A guide to RPS Blood Bowl

(last updated 05 August, 2011)

Welcome, Intrepid Reader, to the World of RPS Blood Bowl.

Blood Bowl is a game of Orcs punching Elves over a ball. Simple enough.

Here at RPS we like the game so much we have several entire leagues devoted to it, spread across an equally baffling number of threads.

This particular thread is to help guide you towards the Blood Bowl League that is right for you. We'll try to keep it up to date so new players know where to go for some good old krumpin' and elfballin'.

It is considered good etiquette to join the RPS Bloodbowl steam group, and message potential opponents before making a challenge in any of the leagues, but not strictly necessary. Individual threads have more details, including spreadsheets of player contact details.

New players will be most interested in the Challenge League, Divisions of Death or FUMBBL group, as these have short or no waiting periods to join.

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (Cyanide)
    Cyanide's version of Blood Bowl is widely popular as a good, graphical way to get into Blood Bowl. It's not without flaws, but it still has excellent gameplay.

NOTE: IN MOST CYANIDE LEAGUES (Exception: Challenge League), RESULTS MUST BE VERIFIED BY AN ADMIN. THIS ALLOWS GAMES TO BE PLAYED AGAIN IF A PLAYER CRASHES. THEREFORE, AFTER COMPLETING YOUR MATCH YOU WILL NOT IMMEDIATELY BE ABLE TO SPEND YOUR NEW SPP AND GOLD.

* * * THE RPS CHALLENGE LEAGUE * * *
    The RPS Challenge League, run by drawlien.

The RPS Challenge League is an informal place for RPS coaches to play against each other. There are no restrictions on race or TV, and there are no fixtures. Instead, you challenge other players to a friendly match for fun or practice.

To sign up, you need to apply to the League with your team and post in the thread. Once an admin approves you (because we don't want any of those rage quitting, mother-slandering non-RPS types ruining everyone else's fun), you can then play as you wish.

Teams may start at any TV. There are no race limitations.

The RPS Challenge League is currently OPEN and accepting signups.

* * * THE RPS OPEN * * *
    The RPS Open, run by Jolima.

The RPS Open has just started its fifth season. A season consists of up to fourteen coaches (depending on interest, currently 12) playing all others once, with ten days to fit in each match. This makes each season take about four months to finish.

Teams start at a TV close to where the teams from the previous season ended at. For season 5 this was 1600 TV. A maximum of one player per race is enforced. (Rules are subject to tweaking between seasons.)

The RPS Open is currently NOT accepting signups. The next season will not be starting until September.

* * * THE RPS CUP * * *
    The RPS Cup, run by Daave. The cup is now over. PotatoeDoughnut's undead team, [RPS] AbraCadaver, won. The following description remains intact for posterity.

The RPS Cup is a 64 player elimination tournament which was frontpaged by Quinns. It's currently in the 'best 8' phase, and should be finished within the month.

There is a separate thread for match reports.

Teams started at around 1000 TV. There were no race limitations.

The RPS Cup is currently NOT accepting signups.

* * * THE DIVISIONS OF DEATH * * *
    The Divisions of Death, run by GroovyChainsaw.

The Divisions of Death are a series of mini-leagues. Each division has four players, and at the end of the month players are promoted, demoted or shifted to the side based upon the performance. This helps ensure that each month a player will face a completely different set of opponents. There are currently >40 coaches involved, and ten days are allowed for each match, meaning that the league is updated every month or so. Check out post 1 of the Divisions of Death thread for more details about how to register your interest and how it all works.

There is a separate thread for organising matches (which has mostly been replaced by Division specific threads in the Forum Group), whilst the main thread is used for reporting results.

New teams start at around 1000 TV. Currently a maximum of about four players per race are allowed.

The Divisions of Death is currently SEMI-OPEN and accepting signups, you’ll have to keep a close eye on the thread, as normally the next season gets going in less than a week, and you’ll need to apply in that time or miss out for another month.

FUMBBL (BB-esque Java application, £free!)
    FUMBBL is a free alternative to Cyanide's offerings. What it lacks in graphics, it makes up in portability and flexibility. Unlike Cyanide BB, you can even save mid-match and come back later!

* * * THE FUMBBL GROUP * * *
    The RPS FUMBBL Group, run by Janek and Ian.

The RPS FUMBBL Group is currently used for casual matches between FUMBBL players.

Teams may start at any TV. There are no race limitations.

The FUMBBL Group is currently OPEN and accepting signups.

How to play
    The official rulebook, to which the Cyanide version of the game mostly adheres, can be found on the Games Workshop website here. There are a few other documents of interest on this page, whilst bbtactics.com is an excellent resource for planning teams.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 05-08-2011 at 02:25 PM.

The RPS FUMBBL group is actually run more by Janek than it is by me, but I do have admin permissions so feel free to bother me instead of him. :D

Good thread though and it'd be good if this could get stickied.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Very nice idea Nullkigan. +1 on the sticky.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Yeah +5 for a sticky :-). Good job Nullkigan!

Just spotted this again whilst looking for something else. Would we need to pester one of the Hivemind for a sticky? Or are there new forum-boss type folks that I've forgotten about in the new-o-forum?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Network Hub
    Nice post, +1 for stickification.

Update: Potatoedoughnut Won the RPS Cup with his Undead team Abracadaver
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Never seen this before - STICKY IT!!!
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    What's that I'm sitting on, it looks like something, something STICKY. It's not as STICKY as the strawberry jam I had this morning, but it's certainly mighty STICKY.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    There is, indeed, a certain stickiness to this whole topic, like stepping into a Beast of Nurgle.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

and here I was thinking Beasts of Nurgle were climy not Sticky

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Climy. Good word. Is that half-way between between clammy and slimy?

wow those letters aren't even that close, or even the same keyboard finger, and it's still not as good as twunt

This is indeed the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck to a sticky bun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imirk View Post
    and here I was thinking Beasts of Nurgle were climy not Sticky
    That depends what you did to the STICKY beast of nurgle before it became STICKY, like this thread.

I admit that your description of climy is being pretty apt, too. I also have a new name for my Nurgle Team. Well done, Sir Inspiration.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I'm pretty sure if we stick with it we'll get through this sticky situation.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I am bumping this, although with the Divisions having just started their new season and the Open being what, halfway through? Not even? it's not the best time to be signing up for Blood Bowl on RPS. There is however the Challenge league, which is well worth signing up to as you'll encounter far less farmed teams and dicketry than you would in Auld World or Naggaroth.