Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

I Completed A Game!

I completed Tomb Raider Underworld today...that is all.

Did i fool you?

I'm not going to add anything else you know.

You should really stop reading now.

Ok Ok I have a point.

That I think is the first game i completed this year if memory serves me, I've been playing many games, and some of them don't have end points so they don't count. But the other games i have played do have end ponts and i haven't even gotten to the end of those, the one I've come close to is Trine but I haven''t completed it yet because i seem to have stopped playing. The last game i completed was last year, that was Mafia 2.

Is that a bad thing, or is it a sign that there are just to many games out there at to cheap of prices. The steam sale is where half finished games go abandoned so you complete half of the next game and the cycle continues. This didn't used to be the case back when i was a lad, I didn't have these deluge of games and I focused the ones I did have into completing them. I think i completed most of them, and some of them were large RPGs!

What I'm saying is completing a game is a very rare thing. I think that is probably why games are getting shorter these days, i mean Mafia 2 and Tomb Raider Underworld are about 8-10 hour experiences, with very easy drop off points. I don't know whether its a good thing that we are playing more and more games but maybe not completing a whole load of them.

Hrmmm... actually I have to admit roughly the same thing. Can't really name the games I've completed this year; granted, Minecraft has taken a lot of time, and you're never truly "done". But also combine that with Steam sales (creating a large pool of titles), 2 young children, a full-time job, school at night, and the construction of a lovely patio, I just don't have the time to devote to 1 single title for that long.

Dammit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just completed Arcanum last week! But I don't know if I will feel like I have "completed" it until I replay it again as either evil, or stupid.

I also finished Recettear in that I paid off the loan, but I didn't get all the heroes or anything.

These are the only two games I can remember "beating" -- and I don't remember the last time I *completed* a game (like 100%'d it). I don't think it's a bad thing, but sometimes it's a vaguely sad one. =P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I completed World of Warcraft. /sagenod

On a more serious note, this past year I've beat every single-player campaign in every RTS and FPS I laid hands on. RPGs are about half-and-half. Yes to ME2 and Witcher 2; no to Divinity 2 and DA2 (that's a lot of 2s).
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Well, I can't remember the last time I completed a game (and I used to be a serious completionist) but this year I've beaten Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed 2, The Ball, Limbo and the original Professor Layton. Which only leaves, oh, all of this

*cries*

This is the summer I'm going to beat Mass Effect, though. It's been my summer goal ever since I bought the damn game, when it launched.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    This year, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Defense Grid (well, played through the campaign), Crysis 2, RF Armageddon (twice), Machinarium ... um, and maybe not anything else (four months of constant Minecraft did mean I didn't play anything else in that time).

I also used to finish nearly all games I started when I was younger. Not really sure what changed, except for the past three years (hard to find time and to get immersed due to constant interruptions).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It’s your money. I think if a game isn’t holding your attention then that’s probably its own fault, but perhaps modern games have instilled the desire for instant gratification rather than the long term rewards. Hell, maybe you’ve just growing up and have gone through enough games to grow bored of something you’ve already played 15-20 years ago.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I made a real conscious effort this year to catch up with my games. At the start, I had Alan Wake (yawn), Read Dead Redemption (okay) and Assassin's Creed 2 (good) on the 360 all to do. By the end of February, I had them all done. Was rather chuffed with that little achievement.

Of course thanks to Steam and PC Gaming, I now have a backlog of 12 games. Crysis/Warhead, Fear 1 (+ 2 x-packs), Fear 2, VVVVVV, Dead Space 2, DoW 2/Chaos Rising all bit the dust relatively quickly, but I'm working through STALKER now (with Minecraft and the BF3 alpha at the side).

It takes a real conscious effort to really sit down and go through them, but once you do you usually reach the point where you want to continue anyhow.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Never beat STALKER:CoP, despite putting some 40-odd hours into it. Got as far as Pripyat. Was too worried about losing all my buddies to keep playing.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    2 young children, a full-time job, school at night, and the construction of a lovely patio, I just don't have the time to devote to 1 single title for that long.
    Usually this is me except I'm a student and have to work all the time(don't believe the propaganda!) so really don't get much time to play games, and for some reason after i work a lot playing a game is the last thing on my mind and usually like to unwind with a TV show or a film.

but perhaps modern games have instilled the desire for instant gratification rather than the long term rewards.
    Not just that but my willingness to continue to play a game I'm stuck on completely has gone down. Like with Tomb Raider there was a lot of times i was stuck and about 5 minutes of being stuck I was on a FAQ. I don't even think its modern games, Film, music, TV all those basically have become a bit more quicker and flashier and it gets to a point where something that is slow you kind of dislike.

I really can't buy long RPGs anymore because I know i won't have enough time to play through it. Which definitely is sad because that was my favourite genre when i was a kid :(

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I've got a good number of titles to finish, including some timesinks like DA:O, Borderlands and Stalker SoC. I finished VVVVVV, Machinarium, Zeno Clash, Starcraft 2, Portal 2 and a few others this year, though. I so truly wish there was an extra 6-8 hours per day. 3-4 additional hours each for sleep and relaxation/catching up on things time.
    Last edited by squareking; 29-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    im almost done with terraria.

just need ivy whip and to kill king slime. got the best swords, visited dungeon, mined hellstone and meteor, visited sky islands.

underworld is frigging boring. there is nothing worthwhile there to do except to mine hellstone.

and i finished me1 second time and me2 first time this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I just finished minecraft it was awesome, why are more people not talking about that boss?

