Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your ideal WH40K game?

Everytime we get a news post about DoW2, Dark Millenium or Space Marine a few of us break off into discussion about the games we actually like to play set in the 40k universe, with a notable tendency to repeat ourselves :) Let's keep them all together here, where hopefully someone nice and GW HQ will come look at satisfy our needs.

I have a couple of games I'd like see happen:

• A single player RPG/immersive sim based on the Dark Heresy pnprpg, beginning with your induction as an Inquisitional asset. This could really stand to draw its inspiration from DX, Bloodlines and CoC: DCoE.
    • A Rogue Trader game, based on a elite/X/Freespace model
    • X-Com inspired Necromunda and, though not 40k, Mordheim games
    • An Imperial Guard focussed CoD style game, that really emphasises how insignificant your character is and do the Horror-of-war thing justice, unlike its hammy representation in CoD. It could totally draw its inspiration from classic vietnam movies, Full Metal Jacket and Platoon would work best. Especially if the tutorial was done FMJ style, with conscripts, prisoner and volunteers in training under a vicious commissar.
    • A bashy Ork game like God of War. Gork and Mork of War, or similar.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 08-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I always thought it would be cool to see an inquisitor game in the style of KOTOR where you could take on characters such as assasins and enforcers, as well as have a puritan/radical sort of ethics thing - I also thought it would be cool if there was a game similar to this but with a more mass effect 2 style, although I am not sure how you would do the meelee

OpFlash/Arma-type action as a guardsman. Starting as a grunt and developing into a squad leader, and maybe further.

Also, the X-Com-style Necromunda/Mordheim is a lovely idea.

Something based on the Tau (a decent Fire Warrior)!

A proper MMO with all the races? Maybe a bit extreme...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom OBedlam View Post
    [*]X-Com inspired Necromunda and, though not 40k, Mordheim games

I have given serious thought to making my own version. If anybody fancies collaborating, I'd be happy to help. i don't think it would be *that* difficult to make a passable version in Unity3D. Especially if somebody else did the network code. Of course, we'd get a cease and desist letter from GW. Maybe we could wear it as a badge of honour?

I forget who said it in the comments but someone had the wonderful idea of a Deff Skwadron game, that would tickle me if it were joyously bonkers and arcadey.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 08-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    Let's not forget of the Battlefleet Gothic RTS. I love all the other ideas, especially the Ravenor/Eisenhorn RPG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Personally I've always just wanted a digital version of the table top game with an outstanding AI to play against and good online conectivity to playing against/with friends. It'll never happen, of course.

Activated Node
    I was trying to think of something clever to say but actually Vinraith's suggestion is so blindingly perfect that I can add nothing but my full support.

Do you know, oddly I really don't think I'd like that. I've not actually played with my toys in a few years, but I can't imagine any simulated version that could do it justice.
    - Wizardry

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Personally I've always just wanted a digital version of the table top game with an outstanding AI to play against and good online conectivity to playing against/with friends. It'll never happen, of course.
    I wouldn't mind hex-fields and units moving as individual units, if that what it takes. For everything else? Yes, please.

Just let me build up my own army for once, from the start. With points. And loads and loads and loads of unit customization (is anyone stll playing Necrons?).
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I had a discussion about this at work the other day and decided that my life would effectively grind to a halt on release of Imperium: Total War and Civilisation 40k or anything that could legitimately be called either of those things.

Oooo Armageddon: Total War could work beautifully!

Thing with Civ40k would be that you couldn't have a win condition for anyone, or tech tree for most of the races, as any sense of progression would be against the stagnation that makes the grimdark what it is.

Also your name fills me with dark Slaaneshy fear.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 08-06-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Primal Horror
    - Wizardry

Fair point on the Civ 40k. I suppose what I meant was "I want someone to mod Civ IV* so it has all 40k units and textures etc".

Your avatar likewise fills me with Slaaneshy fear. Knowing full well what will happen by doing this in a thread full of 40k boffins; I always liked the mythos around Slaanesh but could never really identify with their units. Demonettes look like they escaped from an 80s music video and steeds just look a bit like horses at a child's birthday party. If they had something more darkly depraved than hot lobsters and equestrian party hooters, I love it. As it is they seem a bit like the runt of the litter, conceptually, when sat next to the more fully realised Nurgle/Khorne or the willfully odd Tzeentch. Which upsets me because the idea of gibbering ultra-hedonists on an eternal and quite literally unholy binge is extremely cool.

*Yes, I'm one of those.

Something planted the seeds of a harlequin (solitaire?)/assassin's creed space opera noir sort of deal in my mind a while ago, and it's growing.

I'd also be into a titan princeps kind of giant mech thing where maybe you have to swap between the crew positions and the machine spirit to get stuff done; inspiration obv: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tita...c_Novel_Series)

And +1 for deff skwadron!

Obscure Node
    I want a digitized version of EPIC: Armageddon. it would be great to actually execute maneuvers without needing a gymnasium floor to serve as a tabletop. Also, they can add all the races the ForgeWorld has been working on and some updated from the past editions.

Also, any ideas using the FFG 40K RPG books will get a vote in my opinion. I have been using a combo of Dark Hersey / Rogue Trader / little bit of DeathWatch to run a "faction-based" campaign where players take on the roles of PC's on various "teams" in our local sub-sector of space. Using the RT Profit Factor to give a basis of power for each faction, we outfit dudes as we can based on requisition roles and run DM-arbitrated missions. The players do missions based on detective work or gun battles or diplomacy depending on the overall narrative and what the players wanna do. Also, it is kind of nice because one faction might only be doing some trading and merchant stuff while another is trying to take an important objective by force - always some interesting things for the players to depending on the mood.

We've just started and I can see it will be loads of DM work but damn - our own narrative of a 40K sub-sector? I'll put up with the paperwork.

There needs to be a proper Epic-scale game, which models the entire planet in one go, so you can zoom to titans on any part of the battlefiield.

I idly fantasize about making exactly that sort of game one day. Maybe I shall.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    There needs to be a proper Epic-scale game, which models the entire planet in one go, so you can zoom to titans on any part of the battlefiield.

I idly fantasize about making exactly that sort of game one day. Maybe I shall.

I always thought some something like the Sins of a Solar Empire engine, but set on a single planetary system would be awesome... trenchwarfare streching accross continents.... zooming into beachheads and dropping a pod of marines behind enemy lines....

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    I always thought some something like the Sins of a Solar Empire engine, but set on a single planetary system would be awesome... trenchwarfare streching accross continents.... zooming into beachheads and dropping a pod of marines behind enemy lines....
    The collective wargame of our imaginations will be a fine game one day. Add in a touch of Alpha Centauri unit design and there it is.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by oatish View Post
    The collective wargame of our imaginations will be a fine game one day. Add in a touch of Alpha Centauri unit design and there it is.
    :)

one day, one day.

on a more serious note, if anybody does want to try and make a mp client for an online necromunda... let me know. I'm sure I can cannibalise some of my existing code. But