Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

PETA - Not aware that Mario's Tanooki Suit isn't real. It's not even faux ffs.

"PETA, the People for the Ethnic Treatment of Animals, has launched an attack on Mario for his use of the Tanooki Suit." http://www.computerandvideogames.com...f-tanooki-fur/

Actual quote from PETA's "Mario Kills Tanooki" page -

"When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. Play Super Tanooki Skin 2D and help Tanooki reclaim his fur!" http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/

Also on the PETA website -

"Luckily, there is no need to be cruel to stay warm and look cool. Cruelty-free fabrics and faux furs are available in stores everywhere, and PETA continues to work with designers and clothing retailers to encourage them to use and sell only animal-friendly fabrics." http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...thing/fur.aspx

Fucking bunch of idiots! I lose more respect for them every time they pull this type of publicity stunt. They did the same with Super Meat Boy.
    Last edited by Heister; 15-11-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Network Hub
    They're an embarrassment to vegetarians and vegans everywhere. The only reason they get any press whatsoever is because of sensationalist shit like this. And the best part is when the reasonable ones among us get lumped in with those saps.

Sea Kittens!!

P.S. - I'm a vegetarian, but I would fully support eating peta members.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    The Tanooki Suit is implicitly not made out of Tanooki fur. I haven't played it, but in Super Paper Mario, Francis (a bad guy, apparently) wants a Tanooki Suit made with real Tanooki fur, implying that regular Tanooki suits aren't made out of fur. So, um, yeah. That's a fail on PETA's part.

Given that the "special powers" Mario gets in Tanooki form are based on those attributed to the tanuki in Japanese folklore, though, it's pretty obvious that Mario becomes a tanuki, not just wearing the fur of one. Even PETA should know this, so I'm going to attribute this to disingenuousness rather than stupidity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    PETA has been a laughingstock for a long while.

In New York state alone, they're responsible for petitioning Fishkill, NY and Hamburg, NY to change their names (both of them said 'fuck you' and the former pointed out that 'kill' means 'stream' in Dutch) and putting up anti-fur billboards in NYC that managed to be offensive and degrading to women.

But the best part is how they reacted when it came out that they have the worst track record for euthanizing-to-adoption ratios of any animal shelter in the country. Here's this PETA rep admitting that, yes, they do indeed euthanize animals if their owners can't afford vet care, as a rebuttal to the accusation that they don't care for animals! Hell, in trying to rebut this accusation, she also insinuated that PETA are really bad with money, if they can run these ad campaigns but have a less than 1% average success rate over the last five years.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I can understand and support vegetarians and vegans for their views. But what we all agree on is that PETA needs to die.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-11-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    PETA has been a laughingstock for a long while.

In New York state alone, they're responsible for petitioning Fishkill, NY and Hamburg, NY to change their names (both of them said 'fuck you' and the former pointed out that 'kill' means 'stream' in Dutch) and putting up anti-fur billboards in NYC that managed to be offensive and degrading to women.

But the best part is how they reacted when it came out that they have the worst track record for euthanizing-to-adoption ratios of any animal shelter in the country. Here's this PETA rep admitting that, yes, they do indeed euthanize animals if their owners can't afford vet care, as a rebuttal to the accusation that they don't care for animals! Hell, in trying to rebut this accusation, she also insinuated that PETA are really bad with money, if they can run these ad campaigns but have a less than 1% average success rate over the last five years.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I can understand and support vegetarians and vegans for their views. But what we all agree on is that PETA needs to die.
    This sounds like a very american company. How do they not know that hamburgers are named after the original citiy it came from? Why are there stupid people allowed near animals?!

Also, incidentally, dont pet animals contribute the most to the greenhouse effect? KILL ALL PETA AND PETS.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    This sounds like a very american company. How do they not know that hamburgers are named after the original citiy it came from? Why are there stupid people allowed near animals?!

Also, incidentally, dont pet animals contribute the most to the greenhouse effect? KILL ALL PETA AND PETS.
    Soon they'll picket Frankfurt.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Soon they'll picket Frankfurt.
    aaaaaaaAAAAaaaAaaaaAahhAHaAaaAAAAAaaaa
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    The only reason PETA is still alive is because people pay attention to them. If people just ignored them, they'd go away.

