"Tribute" alter egos.

Someone on the forums is using hitmans sign as an avatar, which reminded me that when Neocron came out, I played it for like a month and a half (the maximum Ive ever been on an MMO) with a character called Rieper. I loved the original Hitman to death, and Blood Money was pretty close to the genious that was the first one.

I went through a lot of nicknames before my current one (even though QuantaCat is at least ten years old already). Most reoccuring one was "gecko". and I shortly took the nick of "one" (sad to admit, but because I loved that borg episode of voyager, arrrr) But as tribute nicks, I only did that Rieper one, for only the time I spent in the MMO.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

PS: I usually use my own name as a nickname, because, with the internet and google and whatnot, why bother?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I name most of my Dredmor characters and a fair few Blood Bowl players "Steve" in tribute to a friend. Nothing to actual game characters though, I'd just feel like a fanboy.

I usually use "Closeau" as a name when I'm playing spy games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I always come up with my own names, personalities and characters, with the exception of the character "Indigo", who was heavily inspired by Louise Cooper's Indigo-series. I figured it's obscure enough to get away with it, and apart from her affinity to animal companionship and general toughness, there's not that much similarity (apart from the colour of the eyes, of course).
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    I name most of my Dredmor characters and a fair few Blood Bowl players "Steve" in tribute to a friend. Nothing to actual game characters though, I'd just feel like a fanboy.
    I named a couple of my Dredmor characters after a character from The Lyonesse, but what I found is that whenever I don't name a Dredmor character in any serious way I do a whole lot better... Strange.