More seriously I have been on a "finish it" kick, the only game to break me recently (6 months ago?)was dragon age with the dwarfish noble beginning, pooing boring as poo deep roads. Everything else i haven't finished* i'm still sampling to completion, I admit that Ass creed 2 is taking up so much of my time I'm making little progress in other games, but the intention is there.

*apart from games that are rubbish and i have no intention of finishing.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Usually this is me except I'm a student and have to work all the time(don't believe the propaganda!) so really don't get much time to play games, and for some reason after i work a lot playing a game is the last thing on my mind and usually like to unwind with a TV show or a film.

Not just that but my willingness to continue to play a game I'm stuck on completely has gone down. Like with Tomb Raider there was a lot of times i was stuck and about 5 minutes of being stuck I was on a FAQ. I don't even think its modern games, Film, music, TV all those basically have become a bit more quicker and flashier and it gets to a point where something that is slow you kind of dislike.

I really can't buy long RPGs anymore because I know i won't have enough time to play through it. Which definitely is sad because that was my favourite genre when i was a kid :(
    If you really wanted to play an RPG couldn't you set aside an hour a day for one? You could be playing it for a year :) I don't really play too much right now and I'll be playing less in September but the last game I played through was Portal 2, something I was really looking forward to. If I was playing it at a point when I didn't have any time I wouldn't mind so much about FAQs.

I started a backloggery after the Steam summer sale. Keeping it up to date has helped to keep me focused on games long enough to actually finish them. Yesterday I finished Dreamfall, and the day before that I beat Who's That Flying. Now I'm working on FUEL, Cthulu Saves The World, and Alpha Protocol.

Backloggery link in my signature.

I've completed three games this year (Portal 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2), which is three more than I have done in the past, I dunno, forever?

I know I finished a Borderlands play through after release, and completed HL Ep2 and Portal 1*, but my gaming over the last few years has been dominated by EVE, WoW, WoT, LoL, LotRO and TF2. It's hard to complete games populated by teh internets.

I've currently got 12 games on my "Now Playing" list, but I guess the Mass Effects (still gotta do FemShep play throughs, and I want to do another ManShep playthrough on my original save) and Zuma's Revenge and Peggle don't really count** On my "Start from scratch list" is AvP 2010, STALKER SoC and CoP, GTA IV and the Max Payne games - the latter of which I beat on release. Which was a while ago, I admit.

Too many games, not enough time. Damn you work and other important responsibilities! DAMN YOU.

*2007? Christ.
    **My two-and-a-half year old loves Zuma. He calls it the bleh-bleh game. I don't know why., but it's dead cute.

Network Hub
    I've 61 games currently installed on my machine, most of them single player focused... and I haven't completed a single one. Yes, I am a terrible person.

I wasnt always like this! I used to always finish one game before starting another. Now that I'm older however, and have a deadly combination of money to spent, steam sales, and not enough free time my backlog has gotten stupid big :(

I've always been bad at finishing games. Over the years there have been countless games that I've got 2/3rds through then stopped, and never gone back. Not really sure why.

The last games that I can remember completing (main campaigns anyway) are Portal and Just Cause 2. One of my kids recently completed Jolly Rover and Puzzle Agent, so she is better at completing than me (she's also done several DS games in the past 6 months).

One of the reasons I don't finish games is because games of all types LOVE to just totally change the...hm, the atmosphere? sometimes more than that...at the last level. I know it's for a dramatic shift, but sometimes I really hate having to leave the whole world behind and enter some dark and spooky alien landscape in order to kill the final boss. And so when I know I am approaching "The Void" (I call it that because Arcanum is the game that made me realize that tons of games do this) in a game, it's hard to keep going. It's more than the alien landscape though, it's also a point of no return where I know I am leaving tons of sidequests behind. TES games do the atmosphere thing but at least they let me go back and finish my sidequests!

Examples of the change to a barren unfamiliar waste, sometimes that you can't return from until you finish it:

Half-life -- Xen
    Arcanum -- The Void
    Final Fantasy 6/7/8/9 -- That Floating Island, That Volcano, That Floating Ship, That Alien World
    Betrayal at Krondor -- Whatever that other world with the crystallized mana was called

I know there are more examples of Xen-syndrome, but these are off the top of my head and I definitely had to work to finish the ones of these that I did finish...because I knew the void would be there, in a big, flashy, this-is-our-last-level-guys-so-lets-leave-everything-about-our-existing-game-world-behind-and-make-something-crazy! I appreciate their motivations, but I guess I am just not a big fan of this (hard to articulate) type of self-consciously Final Level.

Yesterday I finished Dreamfall
    *pats shoulder* There there, I know what that's like. If you ever need someone to talk through your disappointments with, I'm here.