Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Hi Nie, I should be on at 8 tonight!
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

The Philanthropists (Gobbo, me) vs. Sunny Day Snotling Crθche (Ogre, GroovyChainsaw)

Going in a hefty 600ish TV down the Philanthropists went for Ripper, a bribe, a wizard and two babes. Crθche won the toss and elected to receive, but to keep things simple both teams appeared to have broadly the same plan: beat the living daylights out of one another. Over the half an ogre was injured but so was Ripper (a single punch reducing him to Av7 if the post-match stats are to be believed), with several gobbo knockouts and one death being matched by a wide variety of snotling injuries.

Crθche moved cautiously for the first few turns, at least partly because despite KO'ing several gobbos lots of ogres were starting their moves face down thanks to the efforts of the trolls. Keeping things slow and steady a tight cage was built near the scrimmage, but having so many ogres and snotlings bunched up was too much for the gobbo's wizard to resist, and fortunately the fireball was spectacularly efficient - one stunned ogre, one BH snot, one MNG snot and one dead snot, leaving only two ogres standing next to the spilled ball.

Several turns scuffling didn't answer any questions though, as both sides elected to cover the ball in tackle zones rather than risk knocking it away. With time running out the Ag3 Ogre took the chance and went for it, managing to both grab the ball in a tackle zone and successfully dodge away. With the remaining gobbos and trolls tied up only a half-hearted defence could be scrambled back, which proved to be all to easy to brush aside: 1-0 to Crθche.

The gobbos used their bribe to keep the bombardier on for the kick off (the last turn of the first half), giving them 12 fit players and thus hopefully shielding one secret weapon for the second half. Wasn't to be though: for some reason Cyanide insisted 12 players were set up, forcing both weapons onto the pitch for one turn. Things didn't get any better in the turn itself, with a troll derping out on the block needed to attempt a TTM touchdown, quickly followed by the bombardier knocking over one of his teammates for an ignominious turnover.

With that spectacular display out the way the second half kicked off with only 10 Philanthropists on the field, but the numbers were quickly levelled when Mother Theresa gently administered a benediction on an ogre: overcome by emotion the ogre was forced to have a lie down for the rest of the match. The gobbos sprinted the ball up to the scrimmage and made to drive to the left, but the ogres responded aggressively and cut off the advance. A swift switch to the right was foiled when a troll derped on a blitz and lonered the re-roll, leaving the almost-gap still annoyingly plugged. To compound their misery the other troll was subsequently KO'd, leaving the Philanthropists in a precarious position they never recovered from. From here the second half fizzled out, with the ogres recovering the ball but being unable to move quickly enough to capitalise, leaving the last turn as little more than a quick round of Punish the Snotling: 1-0 to Sunny Day Snotling Crθche at full time.

It's tempting to blame Cyanide for scuppering my second half but in all honesty I was playing without much of a plan and was suitably punished for it, with Groovy's tight positioning denying any last minute heroics on a number of occasions. Alfred Nobel the bombardier nicked the MVP but rolled a normal, becoming the first ever Philanthropist to retire with all limbs and major organs intact, while Mother Theresa grabbed grab and Prince Kahrim Aga Kahn IV jumped on jump up. Four matches in and things are looking grim with only 4 points on the table, the second half of the season will have to go a lot better than the first if there's to be any chance of a prize.

Today I played Zenohero's Ogres. He won 1-0.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Alright, it's just me and ntw still left to play. You free tomorrow man?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Alright, it's just me and ntw still left to play. You free tomorrow man?
    Err, only if my DoD opponent doesn't show...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    Err, only if my DoD opponent doesn't show...
    Hah well I booked my Open match for tonight anyway... Maybe tomorrow?

Okay ntw, if you can make it tonight, I can make it tonight. Otherwise I say we default the match and stop holding everything up. Deal?

Alrighty, apologies to ntw but I wanted to get the league moving again before I pop off on holiday today.
    Our game's been defaulted to a draw and the league has been rolled on.

I'll be back a week on Monday, at which point hopefully myself and Groovy will get our game done sharpish and we can move on again :)

Get bashing!

Zenohero, we're up! Could make this evening with enough notice, otherwise Monday or Tuesday after 20:00BST would be best - going to be kinda busy after that.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Zenohero, we're up! Could make this evening with enough notice, otherwise Monday or Tuesday after 20:00BST would be best - going to be kinda busy after that.
    Excellent, now I just need you to sign a binding contract saying that you will not go after my snotlings :D. I won't be able to make it today, but Monday should be good for me.

