Team Fortress 2 Critical Hits, or that one mechanic you HATE in an otherwise good gam

First person shooters is one of the genres I play alot and one that I've kept playing for a long time now is Team Fortress 2.

It feels quite balanced all in all, the net code seems to be as good as we'll get nowadays and all classes seems to get about the same amount of overpowered complaints.

The one thing I can't stand though is the random critical hits. No matter how well you are playing, a crit can undo everything you've done and it's completly random, your opponent has not gotten that from skillfull playing or careful aiming, but because there is a dice rolling in the background that just rolled a small number on that specific shot. I feel that crits works in a other games, like rpgs, but in a game where you are yourself directly aiming, it feels very unfair and unfitting.

I would as a suggestion prefer if random crits was removed and that all weapons that do not do Area of Effect damage (shotguns excluded) could mini crit or even full crit with headshots. The engine can clearly handle headshots since snipers and spies can do them.

What is your thoughts of random crits in TF2 or shooters in general? Do you have another mechanic that you feel really go against what a game's gameplay seems to be about?

I don't mind them too much in TF2 as I'm never taking it too seriously and rocket crit wiping most of another team is always a little hilarious. Mechanically though you're right, they can be aggravating, but I guess it lends itself to the chaotic tone of the game.

Staying on TF2, having seasonal events that require inter-team cooperation that get trolled to all hell. I get why its done, but bloody hell when you are genuinely trying to cooperate and one pyro keeps messing with everyone it can be rage-inducing for people who don't know the score! I guess that friction is also what makes it work though.

Playing a WWE game where people can just move the other guy while you are in the middle of trying to do a finisher. So deflating just standing there after all the People's Elbow dancing around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Tf2 got ruined when it became about collecting shit
    Also counterstrike

I get that dota2 is big success for valve, but I don't want dota in every bloody game they make.

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Tf2 got ruined when it became about collecting shit
    Also counterstrike

I get that dota2 is big success for valve, but I don't want dota in every bloody game they make.
    That doesn't make much sense...TF2 had hats and weapons and other items well before DoTA 2 was released, let alone popularized. There's also no requirement to collect things, that's just personal preference. I never cared about trying to get one weapon or another, I just play with what I have, switch classes when I get bored, and if something new drops I'll try it out for a bit.
    Last edited by Xzi; 17-04-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    ~∆

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Getting insta-killed by the occasional crit is totally worth it for the delight of getting into an air-blast standoff with a cocky soldier and seeing that spark of red/blue as they fire their next volley at you.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I dunno, eleminating random luck from a game where skill can decide pretty much every single 1 on 1 encounter may be a good idea for some serious competitive shooter. But for me TF2 was a fun pub chaos and I have plenty of great memories of it. Since I played as a scout 90% of a time, random critbats were like best things ever. Ever.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 18-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    TF2 collection is very different from CSGO or DotA2 collection. TF2 weapons and whatnot actually change teh gameplay. One sniper rifle might allow no headshots, but fires faster, another one might not allow you to fire unscoped. Collection in TF2 is much MUCH more than just hats and nonsense like that. You have to get the weapons that you need to make a good build.

CSGO and DoTA2 are just about the cosmetics and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that sort of collection.

In my (extensive) experience in TF2, I found that I've dealt as many random crits as I've received.

Getting killed by a random crit sucks, and I long since learned to just take a deep breath while I respawn. However, I'm always pleasantly surprised when I gib someone with a crocket that saves my life. It evens out I think.

Also, if you really hate random crits, it's possible to play on nocrit servers, where they are disabled. The beauty of having a game with dedicated servers.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I dunno, eleminating random luck from a game where skill can decide pretty much every single 1 on 1 encounter may be a good idea for some serious competitive shooter. But for me TF2 was a fun pub chaos and I have plenty of great memories of it. Since I played as a scout 90% of a time, random critbats were like best things ever. Ever.
    You've nailed it, that's precisely why Valve put them in the game IIRC. Crits are the great leveler, where a lowly newbie can take down a guy on a 20+ killstreak with little effort required.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I like and respect the behind the curtain puppetry of crits in TF2, but I cannot abide the balance affecting unlocks. Killed by equipment I don't have in my pool of equipment or don't even know about without reading a wiki? Uninstalled.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 19-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/