Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Steam OS, Steambox

So did anyone install Steam OS then? I'm contemplating building a steam box but I dunno these things can be pretty expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    At the moment, I think it's better just to go with Ubuntu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm hoping to upgrade my PC's processor and therefore motherboard soon so I'll be setting the old ones aside for a Steam Box I think. No reason not to, I suppose. I am curious to give it a go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I haven't looked too closely, but it boils down to this:

Do you intend to do anything other than game on that machine? If so, just use Ubuntu or Linux Mint (or basically any debian linux that is remotely user-friendly). If not, consider SteamOS, but realize there are no real benefits to it at this point, outside of booting into big picture mode (which you can rig up with normal linux... or windows).

I wouldn't build a new rig just for a Steambox, but when I eventually build my new system (thinking at least 1-2 years, closer to 2 or even 3) I'll also be using the old parts for a steambox.

Well, actually I am more likely to build the entire system to sit next ot my PS3 and PS4 under the TV and just use my laptop or tablet for email and working from home, but whatever.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    If not, consider SteamOS, but realize there are no real benefits to it at this point, outside of booting into big picture mode
    False, games running under SteamOS will run much better than on a similar Windows machine. Of course, the library of supported games is much smaller but nevertheless it's a point to consider

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    False, games running under SteamOS will run much better than on a similar Windows machine. Of course, the library of supported games is much smaller but nevertheless it's a point to consider
    And if you had actually read the post you would see I am referencing other linuxes and I even said to consider a different linux distro.

But please, do your best to turn this into another bitchfest about SteamOS
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm really only interested in the streaming part, I don't even know if that's available yet. Also I wouldn't use a 2500K in a streaming-only PC, seems like massive overkill, but if I have one kicking around with no use in mind I might as well just build a basic PC (basic == cheap graphics card) and run SteamOS on it for general poking around reasons. I'd still be playing my games on my proper (proper == not cheap graphics card) Windows 7 PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    They'll run just as well on Ubuntu, which is superior to SteamOS at least for the time being. It's not in beta, so bugs are going to be a lot less common.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    It's a stripped down Linux OS with a smaller games library than Windows and less OOB functionality than Ubuntu/Linux Mint. You can get the same experience by simply running Steam in Big Picture mode under your favourite OS, with the added benefit of the OS doing much more. In short: It's not worth it until SteamOS delivers significant performance boosts.

Citation needed, because so far benchmarks I've seen suggests no such massive improvement. Valve's claims of "massive performance increases" mean nothing until the numbers turn up to support it.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Obscure Node
    what about this? http://www.steamboymachine.com/ is it real?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I'm just going to continue dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 (though once the games catalogue gets big enough I may relegate Windows 7 to a VM). I run an HDMI cable to my TV and just run Big Picture on it. My current niggle is that Nvidia don't do profile switching to go Dual monitor <-> TV at the click of a button.

Long term there will be the Steam controller, which you may or may not be interested in. I'm from the camp that tries these new technologies to see if they offer any tangible benefit- since the hype usually falls far short (see LEAP). Also, unless anything changes, SteamOS will be be a free platform dedicated to gaming and offering the latest openGL advancements without forcing you to fork out for the latest OS version or hardware a la Microsoft with direct X etc. That's a fairly decent prospect for PC gamers unwilling to go the Ubuntu route.

In addition I don't really want to word process on my gaming rig when a low end tablet can offer me the same functionality. Same goes for watching netflix or checking my email: I save that for the laptop, tablet, or htpc. The less overhead my gaming rig has in terms of processing the more performance I'll squeeze out of it. I don't need a full fledged OS on my gaming machine, just the bare essentials- sort of like a formula 1 car.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    there are no real benefits to it at this point, outside of booting into big picture mode (which you can rig up with normal linux... or windows).

I wouldn't build a new rig just for a Steambox, but when I eventually build my new system (thinking at least 1-2 years, closer to 2 or even 3) I'll also be using the old parts for a steambox.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I'm just going to continue dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 (though once the games catalogue gets big enough I may relegate Windows 7 to a VM). I run an HDMI cable to my TV and just run Big Picture on it. My current niggle is that Nvidia don't do profile switching to go Dual monitor <-> TV at the click of a button.
    Can't you tell Big Picture to switch the primary screen on Linux? Because I can on Windows.

Anyway, i wouldn't install SteamOS on my desktop - probably ever. I'd use it, if I had a box to put under my TV, but currently I've got that connect to my PC via 10m HDMI cable, so my OS doesn't matter as long as it's running Steam.

I want to see Linux do well though, but it's currently not viable to switch completely to Linux at home. (I'm using Fedora at work though.)

For now I can only see me buy a 100€ streaming box. But only if there's any benefit to my HDMI cable (media server capabilities for example).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I was talking about Windows. There doesn't seem to be a button for it anywhere, Nvidia don't do one. I want to switch primary screen + disable 2 monitors and vice versa. As it's a waste rendering to 3 screens.

Network Hub
    I've got 2 screens in DualView (aka. not cloned), and I set up BP so it'll make my secondary screen the primary one for as long as BP is running, and then switches it back automatically when I close BP. You can't turn screens off unfortunately.

It keeps putting my desktop icons on the wrong screen afterwards though. ._.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I prefer to just run Big Picture on Windows 7.

The only thing I don't like is that controller support is garbage for 50% of games that should support it, or even report to have "full controller support" which could mean anything.... also lots of conflicts depending on "how" controllers are supported and if the axes/keys can be redefined.

I would use Big Picture a lot more but the controller support for games on Steam are just too weak. But I like that Steam Big Picture itself has good controller support and is quite simple to use.

Network Hub
    Oh yes, the "full controller support" lies. If it only supports XInput, it clearly does not have "full controller support". I have no idea what criteria you have to meet to get that badge.

The shop pages in BP are also terribly slow. Often videos just flat out refuse to load.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I think "full controller support" just means the game doesn't launch with a little splash screen that requires mouse input. (ie select DX9 or 11)
    and of course the game supports a gamepad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Full controller support means I can launch the game pick up the controller and lie down with my controller.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowTom View Post
    Also, unless anything changes, SteamOS will be be a free platform dedicated to gaming and offering the latest openGL advancements without forcing you to fork out for the latest OS version or hardware a la Microsoft with direct X etc. That's a fairly decent prospect for PC gamers unwilling to go the Ubuntu route.
    Uh, you'll still be buying new hardware with OpenGl support, assuming that support actually eventuates in the future like people are hoping. A game engine suddenly using OpenGl doesn't suddenly give your Geforce 2 SM 4.0 support for example - hardware support still has to exist, it's not done entirely in software.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.