Snotlings are about the only thing gobbos can reliably beat up, you'd take even taht small pleasure from me? :( Monday should be fine, see you then!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Is ntw back in rotation yet?

I guess I am waiting if he's not.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Would anyone be bitter if I forfeited the rest of my games? Let me elaborate. I had zero touchdowns in three games (one was a default win for Helio since I had trouble with my internet), lost some of the few players that had more than 2 SPPs on them (I have 14SPPs on the team in total), and one guy with a skill.

I don't enjoy the games. If someone is concerned that me dropping out is unfair to the people that already played me, I think that everyone got his share of SPPs through TDs and injuries against me.

Sorry to post this in a running season, I had expected something else from stunty matches. If there is anyone who feels that this is not fair, I will play the rest of my games as good as I can and then drop out when the season is through.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Would anyone be bitter if I forfeited the rest of my games?
    It's up to you, but if you do feel like playing, I'm free this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Sorry to post this in a running season, I had expected something else from stunty matches. If there is anyone who feels that this is not fair, I will play the rest of my games as good as I can and then drop out when the season is through.
    You should reset as skinks/rotters/undead(I suggest pure skeletons for undead) for a more risk averse but no less goblin stomping good time. Maybe the admins would allow you to continue the season with a fresh team in a safer type?

Thanks for the suggestion, not interested though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Wouldnt recommend undead, very dull

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is ntw back in rotation yet?

I guess I am waiting if he's not.
    Err, kinda. If you see me on Steam buzz me.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    Err, kinda. If you see me on Steam buzz me.
    I'm off to bed now but I'll keep an eye open for you when in on.

The Philanthropists (Gobbo, me) vs. The Ogre Special Forces (Ogre, Zenohero)

150k of inducements for the ogres secured a babe and an extra re-roll, but the gobbos won the toss and chose to receive, hoping to cause a little damage and stall out a few turns. The ogres set up aggressively along the line of scrimmage and in the widezone, with the snots hanging back. Electing to contain the menace in the middle the gobbos set up a troll against each ogre in the wide zones hoping to work together a two turn crowd surf, but the ogres had enough smarts to see through this - a perfect defense allowed all five of them to mass together in the middle of the pitch.

Walt Disney grabbed the ball while the rest of the gobbos caged up on the right. A mere cage wasn't enough to stop the ogres though - one of them simple break-tackled into the middle of it and rolled a pow on the blitz, badly hurting Walt and leaving him out of the rest of the match. Several turns of inelegant scrambling followed, each team completely failing to pull off a succession of hugely over-ambitious plays: the gobbos usually had the ball but couldn't advance far (no matter how many dice the trolls tried to roll in a single turn), but the ogres couldn't get to it either (turns out break tackle isn't enough to get over diving tackle).

Eventually the ball was spilled into the crowd, before being thrown back into the middle of the pitch half way into the gobbos half. Two turns of almost competent play - first picking it up and caging on the right, then breaking out and handing off to Warren Buffet who legged it down the left - left the ogres out of position, allowing the gobbos to sprint it in (with the help of several GFIs) on turn 8. A turn of bashing from the ogres didn't achieve much beyond getting the loony sent off at the end of the half (really need to manage my secret weapons better), making it 1-0 at half time.

In the second half the ogres pushed aggressively forward, all 5 ogres bum-rushing the front line and laying into whoever they could reach. This left the snotlings to look after the ball, which proved to be a mistake - taking discretion to be the better part of valor the gobbos simply skipped round the ogres and built a wall between them and the snots. The ogres almost managed to break through and join up forces, but could never quite the the two halves to meet. Eventually a slightly desperate pass was attempted which the little snotling fumbled, allowing the gobbos to sprint through and leg it to safety - 2-0 on turn 13.

Lining up again the gobbos kicked and rolled a blitz, allowing the intrepid Warren Buffet to be hurled down the field towards where the ball was going to land. The ball bounced out of bounds, but an attempt at a 1TTD went badly wrong when the ogre knocked out the snotling with the ball on takeoff. Set up for bashing and hampered by some unlucky bone head rolls there was nothing the ogres could do to stop the gobbos scampering through for another touchdown, making it 3-0 on turn 16. A riot on kick off pushed the clock back by a turn and almost made it 4-0 to the gobbos - the ogres took a quick turnover on a both down result, and a valiant throw team mate attempt at the ball worked right up until the final GFI needed to cross the line, making it 3-0 at full time.

It was a very scrappy but hugely fun match, though I suspect I may well have enjoyed it more thanks to the win. While it's perfectly possible to play stunty teams as srs bsnss (as El Cubo has shown me on several occasions) it's always nice to go crazy once in a while and let the little gits do their thing.