Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Okay then, I'll put it to a 0-0 tie (since you've both made efforts to arrange the match more than once) and get the competition's day rolled on tonight.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    When do you want to play then Screwie?

Hey Groovy, sorry I didn't reply on Steam last night but it looks like we couldn't have played then after all! I am free most evenings this week apart from Thursday so you can catch me on Steam if you like or if you have a particular day that's good for you let me know here!

@drawlien: Yep, unlike the Divisions of Death this tournament is listed as a single league in-game, so I can only roll on a day once all 4 groups are ready. Apologies for the delay.

@Gorm: Thursday of Friday evening after 8pm, or any time at the weekend. If I don't already have a game against Jolima tonight then potentially tonight from 10pm also.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Hi Drawlien - I got a busy week - I'll see if I can catch you on steam at all rather than fixing a day yet. No worries about missing me last night though, it was always a bit speculative :-)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    ntw, you despicable but lovable person, I am heading home now.

I would be willing and ready to match it out with you in 90 minutes.

Rawr.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Ok, Day 6 is upon us! For some this might just be a nice winding down game. For others, key preparation for the playoffs. For other others, it's all still left to play for!

Day 6 is due to end on the evening of Friday 10th February. Good luck!

Gotta say I've really enjoyed these stunty games, had any thoughts about continuing them after the cup? Perhaps we could have a stunty open or something, if enough people are interested.

Another crushing loss for the Friendly Little Fellas.

I just cannot cope with the *randomness* of them. It was particularly galling when I Snake-Eyes'd a GFI to take the lead, then rolled DEAD.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

So, this game of the Stumblers versus ntw's Friendly Fellas was a homage to Nuffle and Pain.

The Stumblers elect to receive to do some carnage before their weaponteam gets inevitably sent off. And indeed (or "ahoy"), the first turn knocks down both trolls and KO's the Fanatic with a well-aimed bomb, kills a goblin with a chainsaw and badly hurts another goblin by NUTSHELL THE MINI-ORC, who would continue to be the str-3 terror of the match.

Alas, my luck lasts exactly until the end of the turn, which ends with a triple skull from my troll.

The second turn knocks out my ball-carrier and KO's my chainsaw with my own bomb, which was passing back and forth and finally accidentally dropped by the recent catcher, and I'm completely unable to recover the ball which ntw uses to score in turn 4.

Which brings his heavy weapon team to the spot.

Which I cancel with a perfectly thrown goblin who makes the perfect run to the endzone while holding the ball before ntw even gets to move one of them.

The rest of the first half is angry wailing and the gnashing of teeth and ends 1-1 with the ball somewhere half-forgotten near a sideline.

ntw lines up to cage towards my zone, breaks through by turn 12 and needs one more GFI to score.

Which fails, of COURSE killing the lone Goblin, while his companions are pinned by my Stumblers.

I have 4 turns in which to bring the ball home - by now there's not many players left on the field. An unfortunate Really Stupid roll (lonered, too) leaves my ball-carrier quietly exposed, but the goblin attempting to move in for the takedown fails his first dodge - and Shortleap the Pogoer poncies unopposed to the opponent's touchdown line in Turn 16, ending the game 2-1 for the Stumblers and no major injuries.
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

My last game against Tom O'Bedlam's ogres was, uh, painful. The first half was played in a blizzard and I couldn't afford a master chef in inducements so it was a tentative affair. I received and watched a succession of snotlings either get knocked out or knock themselves out while I walked down the field, unopposed. I tried a pass to get a quick score but the game wasn't having it and once the ball was on the floor, that was it. For turn after turn I failed to knock any snotlings over or pick up the ball, and for turn after turn Tom would dodge his snotlings into about eight tackle zones, pick up the ball, and then just lose it to a diving tackle or failed GFI. This was like a game of cat and mouse if the cat was a mouse and the mouse was dead. Finally in turn 7 I managed to pick it up and score. The first cas of the game waited until the end of the first half, a broken shoulder on a snotling that was apothecaried. 1-0 to me at half-time.

Tom sets up for a one-turned at the start of the second but instead fakes left, placing two guard ogres around a snotling right on the sideline. I can't get in to smack him because of all that guard so settle for smothering that formation, and after Tom's snotlings just relentlessly get tripped up by Diving Tackle, failed GFIs, or simple ennui, we push into that ogre cage, surfing one off the pitch with a tree and keeping the other one down under lock and key. The ball now recovered, it's a second boring procession to the touchline to make it 2-0 on turn 16. At some point my treeman tried to throw my halfling, and dropped and killed him (fortunately the Apothecary was on hand.) But mainly the massively fragile armour of the snots, plus my ridiculous quantity of diving tackle, made this a bit of a straightforward victory.

ONWARDS TO THE SEMI FINALS

There was also a very good spontaneous Andre the Giant setup and punchline which made my night, just thought I'd mention that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Eski, when play? Free all day thursday and saturday before the evening.

I would love to watch Groovy's and drawlien's match Live, as it'll decide the Division-lead. When are you guys going for it? Can you live-tweet it? :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    For a second there, i thought you meant I could still top the group. But no - Third place is the best I can achieve. And i'm already in 3rd place :-D.

As for live-streaming the game, its not something I've done before and I'm a bit tight on time this week, making setting it up with Drawlien a bit tricky. 'Course, if drawlien wants to set it up, I have no complaints, whoever wants to see how hilariously rubbish our teams are can view it in that case (Although I have all 4 Ogres this time Drawlien, I will bash some halflings with them!)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Gotta say I've really enjoyed these stunty games, had any thoughts about continuing them after the cup? Perhaps we could have a stunty open or something, if enough people are interested.
    I was toying with the idea that the teams could return for an eventual second season. However a Stunty Challenge open league might also do the trick. It might also be a good place to test if a Saurus-deficient Lizardman team is truly Stunty or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    Another crushing loss for the Friendly Little Fellas.

I just cannot cope with the *randomness* of them. It was particularly galling when I Snake-Eyes'd a GFI to take the lead, then rolled DEAD.
    I was about to write a comment about how I really dislike playing Halfings, but then realised your team name was sarcastic and you had Goblins, so... heh.

I find Goblins have the advantage of a broader range of tactics than the other Stunties thanks to their Secret Weapons and their (weirdly) superior linemen, but you do have to pay for this with randomness. They're the only team that has to deal with big guy Loners (not to mention Really Stupiders and Always Hungriers), for example...

TBH - after their (my?) performance in this competition, I'm not sure Friendly Little Fellas is sarcastic...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

I have no idea how to go about live-streaming. If anyone wants to show me to a good guide then I will give it a go.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think the skinks are too fast for a stunty league to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    I think the skinks are too fast for a stunty league to be honest.
    At the same time for +2 MA, they're 50% more expensive than Goblins and don't have the Right Stuff. Also the team would have only 1 big guy on the roster (and a Loner to boot).

Their speed might make them very competitive in a Stunty league (a fast moving cage, for one thing), but on the other hand they still have a lot of drawbacks. The more expensive players mean you're going to get worse TV bloat, and you're going to be out-muscled by everyone.

I dunno.

It was suggested before the start of this tournament, and while I vetoed it as an unknown (also it's pretty difficult to enforce an unofficial team make-up with Cyanide's admin tools) it is still worth exploring at one point. An open Stunty league might be the place for that, or I might just have talked myself into my next team pick for the DoD...
    Last edited by Screwie; 01-02-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thing with halflings is that they're uniform in their awfulness. The thing that turned me off goblins is that they lose so much kick when the weapons get sent off. Snotlings place so much emphasis on a couple of ogres performing. But Halflings just carry on, being a bit crap.