Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My take on different FPS "genres"

So, in my opinion, there are at least 4 different FPS "genres". Let me explain:

#1. The "classic" FPS
    Examples: Doom, Duke Nukem 3D
    Large, "open" levels, where one traditionally needs to find keys/switches to progress deeper into the level. The player is usually permitted to backtrack throughout an entire level freely.

#2. The "Half-Life"-like
    Examples: Half-Life, F.E.A.R
    The player progresses through linear levels, but these might contain "larger" areas where the player might find alternative paths. Often these games tell a story, but still allows the player to progress in his/her own pace.
    One might think of the levels as corridors connecting larger areas, always moving the player forward, but allowing certain exploration. An evolved version of genre #1.

#3. The "cinematic" FPS
    Example: Call of Duty series
    The player is essentially going through a rollercoaster, filled with shooting gallery targets. The game decides when the player is allowed to move forward through the often bombastic story.
    The epitome of corridor FPS games. Backtracking is almost never allowed, exploration is limited to at most checking a side room for the obligatory "secret" collection items.

#4. The open world FPS
    Examples: Far Cry series, Borderlands
    The player is dropped in a huge open world, and allowed to travel freely throughout the lands (certain areas might be gated by the story). Usually filled with collectathon quests, and optional side missions.

Now, through the recent years, it seems like #3, The "cinematic" FPS, has mostly dominated the games that have been released (See COD every year for example).
    However, recently #4 seems to be gaining ground as well.

My question to you all is, have there been any decent FPS games in the #2 genre released the last couple of years? Personally, I like a decent mix of player exploration and focused action.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    My question to you all is, have there been any decent FPS games in the #2 genre released the last couple of years? Personally, I like a decent mix of player exploration and focused action.
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (add as many ones and exclamations marks as you please)
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    First Person Walker: The Stanley Parable, Dear Esther, Proteus
    First Person Puzzler: Portal, Talos Principle, Quantum Conundrum
    First Person Parkour: Mirrors Edge
    First Person Leader: Brothers in Arms
    First Person Sneaker: Dishono(u)red, Thief, Deus Ex
    First Person Driving: Grid, Euro Truck Simulator 2 (or any racer with a decent in car view)
    First Person Kicking Simulator: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    First Person Kleptomaniac: Elder scrolls, Fallout 3/Vegas
    First Person Dying of the Plague in the Woods: Miasmata, Eidelon
    First Person Architect/Explorer/Renaissance man: Minecraft
    First Person Trespasser of Ancient Places: Eldritch
    First Person Quantum Liberation: Super Hot, Super Hot
    First person One handed Surgery: Surgeon Simulator 2013
    First Person Father/Mother Puncher: Zeno Clash

Good meeting.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I wouldn't say "cinematic" fps games are dominating the fps market, when it is really multiplayer shooters that are. CoD, and Battlefield are really more popular for their multiplayer than their campaigns. Titanfall, the other big hyped game release of this year didn't even have single player. I actually struggle to think of any other big fps releases last year, other than Wolfenstein, Destiny, and Farcry 4. I mean how many "cinematic" fps games are there released every year, 2-5?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Dishonored reminds me the most of Half-Life, except a lot less shooting.

I liked DOOM 3 a lot and that has ball-out action + secrets + pretty nicely layered environments, though generally narrow corridors. I like it more than HL2 tbh.

You can always go back to the OG Crysis also. Runs great on mid-range hardware now.

2 is 3, does alien count as first person snuff?

Quote Originally Posted by KR_Remix View Post
    I wouldn't say "cinematic" fps games are dominating the fps market, when it is really multiplayer shooters that are. CoD, and Battlefield are really more popular for their multiplayer than their campaigns. Titanfall, the other big hyped game release of this year didn't even have single player. I actually struggle to think of any other big fps releases last year, other than Wolfenstein, Destiny, and Farcry 4. I mean how many "cinematic" fps games are there released every year, 2-5?
    Actually, that's a good point. Multiplayer FPS games might be where the money's at these days. Personally, I enjoy singleplayer a lot more, hence the discussion I wanted to bring forward in this thread.

Network Hub
    I also prefer singleplayer, although I am excited for the new Unreal Tournament, and co-op shooters can be a lot of fun. I don't think we can expect any big budget singleplayer focused fps games soon. Bioshock Infinite sold more than 4 million copies before Irrational shut down(over 6 million now) and that wasn't enough to justify keeping them around. That game did go through a big development cycle and must've been quite expensive to make; the risk reward probably just doesn't seem as justifiable for a big publisher for a singleplayer fps. I really hope indies and smaller development studios really fill that gap though.

Welp, superhot, reflex, project free fall, desync as the next painkiller clone, some fps I don't remember

Network Hub
    Superhot, and Desync are definitely games on my radar. I'm not sure about Reflex as I like to just stick to one multiplayer fps at a time. Project Free Fall, I must admit I've never heard of this one. It seems to have skiing, is it supposed to be like tribes?

On paper PFF is the one with the best design among them but they are keeping it low because they got nothing atm other than raw tech demos.
    It's fair to compare it to both quake and tribes.

Reflex can be seen as an development of cpm.
    Basically this but tighter according to them
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q76UNcuKSVY
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KR_Remix View Post
    I wouldn't say "cinematic" fps games are dominating the fps market, when it is really multiplayer shooters that are. CoD, and Battlefield are really more popular for their multiplayer than their campaigns.
    I have a distinct memory of the developer saying that more people buy the new COD every year just for the singleplayer, but they sell such ludicrous amounts that the multiplayer still remains huge.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    #2: Shadow Warrior 2013
    #4: Star Citizen (yes, seriously, they`re now calling it a "First Person Universe")
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hard Rest and Shadow Warrior were both fine shooters in recent years, dunno exactly which numbers they'd belong to.

HR had a lot more clear corridors, where as shadow warrior had more backtracking around and a lot of hidden secrets.

Btw there's minerva metastasis, will feel like halo the first 5 minutes then you'll never use the pistol again.
    And Black Mesa is a thing too. There's also a cool horror mod I can't remember the name and then there's mission improbable which I haven't played.
    Then there's research&development which is the best hl2 mod.

I can't remember any other story driven thing that isn't gameplay-cutscene-gameplay-qte-something taking control etc because there isn't and I ignore most things forever.
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-01-2015 at 11:22 PM.

#5. Arena FPS

Think Unreal Tournament or Quake 3.

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    Reckon borderlands needs its own category. Rpg grind bullet sponges shooter.

Shadow warrior would be a mix of 1 and 2. Although you can play it as a 1st person melee game if you like.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    I have a distinct memory of the developer saying that more people buy the new COD every year just for the singleplayer, but they sell such ludicrous amounts that the multiplayer still remains huge.
    I can't find the quote you are talking about, but I guess I was wrong on that one. Either way I still think it is multiplayer that is edging out singleplayer focused fps games in the big budget games arena, and not cinematic sfps games which half-life is probably partially to blame for.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    #5. Arena FPS

This is undergoing a revival too, which is awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    aalso roguelike shooters - ziggurat, paranautical, tower of guns

mmo shooters - planetside
    sim shooters - arma

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    #5. Arena FPS

arms of telos, warsow, reflex, ut4, project fee fall, project nex.
    Personally I'll go for pff when it's ready but you can check the arenafps reddit for every underdog thing (red eclipse would fit fps arena parkour fu).
    Brb with a link;0

http://www.fps-z.com/2014/10/06/the-scene/
    Last edited by Wenz; 13-01-2015 at 12:08 AM.