Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41
    Obscure Node Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Another disgruntled Codexer here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
    What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there. While they are few and far between (and you would have to actually search for them), people just look at one or 2 threads inhabited by spammers and people using derogatory remarks and think that is all we do.
    It's not even that, though. If you were to look at the first 15 thread on the RPG Discussion subforum right now, you'd see, among others, 4 threads discussing the gameplay/story/questing of Skyrim, a game that has been surprisingly well-received on the Codex, a thread discussing Skyrim modding, a thread about Ultima 5, a thread praising the DaggerXL project (look it up; great stuff), a thread about the Matt Chat Youtube show/series thing that is quite well liked on the Codex etc. I won't deny that there's not anti-semitic talk in a thread about Richard Garriot (though in that particular case it seems to be played for laughs), or that the Skyrim threads have quite a bit of insult hurling (mostly by an infamous poster known as Skyway). But the point is that while the site may be uncensored, it still has a ton of decent discussion. Hell, at it's best, the Codex is probably one of the best places on the internet to actually deeply discuss game-design, the RPG genre, the industry etc. Look no further than the Codex Workshop subforum, which is full of interesting design-talk and mod/indie projects.

    That being said, keep out of General Discussion, which is populated by trolls, alts and drama queens. That one subforum is pretty much responsible for 90% of the bad rep for the Codex. It's like judging all of 4chan by /b/ and /v/.
    Last edited by Peter; 20-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
    What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there.
    If you have to tell us how not-shit you are, perhaps you may want to reconsider your policy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #43
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you have to tell us how not-shit you are, perhaps you may want to reconsider your policy.
    He has to tell you how not shit they are because you seem to have reading comprehension problems.

    How could I accidentally end up on the forum by googling a bug on Anachronox, lurk some more and like the forum enough to register? You're cherry picking and being close minded, the same thing you're accusing the codexers of. Irony is a beautiful thing, innit?

  4. #44
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    There was a time, when saying that yo don't believe in the imaginary guy in the sky could get you burned at the stake. There were times where saying that, just maybe, it would be nice if you didn't have to starve, would land you in the prison. There were times when criticising those in power would make you disappear forever. And there are enough places in the world, where exactly his is happening right now.

    All across the ages and all across the world, people have fought for their rights and the rights of their fellow human beeings to express their ideas without the fear of retribution from those in power. They've fought, they've been imprisoned, tortured and killed for doing so. They fought for free speech.

    If they had known that the freedom they fought for through their struggles and their pain would now be used by a bunch of immature sociopaths to defend their own right to hurl any kind of hate speech in the direction of everyone and everything they don't agree with, I think they would have thought twice before sacrificing themselves for their beliefs.
    Yes but there was a time where you would get crucified for believing in "that imaginary man in the sky", and sadly, the people that did that, didnt do a good enough job, and now we're stuck with this mess.

    damn terrorists.

    Quote Originally Posted by thesoup View Post
    He has to tell you how not shit they are because you seem to have reading comprehension problems.

    How could I accidentally end up on the forum by googling a bug on Anachronox, lurk some more and like the forum enough to register? You're cherry picking and being close minded, the same thing you're accusing the codexers of. Irony is a beautiful thing, innit?
    Also, one post person complaining about nalano having reading comp problems, is just outright silly. We've been down that path, it just wont stick to anything. Come up with better additions to a thread, if your only purpose is to reg and post once.

    For one, I dont like or dislike the codex, I just dont bother because Im not interested. Ive been on several forums before, and I tend to go all in. RPS is pretty neat, so far, and its lasted this long because I manage to stay invested, and separate at the same time.

    PS: also, its the most general forum Ive ever been on.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 20-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  5. #45
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoup View Post
    He has to tell you how not shit they are because you seem to have reading comprehension problems.

    How could I accidentally end up on the forum by googling a bug on Anachronox, lurk some more and like the forum enough to register? You're cherry picking and being close minded, the same thing you're accusing the codexers of. Irony is a beautiful thing, innit?
    You mean how you're flooding our forum with your fail, because you're so butthurt you can't stand any modicum of criticism?

    Well then, let me explain it to you in terms you might understand.

    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  6. #46
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    Irony seems to strike frequently here because the only one butthurt and incapable of handling criticism is you. Read your post again and you might detect some decent butthurt. Then again, I don't expect something like that from you. Let's just say you're dyslexic and give you a pass.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoup View Post
    Irony seems to strike frequently here because the only one butthurt and incapable of handling criticism is you. Read your post again and you might detect some decent butthurt. Then again, I don't expect something like that from you. Let's just say you're dyslexic and give you a pass.
    A typical codexer comes in and proves why people hate that shitty site.

    EDIT: I do find it funny how his post boiled down to "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!"

