Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936

    Terribly Moderated Forums / Your Worst Forum Experiences

    What is the most poorly moderated forums you've came across? What's the worst experience you've had of forum moderation?

    I think this'll be a useful way of warning people away from "issue" forums.

    The thing that's sparked this thread off is a run in with the MMORPG.com forum moderators. For those of you that don't know, MMORPG.com is the biggest MMO review / forum site on the 'net, essentially. It is, quite literally, massively online. :p I ended up starting up the Steam group etc, before getting tired of being the lone moderator of the group and so handed it off to someone else and left.

    MMORPG.com's forum moderators are unpaid volunteers, usually promoted from forum members with good post counts and records. They're usually placed in charge of the forum they most posted on (meaning fans of games get to moderate those same forums), leading to some heavy bias towards certain viewpoints / users.

    Just yesterday, I posted an effective summary of the current EA controversy. Within a few moments, people were there posting the usual EA / Bioware fanboy bullstuff that you see on these forums. I was able to effectively ignore it until someone basically said that I and RPS were liars. This user regularly posts stuff that would get anyone else permanently banned from the forums, and only his veterancy and (I assume) friendship with moderators keeps him from getting banned.

    I told him to read the articles instead of posting his ignorant opinion. This post was deleted and I got an instant warning for "trolling" (which isn't at all true, since it'd be flaming, but whatever). On the next page he posted, essentially, exactly the same thing, except now he was being pedantic and saying that you couldn't get banned from the BioWare forums for saying e-peen. He'd obviously gave the articles a cursory glance and then chose to post his usual bullshit.

    I replied along the lines of, "Wow, well done on completely ignoring the point and still posting. I'm genuinely impressed with you" and got instantly banned.

    The thing with the MMORPG.com forums isn't that they've got terrible moderation that I'd expect of a teeny tiny forum with hair trigger bans over moderator's opinions. It's the fact they've got that terrible moderation and applied it to a massive forum. This site where thousands of people post per day has some of the worst moderation I've ever seen, and it never fails to amaze me the site is still alive despite this.

    What about you all? Do you have stories of nepotism and naughtiness? Moderators banning you for being grammatically incorrect? Did you use a ~ and someone instantly called you a weeaboo and got banned for it? Come on, I know you ALL have these stories.

  2. #2
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    First of all, I replied already but the forums spazzed and it was deleted.

    Secondly, this doesnt belong here, should be in offtopic or rps forum discussion thing.

    Thirdly, I take things like this with a grain of salt, especially coming from you, R-F, as you were tempbanned only a couple of months ago for good reason. You cant let go of something, and generally reply in a headstrong and silly manner in case someone doesnt want to see your point of view.

    Fourthly, my "warning" experience was at REDuser.net, a digital cinema camera brand user site, where I sparked a flame war because in my post to offer my services as a Digital Imaging Technician (look it up), I asked if anyone had bad experiences like one I heard of. Apparently it wasnt long enough ago, and the people that were "accused" of the things that the story said (wasnt really accusatory) started flaming against some company, which then the supporters of replied, anyhow it was ugly, I had it deleted because I dont care for flame wars against anyone.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Secondly, this doesnt belong here, should be in offtopic or rps forum discussion thing.
    There's far more tenuous things here.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Thirdly, I take things like this with a grain of salt, especially coming from you, R-F, as you were tempbanned only a couple of months ago for good reason. You cant let go of something, and generally reply in a headstrong and silly manner in case someone doesnt want to see your point of view.
    The thread's still there, if you want to read it. Read it and wonder what I'd have to say to get legitimately banned.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,227
    Some of those commenters have apparently never heard of consumer laws because they flat out say "if you sign a virtual contract, you must abide by it." Utter rubbish of course. But more frightening is the general acceptance that there are Syndicate style gaming companies amongst us who have the power of a government.

    I've been pretty lucky on forums. There's been the odd ban for repeating 'gay' (we were having a discussion on sexuality) and the moderator decided the word itself was taboo rather than the context it was used in.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Some of those commenters have apparently never heard of consumer laws because they flat out say "if you sign a virtual contract, you must abide by it." Utter rubbish of course. But more frightening is the general acceptance that there are Syndicate style gaming companies amongst us who have the power of a government.
    Yeah, it fucking terrifies me completely. I'm just a bit glad most of them seem to be American.

  6. #6
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Yeah, it fucking terrifies me completely. I'm just a bit glad most of them seem to be American.
    Why does that make you glad? because theyre not near you or what? (just to clarify we're not going for nationalism here :D)

    Also, I didnt check out the thread because your question was if we had experiences like the one you described, not if they are really stupid or not. I just wanted to point out my feeling towards the topic as I thought it was relevant.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Why does that make you glad? because theyre not near you or what? (just to clarify we're not going for nationalism here :D)

    Also, I didnt check out the thread because your question was if we had experiences like the one you described, not if they are really stupid or not. I just wanted to point out my feeling towards the topic as I thought it was relevant.
    Because if they were English then it'd be much more likely that my rights are going to be lost. I couldn't care less about America.

