Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

Rocket League -- buy it

I'm surprised there's no thread yet, this game deserves serious attention.

I bought this on a lark seeing it on the top sellers list -- this game is seriously amazing, no interest in soccer/football or racing needed. It has that raw Super Smash Broesish crack-like gaming goodness that few games have. Easy to learn but an obviously ludicrously high skill ceiling, physics and controls are awesome. Highly recommend this to basically any type of gamer.

I would put in the same league as Tribes 2 easily in terms of the sheer about of insane acrobatics you can pull off . Actually I'd put it above it, though obviously it lacks the shooting aspect. In a game I was in about 15 minutes ago the ball was coming straight down basically mid field, so a teammate manages a pitch perfect double jump into the air followed by angling his car upward, rocketing about 4-5 more car lengths up and then brings the front of his car down just enough to lightly touch the ball into a downward arc straight into the goal.

And that's a relatively "simple" maneuver. I can't wait to see what people who are really good at this kind of thing can do. Just another basic example: I found myself way out of position in my own goal area while the ball was shot to the other side of the map... rather than waste the time turning around, I used my filled up boost to just drive straight up the wall next to my own goal, rocket across the top of the map, upside down, and drop down casually next to the enemy goal keeper (roles are loose though ofc with 3on3... no one is spending the whole match in the goal).

Add to that it's a super intense experience and yeah... best game I've played in a while.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have been looking at some videos and it looks brilliant but how are the servers? All the videos I have seen has had trouble getting servers.

Activated Node
    There were a lot of lag problems apparently in the first 24 hours or so but I think they've been mostly/entirely fixed. I bought the game a couple days after release and out of the roughly ~75-100 matches I've played so far (they're 5 minutes long) I had lag issues in 3 of them and then for at most 30 seconds. But it may be different in Europe, I'm in Eastern USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I have been looking at some videos and it looks brilliant but how are the servers? All the videos I have seen has had trouble getting servers.
    It had quite a few issues for a while, simply due to greater popularity than the devs expected, but now it's all on-point, as above. No issues at all now, and it's incredibly easy to find a game of any type. It's so addictive, yet good for short matches as well.

At most, you'll save $5 waiting for the fall/winter sale, but that's not worth the lost play time. I've been playing a lot of other great games recently as well, but even though they're just as good, if not better than RL, I'm not at all bothered by the distraction.
    Last edited by Xzi; 17-07-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    ~

Been playing the PS4 version a bit since it was one of the PS+ games this month. Yeah, it's fun to pick up and play a couple of matches a time.

The game it reminds me of the most is indie freebie first person hockey sim Hockey?

Yeah, Rocket League is probably my biggest surprise this year.

I saw a video, bought it on release and can't stop playing. It's extremely accessible for a multiplayer game, you can even have lots of fun while losing. And yet the skill ceiling is pretty high, you can relly start to master aerial controls and movement. Plus, five minutes are a perfect time for one match.

The only problem (besides shaky servers, but they are getting a lot better) is disconnecting in ranked play. It's not punished right now, so people leave after they concede an early goal. It's pretty ridiculous, but I'm sure there will be a temporary ban for disconnecting in the not far future.

All in all, I can safely say that this will be my GOTY and I wouldn't have thought that possible after the amazing "Pillars of Eternity" and "Witcher 3" earlier this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like the look of this but 15 is too strong for a 'one trick pony' game in my experience - I'm sure the pricing comes more from PSN - it's just too pricey on PC imo

p.s. yes, that's just my 10p of course - but when a new AAA release is often <20, 15 is proper money - I think I've only bought maybe 2 or 3 games which cost that in the last 2-3 years!!
    Last edited by trjp; 18-07-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Have they released the server or is this only hosted on their own servers?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Have they released the server or is this only hosted on their own servers?
    Their own - which are supposedly crossplay for PS4/PC (not sure that matters 1 iota to 99% of players??)

Begs to question why there's no hockey-ish mod for tribes games and only a "carry the ball" one in some ut game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I decided to try it's predecessor (PS3 PSN game) and the controls are certainly EPIC - I had a really, really fun 30-45 mins for sure.

You get the hang of reasonably complex stuff dead quickly - you'll bicycle kick and jet boost into balls with ease. The controls on the PS3 pad are a BIT weird but I sort-of managed it - the PS3 game has a dodgy ball shadow which makes things less fun tho

I'm sure with practice some people will get REALLY good and there's fun in there - I just don't think there's 15 of it to me, right now, sadly...

Watching videos - if it has a downside it's that it rewards goal lurking. A player who sits around midway and waits for a loose ball and just FLIES in and scores is quite hard to defend against - there's a LOT of goals like that on YouTube

Maybe they need to have boost decay faster the longer it's been since you hit the ball/further you are from the ball - anything to keep people from just sitting there with full boost waiting just to sail-in and score time after time?

Maybe a marker. Like a column at the centre of the map. Don't know of editors and mods. Or trees because that's where cars crash:p

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Their own - which are supposedly crossplay for PS4/PC (not sure that matters 1 iota to 99% of players??)
    It will definitely matter to players long-term because of server populations.