  8. #48
    Obscure Node Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    A typical codexer comes in and proves why people hate that shitty site.
    Because Nalano's posts on this page, especially the second one, were so much better, right?

    You guys sure are wonderful compared to us vile Codexers.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Because Nalano's posts on this page, especially the second one, were so much better, right?

    You guys sure are wonderful compared to us vile Codexers.
    It's sure a great idea to come to another forum and crow about how great your forum is and how it isn't like anyone says...

    And then insult one of the regulars!

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,548
    I can't believe this shit started again.

  11. #51
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,992
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    It's sure a great idea to come to another forum and crow about how great your forum is and how it isn't like anyone says...

    And then insult one of the regulars!
    They actually did that in reverse. However, I think this thread got out of hand. Dont bother.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  12. #52
    Obscure Node Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    It's sure a great idea to come to another forum and crow about how great your forum is and how it isn't like anyone says...

    And then insult one of the regulars!
    Following in Nalano's footsteps by avoiding the point I made and instead starting to insult people who have, thus far, been trying to break some stereotypes in a completely civil manner, after the forum they frequent has been insulted for 2 pages straight? Good show.

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    781
    What the heck is this? Forum wars? Also how is this thread not off-topic since its inception?

  14. #54
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Following in Nalano's footsteps by avoiding the point I made and instead starting to insult people who have, thus far, been trying to break some stereotypes in a completely civil manner, after the forum they frequent has been insulted for 2 pages straight? Good show.
    Why bother? We can call your forum as shit as we want to! You can still have your good or bad stuffs with or without us. The practice of "regging especially to react" is simply silly. There is no long term value in your staying here, and most that just reg to react go soon anyway. A waste of time and space. Im just replying to make this thread go silent or away.

    Also, Ive been saying this is the wrong forum for this silliness.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hell, at it's best, the Codex is probably one of the best places on the internet to actually deeply discuss game-design, the RPG genre, the industry etc. Look no further than the Codex Workshop subforum, which is full of interesting design-talk and mod/indie projects.
    Everyone thinks they're part of the best forum. The only difference between us is I just happen to be right.

  16. #56
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    185
    Steam
    mmorpg.com
    gamespot

    Gone through hundreds of accounts on them sites before I gave up going to them. You get banned from Steam for even mentioning the world Piracy, you cannot even discuss it and how to prevent it. mmorpg.com you get banned if someone reports you for not liking your post, I recently mentioned how SWTOR will be such a massive failure because it doesn't feel like an MMO and got banned. Gamespot you just get banned for not making your content PG.......

  17. #57
    Obscure Node Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Why bother? We can call your forum as shit as we want to! You can still have your good or bad stuffs with or without us.
    The RPS consensus on the Codex doesn't matter much, yes, but you must understand that it is incredibly annoying to be called a neo-nazi spawn of Satan by most of the internet for frequenting a website that is, for the most part, completely normal. I don't know about the other Codexers who registered to respond to this thread, but I personally came here because I thought the RPS community, unlike many others, would be intelligent enough to actually discuss things and try to at least look at things from our perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar
    Everyone thinks they're part of the best forum. The only difference between us is I just happen to be right.
    There's some truth in that, but of all the gaming forums I've seen online, RPGCodex really is one of the most analytical and one that values great game-design. Let's put it this way: on most forums there's be a post saying "I like/don't like this game because of [feature]", whereas a post on RPGCodex oftentimes looks more like: "This is why [feature] works/doesn't work and that's why I like/don't like this game. Discuss!!!"

    I won't insult your intelligence by responding to that second sentence.

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    My God, this thread. Definitely.
    Called it so hard it hurts, forum wars are the only thing more flammable than talk of Derrick Smart.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  19. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The RPS consensus on the Codex doesn't matter much, yes, but you must understand that it is incredibly annoying to be called a neo-nazi spawn of Satan by most of the internet for frequenting a website that is, for the most part, completely normal. I don't know about the other Codexers who registered to respond to this thread, but I personally came here because I thought the RPS community, unlike many others, would be intelligent enough to actually discuss things and try to at least look at things from our perspective.



    There's some truth in that, but of all the gaming forums I've seen online, RPGCodex really is one of the most analytical and one that values great game-design. Let's put it this way: on most forums there's be a post saying "I like/don't like this game because of [feature]", whereas a post on RPGCodex oftentimes looks more like: "This is why [feature] works/doesn't work and that's why I like/don't like this game. Discuss!!!"
    From what I can tell, SomethingAwful regularly takes the piss out of Codex in the Grognards thread. I've been banned from there recently (for very good reasons, actually). You should see the posts they can find. Some are hysterical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I won't insult your intelligence by responding to that second sentence.
    No, but I can presume your's from this.

  20. #60
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    No, but I can presume your's from this.
    =)

    10char

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •