Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    There is also a quest that gives you a permanent effect that increases Dwarven Armor effectiveness by 25% and makes smithing level 15% faster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gergin View Post
    Haven't finished the quest yet but they seem to me to more akin to paid assassins than criminal investigators.
    Spoilers.

They don't assassinate her. She turns out to be a traitor responsible for giving up military information to the Aldmeri dominion and effectively handing her city over to them. She's a noble in hiding. They're sent by the rest of the noble families to catch her and bring her to trial. When you hand her over, they paralyze her in order to ship her back to Hammerfell.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I've been using Archery quite a bit, along with smithing/stealth getting a few perks, because i didn't realise there was a soft cap. Tempted to roll again, but i might just try and focus in a bit more and make it a usable character, i'm attached to my wood elf, and he's the first TES character i've ever written a story in my head for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I'll get us started by saying that Destruction is pretty awesome. Each skill increase reduces the magicka cost of spells and allows you to get more charges from a Destruction-charged staff. The additional secondary effects for Fire, Ice, and Lightning magic are quite good. I'm curious about a few things though. Is there any reason to pick up the rune-enhancing perk if I don't use them? That is, is there a completion-bonus for getting every perk in the tree or a benefit to it that I don't see? Also, does anyone know if ice magic slows enemies down? It seems like it does, but it's inconsistent; maybe if they're low on stamina?
    Destruction is amazingly underpowered.

You're far better off playing as a dedicated warrior or thief, at least for weapon skills. Simply because you can get a metric shit tonne of stacking buffs that can put your damage per second into the 2.5k range.

Banned
    Yeah, the damage still is nowhere near comparable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    AoE damage has to count for something, though =)
    (not much good in a boss fight of course)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    AoE damage has to count for something, though =)
    Yeah, it's really usefull to kill or turn against you followers or other friendly people around you. In that regard, destruction is the best.

Activated Node
    AoE really isn't that useful, you harldy ever fight more than 2 or 3 bad guys at a time. And to get them to group up you usually have to stand still and wait for them to come at you by which time the first to arrive will probably have smacked you up some. Unless you run around jumping over the scenery while benny hill music plays. By the time you've lined up a decent shot a warrior could probably have knocked all their heads in, its unusable whenever friendlies are around as well.

I've come to the conclusion that Smithing and Enchanting are really all you need. You can create a kit that pretty much makes up for everything else.

Also, who needs followers? If you are going the destruction route it is almost a requirement that you go solo. You will kill everyone otherwise. Also, Double-fireball-stun-lock-of-death isn't under-powered.

My favorite oddity in the damage system is that, apparently, getting an iron arrow through the eye is a lot less damaging than a dwarven arrow through the eye, and only skilled marksman can kill someone with only one arrow of any type in their opponents eye. Unskilled marksman will need to hit their opponent in the eye 3 or 4 times to kill them.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jryan View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that Smithing and Enchanting are really all you need. You can create a kit that pretty much makes up for everything else..
    Pretty much, you can also exploit the hell out of the terribly balanced mechanics to create essentially infinitely good items. Enchant a set of items to help you enchant better and use them to enchant a better set of items to help you enchant better, repeat ad infinitum.

My favorite oddity in the damage system is that, apparently, getting an iron arrow through the eye is a lot less damaging than a dwarven arrow through the eye, and only skilled marksman can kill someone with only one arrow of any type in their opponents eye. Unskilled marksman will need to hit their opponent in the eye 3 or 4 times to kill them.
    Welcome to every RPG ever

Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    Pretty much, you can also exploit the hell out of the terribly balanced mechanics to create essentially infinitely good items. Enchant a set of items to help you enchant better and use them to enchant a better set of items to help you enchant better, repeat ad infinitum.
    You are cleverly limited by how long you can stand to press that confirmation dialog "Are you sure you want to craft this?"
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Ah, so it works like alchemy did in Morrowind?

So, in theory, you can make the super most awesome enchanting outfit, and then make the super most awesome blacksmithing outfit and then make super armor and super weapon to which you can apply super enchant?

I know what I am doing tonight!

If you go orc you get +5 to both enchanting and smithing. Acquire an iron ingot, a leather strip, a petty soul gem and a minor magic item to disenchant. Then go nuts.
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Is there a fortify enchanting enchant though? I know you can bounce back and fourth between enchanting alchemy gear and making enchanting potions but I haven't seen an enchant for making you better at enchanting yet.

So, in theory, you can make the super most awesome enchanting outfit, and then make the super most awesome blacksmithing outfit and then make super armor and super weapon to which you can apply super enchant?

I know what I am doing tonight!
    I've rerolled as an Imperial merchant who punches things only when she has to -- with the goal of eventually making the best pair of punching gloves in Tamriel (via the Fortify Unarmed enchant). So far she's had to punch a few wolves and spriggans to get some soul gems, but most of her time is spent within city walls where it's safe and where she can become fabulously wealthy, which is her secondary and more immediate goal. The wilderness is just uncomfortable compared to a nook with a nice crafting table.

I highly recommend trying to make the crafty stuff self-sufficient, when you get tired of making a living from ADVENTURE.

As I was browsing the various skill trees I saw that Heavy Armor perk (Fists of Steel) that adds your gauntlet armor score to your hand-to-hand damage. I can see where, with the proper smithing skill, and Heavy Armor, you could make a pair of daedric gauntlets that could punch a hole through the world.
    Last edited by jryan; 22-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Obscure Node
    I'm rolling a new character after realizing that everybody and their made a two handed heavy armor wearing barbarian.

The premise is that I can never directly harm anyone or anything. This means a lot of illusion magic to make enemies kill each other and conjuring creatures for when there's only one enemy. Should be interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gergin View Post
    The premise is that I can never directly harm anyone or anything. This means a lot of illusion magic to make enemies kill each other and conjuring creatures for when there's only one enemy. Should be interesting to say the least.
    Why that sounds lovely! How about pickpocketing poisons onto people to harm them? Is that fair game?