Watching videos - if it has a downside it's that it rewards goal lurking. A player who sits around midway and waits for a loose ball and just FLIES in and scores is quite hard to defend against - there's a LOT of goals like that on YouTube
    I'm not sure if you are referring to Rocket League or Battle-Cars (which I have no experience with), but I would just call this "good strategy." As defense, you really shouldn't be letting them get a free floater in front of your goal in the first place.

Additionally, this ties in with the broader team strategy - rewarding players for spreading out so you can set up your team mates for a slam dunk, while also rewarding the defense for predicting and preventing the setup.

Plus, the boost-up pads are concentrated in the corners, so you really need to hit your first shot or else you need to wheel around collecting boost for a while before you can try again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you're playing offline with AI bots, you can hardly count on your teammates to pickup loose players - hell, it's not much more likely players online will do it (there is NO way you can track individual players AND the ball in this game anyway!)

Even if you do pickup loose players, someone who just hits the go/jump/boost combo is pretty much unstoppable, they move MUCH too fast to intercept (or even deflect) and they can, with limited effort, simply pick-off any ball which crosses the goal.

Super...Cars even has a minigame which basically encourages this skill - it fires the ball across the goal and invites you to knock it in over and over and over...

I suppose you could see this as a reward, the player who hangs-back and watches for opportunity will get whilst the players who swarm the ball won't - but it is a kinda big hole in the game which is rather hard to counter and all it needs is a bit of timing and opportunism.

Network Hub
    (A well positioned player could), with limited effort, simply pick-off any ball which crosses the goal.
    But this is my point exactly. Don't track the players - there should always be one ready if you are up against a good team - just stop the ball from crossing the goal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SuddenSight View Post
    But this is my point exactly. Don't track the players - there should always be one ready if you are up against a good team - just stop the ball from crossing the goal.
    The only thing less likely than intercepting a player who's jump/boosted a ball - is intercepting the ball they just hit!!

Remember that the rest of your team are likely still chasing whoever ran-up and cause the ball to cross the goal - you aren't going to have a free run at that thing.

Anyway - I'm just saying that I've seen on videos and what certainly worked against the AI in Super...etc. etc. - I'm sure people will work-out the kinks but I do think we need something to stop people 'lurking' goals (and I don't know what that should be but disabling boost in the half the ball ISN'T in would be a starting point)

The only thing less likely than intercepting a player who's jump/boosted a ball - is intercepting the ball they just hit!!

Remember that the rest of your team are likely still chasing whoever ran-up and cause the ball to cross the goal - you aren't going to have a free run at that thing.

Anyway - I'm just saying that I've seen on videos and what certainly worked against the AI in Super...etc. etc. - I'm sure people will work-out the kinks but I do think we need something to stop people 'lurking' goals (and I don't know what that should be but disabling boost in the half the ball ISN'T in would be a starting point)
    Lining up the proper angle for a shot takes time, especially if you're shooting from mid-court. The simplest solution to someone waiting for the ball is to have someone on your team play goalie.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can you really "play goalie"?

Goalkeepers in football have an advantage over other players (they can use hands as well as feet and leap in pretty-much any direction) but cars are relatively level in skills/abilities?? I reckon most people in the mouth of the goal are more likely to score than save ;0

I think the solution they implemented to 'open goal play' is 'big bouncy ball' - it's actually quite hard to get the ball into the goal - walloping it even dead-on-target is quite likely to hit the bar or higher - it always seem to need that last minute assist (which is where all those "YESSESSS!" moments come in!!)

The exception to that being a fast-run-up/jump/strike (jumping makes the ball fly more level - hitting it lower will make it go upwards) - e.g. the lurkergoal

Can you really "play goalie"?

Goalkeepers in football have an advantage over other players (they can use hands as well as feet and leap in pretty-much any direction) but cars are relatively level in skills/abilities?? I reckon most people in the mouth of the goal are more likely to score than save ;0

I think the solution they implemented to 'open goal play' is 'big bouncy ball' - it's actually quite hard to get the ball into the goal - walloping it even dead-on-target is quite likely to hit the bar or higher - it always seem to need that last minute assist (which is where all those "YESSESSS!" moments come in!!)

The exception to that being a fast-run-up/jump/strike (jumping makes the ball fly more level - hitting it lower will make it go upwards) - e.g. the lurkergoal
    You sure can. I've seen people do a phenomenal job at playing goalie. I've even managed a couple of what the game calls "epic saves" myself. Defense is harder to play than a free-for-all dogpile on the ball, granted, but you have to adapt your strategy to the way your opponents are playing.
    ~

Network Hub
    You should probably play goalie for about 10 seconds after kickoff, if you're the guy in the centre/back. Especially when your teammates don't use boost. *grumblegrumble*

I got an ace goal earlier, need to work out how to wrangle the replay function and PS4's recording so I can upload it. Punted it up a wall, into the corner in the air, then knocked it in from there. Unless my memory failed me. A lot of alternating between Rocket League's two emotions of "No" and "Yes" will do that.