people come to the site, I'm guessing) is all being pushed together and off to the side.
    Last edited by Unaco; 08-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    I am starting to feel seasick...this will not end well ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I would love to see a "tech talk" Subforum in the "tech help" forum. There's quite a few hardware fans around here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, this shift to the left made the forums almost unreadable on my iphone, since now it won't auto-enlarge the text when I double tap the screen and the stupid empty bar to the right remains there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, it's a loss of usability and user-friendliness for the ability to have more valuable ads. Which is a bit depressing. The easiest fix on the main site would just be to move the right bar (News, Read, Search, etc) to the left of the main text. That wouldn't help the forum though.

Alternatively just have RPS do a Kickstarter so they're not so reliant on ads.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feferuco View Post
    GameFAQs forums, for an instance.
    ... Really?

Assuming you are serious, GameFAQs actually has horrible spam problems (at least, every time I check it). It is just that the only boards that are densely populated tend to be off topic boards or so full of fanboyistic hate that you don't notice as much. A post here or there for a "clan" or a "KS Project" isn't as noticeable.

Also, GameFAQs has a LOT more mods than here since it has a lot more users.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    The shift to the left is annoying, but it's a simple fix if you have/can get greasemonkey or something similar. Dunno how it looks without an ad blocker but it's working good for me. Here's the code you need for greasemonkey:

function addGlobalStyle(css) {
    var head, style;
    head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    if (!head) { return; }
    style = document.createElement('style');
    style.type = 'text/css';
    style.innerHTML = css;
    head.appendChild(style);
    }

addGlobalStyle('#header-content { width: 960px!important; }');
    addGlobalStyle('#page { width: 960px!important; }');
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Banned
    I don't want to fix the left shift. I want people to stop doing dumb formatting shit in the first place.

FWIW, I also thought that restricting the rights to start new threads just to fight spambots is a bit drastic, maybe not full-blown throwing the baby out with the bath water, but not far from it. I've been out of forum administration for a long time now, but I think spambots can be fought through specific tools, like adding CAPTCHA to the registration form and surely there must be other, more sophisticated tricks along the same lines that don't impact usability.

Ironically, this brings many new users to disseminate irrelevant posts across the boards and necroing the hell out of threads which, no matter how you slice it, is still a form of spam.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I thought the problem was that they aren't bots.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Ironically, this brings many new users to disseminate irrelevant posts across the boards and necroing the hell out of threads which, no matter how you slice it, is still a form of spam.
    Introduce yourself
    What are you playing
    What tv shows are you watching
    What are you reading
    What movies are you watching
    Screenshot thread

There's six topics anyone can post in without even needing engage with other members.

PC Bargains
    Any social club game (plenty of choice)
    Any current news topic (plenty of choice)

There's more they can freely weigh in on. There's plenty of places for people to make ten posts without necroing old threads before they make a new thread. If they're just trying to promote a game they can do it without those ten posts. If they're trying to bring a discussion to the table, it doesn't take much effort to get there. I'm sure most people can appreciate the general low level of spam threads.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It does seem we've been getting a lot of those lately, yeah.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Why is necroing bad? You can't win--if you make a thread about something that already existed as a thread you get called out for not knowing how to use the search function. :\
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Seriously, who on feck moved the entire forum to the left?
    Damnit, not the forum too ... what's wrong with centering? Can't ads fit in the margin space on both sides? There aren't even ads on the forums, yet.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Why is necroing bad? You can't win--if you make a thread about something that already existed as a thread you get called out for not knowing how to use the search function. :\
    Here? I must be really out of touch then.

What I was pointing out is how some new users necro just to add useless information. E.g. threads like "Suggest a game..." and the reply starts "this doesn't really fit the criteria..." (something that would be OK were the thread current) or their post is simply a rehash/repetition of replies posted at a much earlier time.

If they go that much out of their way to find something to post on, it's a sign something's out of whack. I wonder, if someone made a sticky and pasted the list Phish came up with, would that actually improve things?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"