Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fable isnt nonsexist in its makings. Also, I think Saints Row has less customisation, if such a thing is even possible.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I'm honestly not sure what your point is. Saints Row and Fable both have different animations for females as well as different voices (although Fable 2/3 just have one voice per gender of Hero, I believe).

SR 3rd has three different animation sets (I think, I know #2 did) for each gender, three sets of voices too. Both games are bigger as well, and as such more animations are required and they have to work for the many different body types and clothes they've created. Yes, it might have less customisation in the total of unique characters you can make, but it still doesn't mean it wouldn't be feasible for SD to create females for Brink.

It's nothing to do with sexism or anything like that. It's somewhat understandable for something like ARMA, sure, but for a futuristic shooter? Nah, it's not really something devs can really justify for many games beyond going on pointlessly about time and money.

I would certainly buy Brink if they lowered the price. Played it on a free weekend and thought it was a bit unstable and buggy for me. But after BF3, it seems pretty damned stable.

I'm really craving an arcadey multiplayer shooter, I had hoped BF3 would fill that slot. But the damned thing won't stop fucking up. After RO2 I thought BF3 couldn't possibly frustrate me with bugs and performance issues. But RO2 and Brink are far more polished, that's not a compliment to the state of either of those games at all by the way. I can actually play them, albeit a little bit choppy framerate wise. But they work!

Activated Node
    Honestly, I played Brink during the free weekend and thought it was pretty fun - as much as being able to have a female avatar would be nice. But the lack of content + the fragmentation of the playerbase can only be bad things, in the long run. As much as that seems to have already been proven.

It's a shame, really, as a lot of thought and care was put into the world and story of the game - especially for an MP-only game.

Hm. Whats your reason for desperately wanting female characters anyway? Not that I hate more diversity, I just dont care.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Hm. Whats your reason for desperately wanting female characters anyway? Not that I hate more diversity, I just dont care.
    Because I simply prefer to play female characters? I also care very little for the male form, and as such I'm not particularly interesting in one of Brink's features (i.e. the vast customisation) because I would not be able to invest any amount of interest in it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I forgot about the lack of female PCs. Another reason why it should have been kept in development until it was actually finished, or simply canned.

And really, I'm not a hater. I must have played 20 hours of Brink on the 360, and it had the potential to be one of my favourite multiplayer games ever, so now I'm just disappointed.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    I forgot about the lack of female PCs. Another reason why it should have been kept in development until it was actually finished, or simply canned.
    Isn't that a bit too high handed for a redundant feature?

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Whether or not it's redundant is up for debate - it's an issue for UnravThreads, and I'm sure it's an issue for many other people. Personally, I don't really care, but it's something a lot of people were vocal about in the lead-up to the release of the game.

And I was adding it to the list of reasons I mentioned in my previous post as to why it should have been kept in development or canned. On its own it might not be a big issue to most people, but I see it as one more thing to add to the list of features that should have shipped with the game.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub
    The enemy is taking our command post!

Brink is quite good, but it's basically the same game as Enemy Territory (and short on maps, but has 10 now, up from 8). The customization's cute, but ultimately just a distraction, and I'm not a fan of leveling for unlock bits in competitive games. What I really want is more Quake Wars, mostly for being meaner, bigger, messier, and rangier, in the Battlefield sense, and having big maps and vehicles and deployables.

The fundamental mistake of Brink, outside of the messy launch and janky player movement, was to misrepresent it as a game for everyone, when it's really still the same kind of sporty ultra-competitive game as ET and QW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Brink is quite good, but it's basically the same game as Enemy Territory (and short on maps, but has 10 now, up from 8). The customization's cute, but ultimately just a distraction, and I'm not a fan of leveling for unlock bits in competitive games. What I really want is more Quake Wars, mostly for being meaner, bigger, messier, and rangier, in the Battlefield sense, and having big maps and vehicles and deployables.

The fundamental mistake of Brink, outside of the messy launch and janky player movement, was to misrepresent it as a game for everyone, when it's really still the same kind of sporty ultra-competitive game as ET and QW.
    I second all of that. I still love the game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Some games just deserve to die. Brink is one of them. It doesn't appeal to anyone.

But Paul "Brink" Wedgewood, the CEO and chief designer at Splash Damage, is so confident that he gives lectures. About game design, on universities.

A much more timid version of this post was removed from Brink forums.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Whether or not it's redundant is up for debate - it's an issue for UnravThreads, and I'm sure it's an issue for many other people.
    I suspect the ability to shoot a woman in the face would be a big issue for considerably more people tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Some games just deserve to die. Brink is one of them. It doesn't appeal to anyone.
    Do you mean besides the people who liked it, or

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    I suspect the ability to shoot a woman in the face would be a big issue for considerably more people tbh.
    Never seemed to bother people playing UT or Quake III, but that was a couple of genarations ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Never seemed to bother people playing UT or Quake III, but that was a couple of genarations ago.
    Or GTA IV (and its multiplayer), nor in many other games.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post

But Paul "Brink" Wedgewood, the CEO and chief designer at Splash Damage, is so confident that he gives lectures. About game design, on universities.

A much more timid version of this post was removed from Brink forums.
    My, why would it not be removed from it! its such an enlightened and fantastic discussion point!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    My, why would it not be removed from it! its such an enlightened and fantastic discussion point!
    When you design a total failure like Brink, you shouldn't pretend you're a good game designer. Paul "Brink" Wedgewood thinks he has a lot of wisdom to share.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Or GTA IV (and its multiplayer)
    Pretty sure it's one of the main complaints levelled at the GTA series as a whole.