UK Minecraft server rental

Hi I spend hours playing Minecraft in single player but for a while have thought it would be much nicer to play with some of my friends. So to that end I was thinking of renting a small private Minecraft server, about 6-8 players, just for myself and a few friends to play on. Cost wise hopefully not more than 10-15 a month. Was looking at renting it from somewhere like this perhaps http://www.verygames.co.uk/product/2...te#description, but does anyone else have any suggestions or better recommendations? We are UK based so I would prefer something more local in case I need to ring tech support, also in the case of the above example their interface appears to be mostly in French, and my French isn't that good.

I note in the above example it says the server comes with 5GB of disk space with the option to expand it, but how much do you need, am I really likely to need more than their basic offering?

Are there any other extra's options I should be looking out for?

Can I easily password the server to only allow my friends on?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Obscure Node
    I've had good experience with these guys:
    http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/.../mc-minecraft/

As it happens, they seem to have a sale on at the moment too! 50% off any server rental for more than 3 months.

I never really got the chance to use the server as much as I hoped, and never got much use out of it. But I never had any problems with it when I did use it. Easily passworded. Or alternatively, you can set up a list of friends' accounts, and have the server only let on people whose name is on the list.

I can't speak for their customer service, as I never had to use it. But I can say their server management software was really good- made installing mods etc really easy. The forum's full of really useful guides to server stuff. And I remember the server was ready to play on literally a minute or two after I made the order.

I don't really know much about the disk space, but I find it hard to imagine you would end up with a world save file in the GB range! I can’t think of anything else you’d need hard-drive space for. I think you’d have to do a huge amount of exploration (ie. Make the world really huge) to get a save with that kind of size.

I think it's RAM which determines how many people the server can handle easily at once. Also, I think some mods increase RAM usage.

If you want want to play with mods, I think you want to look out of servers supporting Bukkit, which is some mod hosting thingymajig.
    Last edited by thenagus; 17-11-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Have a small multiplay minecraft server myself (just come out of there in fact). Has 4 regular users, and we've expended out a fair bit, and the world size is only something in the region of 120mb. I think I saw on the forums somewhere that they give you 2gb hd space, so you really should have more than enough I'd think. We just took the cheapest option (400mb ram) and haven't run into much in the way of lag or issues, though you might need more with more people. You can set up separate profiles so that you can swap out different maps/mods, which we've found quite handy. And you get a free mumble server too (not sure if that makes a difference at all).

Thanks for your help guys. Might go for that 50% off deal whilst I can then I think.

Obscure Node
    Take a look to this site before you rent minecraft server. Is compare with up to 35 hosts, good one.