Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max

Mad Max

Musical accompaniment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

Anticipation? Disinterest? Dread?

Inane babble forthcoming.

In my self-assigned position as Chairman of the Uncertain MM Pre-Orderer's Club (UMMPOC), I'd like to know what (if anything) others are thinking about this imminently released title.

As the rest of the world appears to be warming up for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain while I only just fought 'The Pain' in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater last night, I won't be joining their festivities for some time. Peace Walker and 4 yet wait, and I should play some more Ground Zeroes/Acquire Revengeance, too. Oh dear. This leaves me with a whimsically nabbed discounted pre-order on Mad Max to excite myself over, in the PC-meantime.

Key registered with Steam, pre-load now complete, I'm still experiencing foolish misgivings about this investment, despite paying only half its conventional RRP.

With my heart still thudding to the beat of the Doof Wagon (http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.c..._doofwagon.jpg), after three cinema visits ground Fury Road's code into my very DNA... how can the sillies who gave us the infinite parachute and grapple-chute technique of Just Cause's campy, hollow playgrounds match up to that?

Well, obviously they can't. That much is clear from the gameplay videos. This does not look like a special game, a soulful game, by any stretch of the imagination. Then again, Shadow of Mordor looked just as derivative (and from precisely the same sources of 'inspiration'), and that turned out rather well...

Then again, they weren't attempting to match up to the film - the game was originally intended as a wholly independent endeavor, and remains confused about how much of a connection it actually has. Relatively recent developer statements schizophrenically slip between pointing out shoehorned plot-links and muttering about the total absence of connection.

How best to divorce hope, let alone expectation, from Mad Max: Fury Road's awkward, adopted neice? This bastard-game, with its movie-references hastily mashed under the bonnet at the last minute, this sudden manifestation of the Big Bad being 'Immortan Joe's Psychotic Son', this subtle shift to the foes being termed 'War Boys' to establish some kind of connection? A project that won't declare its own involvement with the George Miller-involved Mad Max game of five years ago, only hinting nervously at some sort of relation.

CAN IT BE ANY GOOD? AM I GOING TO CRY?

What about you? Do you have any hope for this one, even as a simple playground?

That rambling mutant midget in the back-seat is going to be infuriating, isn't he? Having Celebrimbor in my head in Shadow of Mordor issuing grim ruminations upon the dark history of the realm was quite tolerable. Oracle and Joker warring in my earpiece in the Arkham games was entertaining, or at least informative.

But a Gollum-analogue named 'Chumbucket' with a sexual fixation upon car engines incessantly ranting in the back of my lovely car? Must he? I'll have to spend a lot of time walking, I think.

I wish he was a dog.

{Reserved for further ranting}

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkar View Post
    Musical accompaniment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

But a Gollum-analogue named 'Chumbucket' with a sexual fixation upon car engines incessantly ranting in the back of my lovely car? Must he? I'll have to spend a lot of time walking, I think.

{Reserved for further ranting}
    I find this acceptable as long as he has an actual bucket of chum.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    As someone who pretty much has zero interest in Mad Max (and, indeed, the whole post-apocalypse deal)this thing has somewhat slipped under my radar. Maybe it's because it's marketing is going out of its way to be as boring as possible, maybe it's because I found Just Cause 2 dreadfully dull - see one blatantly signposted destructible object explode, you've seen them all, and I never saw a reason to do anything beyond parachuting into a base with a helicopter gunship spawn and pointing and clicking on things until a progress bar filled up. Yawn.

