Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

No More Dragons!

There have been two awesome dragons in the history of media - Sean Connery (you could have replaced the dragon with a Mr Potato head and my reaction still would still be "AW MA GAWD IT'S SEAN CONNERY!") and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty (who is ten times scarier in her normal form). Maybe the upcoming Hobbit movie will change things, but until then, dragons suck.

Yet these winged beasts are synonymous with fantasy (it's not hard to see why, the child in us loves dinosaurs), and are crowbarred into every modern fantasy game. I'm talking about Skyrim's infinite dragons. I don't like them. I found out if you don't complete the initial dragon tablet main quest, no dragons appear in Skyrim, so that's exactly what I did (or rather didn't do.) Over 120 hours played without dragons. See, the problem with these dragons is they won't let you be what you want from a roleplay perspective. You should be able to do a few quests and take up cabbage farming (this bracket break is pointless, I just wanted to annoy you), but the dragons are always there to prod you along as you come back to the smouldering remnants of Uncle Owen.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Shut up, bitch.

It's really hard to tell if this thread is about dragons in general, or just about Skyrim. But anyway, the problem isn't with dragons themselves, it's not like dragons are forcing themselves into these games; it's down to the developers and how they handle implementing such a clichéd fantasy icon. Demon's Souls had three of the most imposing and destructive dragons I've encountered in a game, and the game only had those three. I haven't played Skyrim, but whoever came up with the idea of INFINITE dragons probably hasn't heard of the concept of diminishing returns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Of all the tedious problems facing swordy games, most of which have been essentially identical for about 25 years, dragons are among the least of them.

The only good dragon fight was the one in Dungeon Siege 2. Mostly because only the tank in your party could survive it, and after you make it crash to the ground; you think it's all over and while you walk to the Standard Act Ending Room, its head suddenly pops out of a wall to attack you in a fight that's even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    It's really hard to tell if this thread is about dragons in general, or just about Skyrim.
    Bit of both. I just wanted to address this developer/publisher fallacy that in order to sell a fantasy game you need a dragon, and simultaneously elbow Skyrim's ribs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The Dragons in Skyrim are as much part of the game as bears,sabrecats and bunnies, they are just wildlife but flying.

Skyrim does dragons justice. Dragons are in many games as boss monsters but before Skyrim they either sat on the ground(ala Baldur's Gate) or were a sequence of QTEs(ala Daggerdale).
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

I like dragons! also OP you are missing the Giant Floppy Eared Dragon from The Neverending Story in your list of great dragons.

I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    The biggest thing Beth did right with Dragons was not to script them. The biggest mistake is that their AI sucks for everyone, just find a spot to dodge projectiles, jump in, jump out for a nuke, hide again. Rinse and repeat.

Wait no, the biggest mistake was not to let you ride them, tease you with it and then get a crappy cutscene. It really annoyed me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I found the Dragons in Skyrim to be astonishingly good - shared my fears of the OP and took a long time to activate Dragons, which I'm now regretting and definitely won't make the same mistake again for a second playthrough.

I can't really think of any other game that did Dragons right, although the Velah-raid in DDO was pretty amazing and impressive.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The Dragons in Skyrim are as much part of the game as bears,sabrecats and bunnies, they are just wildlife but flying.
    Wildlife doesn't have an argro area three miles wide. Let me put it this way: in traditional fantasy worlds dragons are constantly challenged by humans seeking gold, glory, or a trial to marry the local princess. The dragon strikes them down one by one, but over the years they keep coming until one day a lucky human kills the dragon.

In Skyrim, YOU are the dragon. The dragons are the dragonhunters, an unavoidable nuisance that constantly interrupt your daily life.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 30-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

Have I ever told you about how dragons are literally the devil.

Because they are.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I can't really think of any other game that did Dragons right, although the Velah-raid in DDO was pretty amazing and impressive.
    Gothic 2, Demon's Souls, Baldur's Gate 2. Though it all depends what you mean by "right".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    Gothic 2, Demon's Souls, Baldur's Gate 2. Though it all depends what you mean by "right".
    I haven't played Demon's Souls for lack of Playstationing, but both in Baldur's Gate 2 and Gothic 2 they have merely been pretty static spell generators with a lot of hitpoints.

Okay, so BG2 did a good job of making them feel very, very powerful due to the cool spell-like abilities, but in Gothic 2, the awesomeness of the dragon fights was mostly influenced by the very lovingly detailed ambient in which they were crafted.

For me, at least. :) Skyrim does them justice. Dragon Age did not.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I rather liked Divinity 2's use of dragons. Or at least the lore built up around them.

I personally quite like dragons. Cant think of anything off the top of my head where I saw a Dragon and thought "Oh god! Here we go again."
    Orcs, Elves and Dwarves however...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls do dragons the best out of all the games I've played. Just your first brief glimpse of the red drake in Dark Souls was more pants-shittingly exciting than all of Skyrim's dragons, infinite as they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I personally quite like dragons. Cant think of anything off the top of my head where I saw a Dragon and thought "Oh god! Here we go again."
    Orcs, Elves and Dwarves however...
    The thing that bugs me is the (pretty much universal) assumption that humans are the "average", e.g. in physique you get your svelte elves, stocky dwarves and middle humans. It'd be a nice change if humans represented one end of the spectrum.

Or maybe it's just me being contrary from my own unique perspective ;)
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

What about ZOMBIE dragons? I bet not many games have those.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Wildlife doesn't have an argro area three miles wide. Let me put it this way: in traditional fantasy worlds dragons are constantly challenged by humans seeking gold, glory, or a trial to marry the local princess. The dragon strikes them down one by one, but over the years they keep coming until one day a lucky human kills the dragon.

In Skyrim, YOU are the dragon. The dragons are the dragonhunters, an unavoidable nuisance that constantly interrupt your daily life.
    They have a wide agro radius yes, but they won't chase you forever.

Personally I like the dragons but their AI is a bit weak and makes the fights kind of dull, dodge fire and keep slapping them with your sword or just keep shooting them with arrows.