Let's play it "save"?

Dear Hivemind,

I'd like to hear your opinion on whether or not a save system influences the way you cope with failure or making non-optimal choices in a game. For example, does triggering an alarm in your DX:HR stealth run make you hit the Quickload button? Do you reload an earlier save game if you just lost a valuable city in Civ5? Or just had your ass served on a silver plate by a bunch of chrysalids? Is fixing a screwed-up character build a reason for you to rewind the game's clock and continue from an earlier point? Or do you just get on with the game like the manly guy you are and live with the consequences?

I am mostly referring to games where screwing up at a certain occasion doesn't end the current game itself of course - reloading after a lost map in the StarCraft 2 single player campaign obviously doesn't count for example.

I tend to do this a lot and think that this habit stems from experiences with games such as Commandos where a single misplaced step usually means the end of your mission. Recently I tried to work against the urge to quickload a lot and was moderatly successful with this during my Bioshock playthrough.

Also, multiplayer games are great for abandoning this "tactic".

Network Hub
    Yes, I quicksave. The game has to be almost flawless (in terms of AI logic and controls and interface) otherwise to avoid 'stupid' deaths that don't feel like your fault.

It doesn't help that achievements like Foxiest of Hounds exist (never trigger an alarm in all of DX:HR)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I only save for when I am done playing for the moment or as protection against lost play time because of something like a crash.

If my favorite NPC dies in an RPG, tough titties. I need to find a way to resurrect them or another NPC to replace them. The fact that during my game of Baldur's Gate Imoen was turned to stone by a basilisk and then blown apart by a poorly-placed fireball meant I could never resurrect her. When she appeared at the start of the sequel I was so turned off by this continuity issue I stopped playing, as I felt this was no longer my character's story.

The same goes for lost battles in strategy titles. I find this gives more weight to every decision I make and makes my overall gaming experience more fulfilling. What's the point of having choices if you don't have to deal with the consequences?

Activated Node
    I don't often re-load for a mistake. For a game like civ, if something happens that is going to mean my defeat, I'll simply just start anew unless I can easily avoid it through loading a save game not too far back. If I'm going for a perfection run (trying to get the fastest time in DoW2 or getting achievements in SC2) I'll load as soon as I don't think I'll be successful.

The sort of games I've encountered this on have been things like UFO or Football manager. In those games I try very hard to play them 'realistically' and resist the urge to reload when things aren't going my way. But I can't pretend that it's never happened.

I think one of reasons comes down to whether I feel the game has been fair in its dealing out of bad events. If it makes clear that you're making a choice, and the result of that choice could risk something bad happening, it's perhaps a bit easier to stomach. The feeling that you couldn't do anything to help having all your operatives killed by a grenade at the entrance of your Skyranger is a strong lure to pushing the reload button.

Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    The sort of games I've encountered this on have been things like UFO or Football manager. In those games I try very hard to play them 'realistically' and resist the urge to reload when things aren't going my way.
    Jagged Alliance comes to mind, too.

Activated Node
    Nope, never quicksave. Ever. Hell, I even forget to manually save most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Leach View Post
    Nope, never quicksave. Ever. Hell, I even forget to manually save most of the time.
    Same. Only in horror games I may try to frantically save after every corner, but they usually don't allow that. Otherwise I just roll with the flow, if I fail then I fail and I'll try again, bit wiser.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I love quicksave. It is a far greater enabler of player experimentation than any other feature. I like to explore the boundaries of my games, and that means doing things I'm well aware may not work. I want to know if I can survive a fall, how wide an enemy's field of vision is, or what happens if I do any number of possibly silly actions. In a game without quicksave I don't want to mess around, because I can't do so without losing progress every time something goes wrong.