So yeah, ambivalent, waiting to see what the reviews are like, probably not going to buy because by the time it goes on sale there'll be other games around that I have a far greater interest in.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I went for MGS V, but I am still interested in this. Among other things it looks as if even if it does share a lot of Just Cause 2's DNA, I might not mind so much - charging around an empty desert searching for random encounters seems potentially much more fun that Just Cause 2's generic tropical jungle. I thought the trailers made it look great, to be honest, like the game RAGE's vehicle sections ought to have been. But trailers are, well, trailers; I'd prefer to see some reviews/forum impressions first.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    For some reason I had thought it was an MMO and paid it absolutely no attention. If the car chases work out then colour me interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    I find this acceptable as long as he has an actual bucket of chum.
    Or is an actual bucket of chum.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I went for MGS V, but I am still interested in this. Among other things it looks as if even if it does share a lot of Just Cause 2's DNA, I might not mind so much - charging around an empty desert searching for random encounters seems potentially much more fun that Just Cause 2's generic tropical jungle. I thought the trailers made it look great, to be honest, like the game RAGE's vehicle sections ought to have been. But trailers are, well, trailers; I'd prefer to see some reviews/forum impressions first.
    Plenty of things about Just Cause 2 could be referred to as generic and dull, but to pick the lovingly rendered jungle as one of them seems mighty odd. Especially in comparison to largely empty desert.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Plenty of things about Just Cause 2 could be referred to as generic and dull, but to pick the lovingly rendered jungle as one of them seems mighty odd. Especially in comparison to largely empty desert.
    From everything I was told I assumed the jungle was going to be full of stuff, and that stuff was going to be constantly blowing up. This seemed a reasonable conclusion. It was not, or at least what I saw of it wasn't. It also looked pretty much like every other videogame jungle I'd ever seen. Mad Max's deserts, from the trailers, look absolutely gorgeous to me and far better than I've seen them done in pretty much any videogame to date. Again, they're trailers, it could just be wishful thinking, etc., etc. Still, that's how they struck me.

EDIT: Just watched the E3 2015 trailer again. Yup, still wary the story's going to be Hollywood-ised drivel, still not sure how well they're going to have cloned Arkham's combat or how the cars will actually feel to play, but from about one minute in most of the landscape shots still have my jaw on the floor. They make Fallout look like the creaking, geriatric tech it is.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 29-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

As the jungle contained no wildlife, no mud, no tangled undergrowth, no variety of flora, and enemies only ever drove on the roads or walked on the pavements unless alerted into running in a straight line toward you, I think it's fair to say Just Cause 2, for all its scale and beauty, was utterly mundane on the ground.

I appreciate the limited destructability of the world in terms of fences and the like, and the variety of structures you can destroy, but aside from being a stunningly repetitive game, and its world being very bland except when viewed from a passing stunt jet, the real sin was that the combat was abysmal. Slowly grinding down enemy healthbars with guns that have virtually no recoil, throwing grenades like confetti.

The vehicular combat/stunt jumps between moving vehicles was the crowning achievement of the game, but was painfully underutilised due to the lack of native multiplayer, and the lack of open-world activities in which chases could occur.

Only during scripted missions were the climbing functions of any use.

Overall, for all its bombastic silliness and impressive individual features Just Cause 2 did not come together into an entertaining game, I feel. It had good components and nothing holding them together, in a simulated world that felt lifeless, when compared to contemporaries like Red Faction: Guerrilla (still the most convincing and varied world simulation in a 'GTA-like', though rarely noticed past the explosions), or Red Dead Redemption.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    If you like Fury Road, you should grab the artbook, which is actually more of a making-of book. 26 dollars on Amazon for 180 pages of interesting behind-the-scenes info.

Screencaps from Game Informer's April re-reveal:

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkar View Post

Overall, for all its bombastic silliness and impressive individual features Just Cause 2 did not come together into an entertaining game, I feel. It had good components and nothing holding them together, in a simulated world that felt lifeless, when compared to contemporaries like Red Faction: Guerrilla (still the most convincing and varied world simulation in a 'GTA-like', though rarely noticed past the explosions), or Red Dead Redemption.
    I agree about the mechanics. But not about the jungle. It wasn't particularly high resolution, sure, but it was a seemless 3D version of a lovely panoramic vista. I can think of other games that have more mechanically simulationist environments, higher "resolution" environments and more of a narrativist sense of place or worldbuilding, but in a long list of video game jungles it seems really weird to single out Just Cause 2 as having a mundane jungle.

