Network Hub

Fate of the world.

Has anyone played Fate of the world? I have, according to steam ive logged in 50 hours in the game. Do you know something that ive never done in the game? win. I have never successfully completed a scenario.

So I come to you, the collective minds of RPS for help, has anyone ever succeeded at this game? and if so how?

I know thers the stupid solutions like gene plague but otherwise what do you do?

The closest ive ever been is to get within 0.1 or 0.2 of the target for Oil crisis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I won the first and second scenarios in vanilla.

Network Hub
    i want to like it, but it is too thick for me

it is especially too messy to be portrayed as a card game

i have not played it after the patch because i saw the kind of DLC they were selling as a 'patch' and said 'no fucking thank you'
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

It's not thick, it's just opaque. You get cards which do stuff but silently they do other one hundred negative effects you didn't knew about in the first place. Then you naively use two of them together but each has a minus fifty winningness and the game is over, not now but in fifty turns because the designers hate you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I played it for a couple of hours. Very interesting game. The DLC adds a lot of stuff (migration!) and I'll make sure to pick it up.
    I wish it had a mode where you can play cards without worrying about resources or agents getting kidnapped. I just want to see how the simulation behaves without getting punished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I love the idea of the game, but as pakoito mentions, the cards you play don't really explain what they're doing apart from containing a few positive buzzwords. They all sound positive, they all do negative things, and I don't have the time and energy to find out what exactly does what.

Because I don't understand real-world economy or global politics. I just don't. Give me Fate Of The World in a fantasy setting with elves, orcs, necromancy and assassinations, and I'd know EXACTLY what to do.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Same experience as Inverselaw here. Played it a couple of times, failed miserably although I tried (oh how I tried) to comply with the suggested approaches to resolve the given crises. I am a bad Messiah. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I love the idea of the game, but as pakoito mentions, the cards you play don't really explain what they're doing apart from containing a few positive buzzwords. They all sound positive, they all do negative things, and I don't have the time and energy to find out what exactly does what..
    I think that's kind of the whole point. Everything, as in reality, has unknown, unexpected consequences, sometimes very long after the fact. It's not exactly about winning, necessarily.

Network Hub
    I managed to clock the first two scenarios but they were hard. Replayed them with some of the crazier more totalitarian cards....didn't always work out so well :) However though destablising a region and then covertly sterilising them may seem monstrous, it was for their own good!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I think that's kind of the whole point. Everything, as in reality, has unknown, unexpected consequences, sometimes very long after the fact. It's not exactly about winning, necessarily.
    I agree with you. But it's also the point why I am not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would, when I purchased it. :)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I agree with you. But it's also the point why I am not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would, when I purchased it. :)
    Fair enough, really. There was always an element of 'concept game' about it. It's an interesting set up, but it's not without its drawbacks.

It sounds a li'l like what'd happen if Adam Curtis made a videogame about environmentalism? Which is very appealing.

Network Hub
    if it's not about winning then why do i have to beat a campaign to get access to the other campaigns
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    if it's not about winning then why do i have to beat a campaign to get access to the other campaigns
    It's about learning the basics so you can try tougher stuff later. I learned that in Monster Hunter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say "because you appear to have a different game to everyone else".

Network Hub
    I just started playing this and I have no clue whatsoever of what the hell is going on. Do you just pick cards and then click the big button in the bottom-right corner?

Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    I just started playing this and I have no clue whatsoever of what the hell is going on. Do you just pick cards and then click the big button in the bottom-right corner?
    It's been a while since I played, but basically yeah. You choose cards and then end your turn. You can (and should) also buy agents in various parts of the world first, if you can afford to. They allow you to play more cards in a region per turn.

It's been a while since I played, but basically yeah. You choose cards and then end your turn. You can (and should) also buy agents in various parts of the world first, if you can afford to. They allow you to play more cards in a region per turn.
    You also have some EXCEL spreadsheets to play with.

Network Hub
    amusingly after posting this, I managed to win both oil crisis easy and green day easy. In both cases banning the mining of coal followed by a massive agricultural push to mitigate starvation and hopefully get some biofuel in was the effective solution.

I think why it works is that banning coal production eliminates oil used to mine coal it also creates unemployment which can be moved towards agriculture. You do however lose coal to oil conversion which is pretty bad, but then again the greenhouse gases produced in that process is what keeps north america from lowering its emissions (sadly you cant ban a region from production, only the whole world).

The most annoying thing is that oil is always used for transportation and energy first. So when im suffering from an oil shortage, food production goes down which prevents me from increasing biofuel production. Because of this its really important to try and fix things before the shortages start.