There's also some of the fucking horror stories of former PETA members. Being told to mistreat puppies and take pictures of them for ad campaigns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Also, incidentally, dont pet animals contribute the most to the greenhouse effect?
    I believe meat livestock contribute significantly more than pets, especially when you consider how many animals the average person eats in a year compared to how many they own in a year. And the fact is that there are artificially many more cows in the world than there would be if we didn't have to keep up with the demand of the meat industry.

But now I sound like I'm defending PETA! This will not do. This will not do at all!

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I believe meat livestock contribute significantly more than pets, especially when you consider how many animals the average person eats in a year compared to how many they own in a year. And the fact is that there are artificially many more cows in the world than there would be if we didn't have to keep up with the demand of the meat industry.

But now I sound like I'm defending PETA! This will not do. This will not do at all!
    See? That's the problem! They're poisoning their own issue!

Kinda like the #OWS folks.

Also, apropos of nothing, there is only one Wien in all of America, which makes me sad, because it means it's very unlikely that I get to make another PETA-doesn't-understand-meat joke while I'm talking to a Viennese guy.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    They're not pro-animals, they're extincionist anti-human.

Seems to me by reacting to it you're just playing into their hands here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    The Tanooki Suit is implicitly not made out of Tanooki fur. I haven't played it, but in Super Paper Mario, Francis (a bad guy, apparently) wants a Tanooki Suit made with real Tanooki fur, implying that regular Tanooki suits aren't made out of fur. So, um, yeah. That's a fail on PETA's part.

Given that the "special powers" Mario gets in Tanooki form are based on those attributed to the tanuki in Japanese folklore, though, it's pretty obvious that Mario becomes a tanuki, not just wearing the fur of one. Even PETA should know this, so I'm going to attribute this to disingenuousness rather than stupidity.
    Even PETA should know this? I'm a casual Mario follower and I didn't know all that crap.

Network Hub
    It doesn't help that they get very public support from people like Chrissie Hynde and that professional moron Morrissey. Can you imagine how many fans of their music lap up anything PETA say just because their favourite musician gave it a thumbs up?

I do feel the welfare of animals is a worthy cause, but PETA have turned themselves into a joke by focusing their public campaigns on trivial things like Mario. Like Morrissey they've drained any goodwill some people might have had for them and as such any genuine issues they talk about will fall on deaf ears. If Morrissey wasn't such a monumentally crass arsehole people might (might) listen. Instead they just laugh at him (well I know I do, laugh and weep).

Still, good work clouding your own arguments, PETA.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Even PETA should know this? I'm a casual Mario follower and I didn't know all that crap.
    I was talking more about Japanese folklore rather than Mario. You pretty much can't research the tanuki without finding out its significance in folklore. And if they care about the tanuki as much as they claim, they must have researched it.

By the way, monochrom did a report about annoying PETA and ProLife stands, namely one in front of a viennese abortion clinic. So they (or atleast, Apunkt Schneider, one of its' members) decided to create their own stand, which is for maximising earths population, the so called "totalpopulation". I think it is an asimov concept, as mentioned in the article. It's in german only, sadly, but apparently, he approached the other two stands for this "cause", and both of them were very interested in what it was trying to propagate, because "totalpopulation" promotes "ultimate efficiency", and it would mean that all are vegetarians, due to the most efficient foodstuffs would be algae. But also means that every human is positioned and used most efficiently.

Anyhow, hilarious.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Obscure Node
    Just wow. The sensitivity of the world is... silly. Never thought I'd consider sensitivity stupid. But if you want to see sheer gaming IGNORANCE, go here. It will boggle the mind, and make you want to murder that magazine;

http://i51.tinypic.com/10n9hfr.png

I want to die...

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    It doesn't help that they get very public support from people like Chrissie Hynde and that professional moron Morrissey. Can you imagine how many fans of their music lap up anything PETA say just because their favourite musician gave it a thumbs up?

I do feel the welfare of animals is a worthy cause, but PETA have turned themselves into a joke by focusing their public campaigns on trivial things like Mario. Like Morrissey they've drained any goodwill some people might have had for them and as such any genuine issues they talk about will fall on deaf ears. If Morrissey wasn't such a monumentally crass arsehole people might (might) listen. Instead they just laugh at him (well I know I do, laugh and weep).

Still, good work clouding your own arguments, PETA.
    SSSHHHHH!!!! Morrissey hears every bad word ever said/written about him. He's prolly on his way to you now!

Also, whilst I detest PETA, I do sometimes enjoy their random naked-celeb ads. Ya know.... for the whole um... art... aspect...