Wildlife, mud, forest trekkers, undergrowth--those seem like matters of a mechanical nature or a project scale nature. Oblivion had plenty of wildlife and roving bandits and that didn't make it's environments feel more distinct or it's vistas more engaging. I felt all the more disappointed with Just Cause 2 because it's geography felt like it would have stuff in it. Because it felt like mountains were mountainous, forests sprawling, mesas imposing, roads built by people measuring expediency of travel with expediency of construction in a sensible way gas stations (if implausibly plentiful) in the right spaces. But exploring that was, sure, mostly fruitless and empty. Still one of my favorite hunks of land in a game because I felt so invited to explore a geographic space. It's another side of the effect by which really effective world-building makes even a game with bland mechanics more intriguing--this came at the same sort of thing from a physical space for me as opposed to narrative. There was nothing to back it up, but the drive to explore was there because it felt like such a there.

It's like having a really, really fascinating map at the beginning of a dull, by-the-numbers fantasy novel. I'm still going to praise the cartographer.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 29-08-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Praise the Cartographer!

My word this text formatting is irritating. You make a good point, and.. blast, can't reply. Further words soon.
    Last edited by Jakkar; 30-08-2015 at 03:54 AM.

I think Mad Max will be good. Probably not great, but good. The vehicle combat is probably what's most appealing about it to me. Not many games do that well mechanically, and I think this one will.
    ~∆

Ultimately you' ll like roaming the desert more because all you do makes sense as long as you build stacks to upgrade your ride to explore, except the desert is supposed to be a desert, while building stacks in js2 is to malm someone between grapple stunts

Pre-load is complete, just waiting on dat release.
    ~∆

Perhaps if we drive, and drive, and keep driving, we'll find a magnetic firestorm, and burn that little bastard straight off the back of the car? Perhaps then there will be peace in the Plains of Silence? Perhaps if we kill all of them, we can have the true wasteland experience?

I hear something interesting about their map-borders; there aren't any. The gameworld itself, containing the plot content, is supposedly quite large, but outside it you don't simply meet an invisible wall, or giant sandworms - instead the simple desert terrain is procedurally generated unto nigh-infinity, as you make your final journey into the nowhere.

I like this notion. I do not imagine it would be very entertaining, but I like it.

The plot is supposedly as awful as you'd expect, and the missions reported as grindy and dull. Some say the driving is very boring, but I've always found it's the attitude you take with you that defines this.

I don't imagine there'll be fuel limitations. This saddens me.

EDIT: I think I may need STALKER in the desert. Or perhaps an even better reference would be The Void - with fuel and water rather than colour.

While we're talking Icepicks, it occurs to me that the camp strangeness of Pathologic is one of the better matches for the original Mad Max's surreal setting. The one before the end of the world, you know? Without the snarling children with razor sharp boomerangs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the fact that there are still no reviews, and the game releases tomorrow, is a pretty big warning that it's probably going to be fairly mediocre at best. If I were a gambling man, I'd put a wager that it's metacrtitic score will be about 60-65%. Which will be a real shame as I've been looking forward to it since it was originally announced.

Yeah I'm wait for a review too. Looks kind of like a post apoc Far Cry 2. The whole driving around thing and surveying the landscape, spotting convoys etc looks very appealing. Although can't say I'm too keen on the prospect of lots of Batman style fisty cuffs.

Also does it have first person driving and can I use a wheel?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Yes on the FP driving, no idea if it supports a wheel. It doesn't strike me as the driving sim type, so I doubt it. I do like the idea of being able to drive around a desert and randomly attack people, and MM does seem like basically Black Flag with cars instead of pirate ships, which does appeal to me a lot. Waiting for a review/squirty play/WTF Is..., but it does look pretty neat. The fact that I hated the other Avalanche game everyone's heard of makes me a bit apprehensive, but we'll see once everyone remembers this thing exists in the wake of MGSV.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    I think the fact that there are still no reviews, and the game releases tomorrow, is a pretty big warning that it's probably going to be fairly mediocre at best. If I were a gambling man, I'd put a wager that it's metacrtitic score will be about 60-65%. Which will be a real shame as I've been looking forward to it since it was originally announced.
    Why would you assume that? Early reviews are often the most biased in one way or another.
    ~∆