  8. #8
    ...*sniff*...and I could care less about GB! *runs off crying*

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    All of the forums that I've been banned from are terribly and overzealously moderated. It's the impulse to power, I guess.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,607
    The Steam forums are an absolute nightmare. I also find RPGCodex to be so, to a slightly lesser degree.

    Edit - I suppose I should clarify. The Steam forums shit status should be obvious to any who has visited, RPGCodex's not least because of moderators openly bragging about pirating games that they then slag off. Classy, that.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 20-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I also find RPGCodex to be so, to a slightly lesser degree.
    Why?

    10char

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Why?

    10char
    See above.

    Although, now that I think about it more, I believe it was a writer for the site in the specific case I am thinking of, as it was in an RSS feed that I read about the brazen piracy, not a forum moderator as I said. Although my experiences in the forums were largely as described by Unaco. "As above, so below" as the saying goes.

  13. #13
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Why?

    10char
    The amount of casual racism, sexism, homophobia and antisemitism found in an average RPG Codex thread is, quite frankly, terrifying. They seem to hate everything and have to loudly proclaim so, mostly by using insults that involve the things stated above. Anyone trying to make money is a jew, everyone who's not as harcore as they percieve themselves to be is a fag or gay, etc.. And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    The amount of casual racism, sexism, homophobia and antisemitism found in an average RPG Codex thread is, quite frankly, terrifying. They seem to hate everything and have to loudly proclaim so, mostly by using insults that involve the things stated above. Anyone trying to make money is a jew, everyone who's not as harcore as they percieve themselves to be is a fag or gay, etc.. And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.
    Of course the moderators do nothing about it. Free speech is an important part of the culture over there. Moderators only ever really punish spammers. People may be racist or homophobic, but the forum is made up of a wide range of people including a sizeable transsexual contingent.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    ... but the forum is made up of a wide range of people including a sizeable transsexual contingent.
    Wow.

    tenasintenasintenchars

  16. #16
    Lesser Hivemind Node Keep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Library Bar
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Free speech is an important part of the culture over there.
    Go over there and make a contrarian statement. Not a rude one, just an unusual one. See what response you'll get. I don't think it'll be one that'll display a culture of free speech.

    So you can say "Jew" or "Fag". So what? It's baby-talk to equate that with free speech. Free speech isn't about "I can express what words I like". Free speech is about "I can express what IDEAS I like".

    The type of speech you're defending is a sham of freedom. It promotes intolerance of ideas behind a claim of being tolerant of words. What the words are promoting moreover, is an even further intolerance of other ideas.

    "Free speech is an important part of the culture". You really believe that?

  17. #17
    Obscure Node Jaesun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.
    As one of the openly Gay Male moderators of the Codex, I don't have a problem with it. They are just words. And given our "free speech" stance, derogatory comments are just going to be the norm, the general public is just that way.

    What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there. While they are few and far between (and you would have to actually search for them), people just look at one or 2 threads inhabited by spammers and people using derogatory remarks and think that is all we do.

  18. #18
    Obscure Node Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Another disgruntled Codexer here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
    What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there. While they are few and far between (and you would have to actually search for them), people just look at one or 2 threads inhabited by spammers and people using derogatory remarks and think that is all we do.
    It's not even that, though. If you were to look at the first 15 thread on the RPG Discussion subforum right now, you'd see, among others, 4 threads discussing the gameplay/story/questing of Skyrim, a game that has been surprisingly well-received on the Codex, a thread discussing Skyrim modding, a thread about Ultima 5, a thread praising the DaggerXL project (look it up; great stuff), a thread about the Matt Chat Youtube show/series thing that is quite well liked on the Codex etc. I won't deny that there's not anti-semitic talk in a thread about Richard Garriot (though in that particular case it seems to be played for laughs), or that the Skyrim threads have quite a bit of insult hurling (mostly by an infamous poster known as Skyway). But the point is that while the site may be uncensored, it still has a ton of decent discussion. Hell, at it's best, the Codex is probably one of the best places on the internet to actually deeply discuss game-design, the RPG genre, the industry etc. Look no further than the Codex Workshop subforum, which is full of interesting design-talk and mod/indie projects.

    That being said, keep out of General Discussion, which is populated by trolls, alts and drama queens. That one subforum is pretty much responsible for 90% of the bad rep for the Codex. It's like judging all of 4chan by /b/ and /v/.
    Last edited by Peter; 20-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
    What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there.
    If you have to tell us how not-shit you are, perhaps you may want to reconsider your policy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #20
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    187
    Steam
    mmorpg.com
    gamespot

    Gone through hundreds of accounts on them sites before I gave up going to them. You get banned from Steam for even mentioning the world Piracy, you cannot even discuss it and how to prevent it. mmorpg.com you get banned if someone reports you for not liking your post, I recently mentioned how SWTOR will be such a massive failure because it doesn't feel like an MMO and got banned. Gamespot you just get banned for not making your content PG.......

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •