This Gaming Life

So who's read it? And, err, how good is it? Come now, speak freely, Mr. Rossignol is a big boy now!

I ask because I'm interested, for obvious reasons, but the price is just a little out of my comfort zone.

On a distantly related note, have the RPS peoples given any thought to producing a 'best of RPS' book? I'd buy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I read the free eBook version during two extremely quiet days at work a couple of months ago and it was very engaging. The way it's framed works well and you get stories on gaming from some very different perspectives (found the stuff about how games are played in SE Asia a bit of an eye-opener, I'd never quite clicked on to why those kinds of Korean MMO's were so popular).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's good - isn't it now available to read online for free? - Yes it is: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.5682627.0001.001

I read it (the paperback version) some time ago and found it to be quite entertaining. I agree with Jockie that the chapters on Seoul were very interesting. Definitely worth the purchase, I would say. The parts about emergent gameplay are something many game designers should have a look (or two) at.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's good - isn't it now available to read online for free? - Yes it is: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.5682627.0001.001
    But ... I don't like reading e-books. At least not on anything I currently have to read them on. Still, I guess I can check it out a bit. Thanks!

Yeah, I did read it and it's quite good.

I agree too that my favourite part was the Seoul chapter.

It's gaming writing from an RPS writer. You know the caliber of writer here, so you should be able to judge for yourself.

It captures what gaming is for a non-gaming audience. For a gaming audience though (ie. me) it results in a lot of head-nodding and sage agreement.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    It's gaming writing from an RPS writer. You know the caliber of writer here, so you should be able to judge for yourself.

It captures what gaming is for a non-gaming audience. For a gaming audience though (ie. me) it results in a lot of head-nodding and sage agreement.
    This ^ ^
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    But ... I don't like reading e-books.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    It still matters wot the writing is actually about and how well it addresses its subject. I do of course appreciate the writing here, but I don't read every story on the site and the writers aren't always at the top of their game. Even Kieron Gillen -- may his soul rest in peace -- turned out less-than-stellar material on occasion.

Or maybe I'll just wait for Amazon to release the Kindle Touch for shipping to Australia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Rii;59955]Kieron Gillen -- may his soul rest in peace{/quote]

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Or maybe I'll just wait for Amazon to release the Kindle Touch for shipping to Australia.

...Actually what you need is one of these: http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/...-book-machine/
    ...and for Jim's book to be on it. >_>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Berzee; 21-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.

I read it in 2010 when we went on a small shopping holiday. I started reading it on day 1 and was finished with it by day 4, our last day. It's a great book and one that basically celebrates how great it is to be a gamer. Jim talks about his own experiences and whilst mine were very different I could relate to everything he was writing about.

It's definetly a great book and I suspect it's a book designed to help none gamers understand why gamers are what they are. I suggest you all go and buy it.