Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Class Struggles

Class Struggles

As some of you may have noticed, Pillars of Eternity went gold today. Admittedly, I haven't followed the in-depth development all that much despite being a backer. Sure, I knew about the not-psionic and the weird monk but I didn't read any of the lore. So I read the list of classes that are going to be in the game and I saw that there is a ranger class. "I'm going to play a ranger", I thought to myself. I'm a ranger person, I concluded. It's not always been this way, and it's not that I always play a ranger no matter what but if it's a valid choice, I'm going to settle with that.
    Although I'm still not sure if I'm actually going with the ranger in Pillars of Eternity as it seems to have a focus on ranged combat which I generally dislike in RPGs. Also, I'm not exactly sold on the available animal companions. I guess Guild Wars 2 has spoiled me in this regard.

What about you? Is there any playstyle or class you default to? Are there any you try to avoid?
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It really depends on the setting. Mages are my default, but I can play any class long as it is not boring.

And here I thought we were going to have a Marxist conversation.

I recently developed a habit of picking a warriorlike, simply because many developers seem to assume most people will pick that and make it their most accessible class.

The classless system of Skyrim delighted me because I could just keep doing the stuff I thought was fun rather than what was 'needed' if that makes any sense. Very QfG-esque.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I'll play as a Marxist then, never as a neoconservative.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Since the second-best game ever made is Thief 2, I usually try to make a rogue-type character work, preferably with some magical powers though. This is usually only a good idea in games like Elder Scrolls though, so in more traditional RPGs I tend to move from class to class fairly evenly. Except ranged classes, for some reason I only like them in action-RPGs.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I'll play as a Marxist then
    Here's your new avatar, comrade

Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post

Bah. If British people it is, Rachel Weisz is much better then.

Or even Khrushev.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I recently developed a habit of picking a warriorlike, simply because many developers seem to assume most people will pick that and make it their most accessible class.
    They also tend to have the best bling. It saddens me when I am playing, say, mage and get Robes of Greater Sparkling, when as a warrior I would get Badass Armor of Sharp Spikes and Jagged Sword of Darkdoomblood.

Ontopic, since I played Torment as a mage recently, I go for melee this time, never again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    While I backed the game I have no idea what classes are available as I haven't been following its progress at all; I want to be surprised. Assuming it has traditional RPG classes I'll probably go for something cleric-y. I'm currently playing neuThief so rogues are out, and in D:OS I played a witch and fighter type. That leaves the holy rollers for me (and other classes if they're in).
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Or even Khrushev.
    Not hungry enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    They also tend to have the best bling. It saddens me when I am playing, say, mage and get Robes of Greater Sparkling, when as a warrior I would get Badass Armor of Sharp Spikes and Jagged Sword of Darkdoomblood.
    Mages need to be less Fiz-Gand-Merlin-esque and more Raistlin-esque maybe? bad-ass-esque?

...esque?

Can i multiclass? I'm that annoying person that messes up every xp/power ratio by deciding it would be super-neat to be a little bit of a monk, a little bit of a priest and a little bit of something else. This works really, really poorly in computer games, but i try to squeeze it in regardless.

That is, until i'm flayed alive by the challenges, then i just go back and get myself a Paladin to nuke everything hard.

Quote Originally Posted by audiox View Post
    Can i multiclass?
    As long as you're bringing beer...

I like hybrids too, one more reason to appreciate classlessness (whoops that didn't come out right)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Is that Ed Milliband?

Anyway, my personal preference is to never play mages and these days pretty much always go for a fighter/warrior type. If I'm going to be killing lots of stuff then weapons and protective clothing seem to make sense.

My ideal class would be some sort of fighter that doesn't necessarily run around flexing and carrying a twelve foot claymore, more focused on the practicality of combat. Either a rogue with a sword and great reflexes or a soldier type with lightish armour and a bag of dirty tricks. Bron in Game of Thrones.

I love monks. I have the most fun kicking people in the face (and in the game!).
    They also have the best named perks. Neverwinter Nights 2 had "spectacular counter attacks" which were seriously lacking in the spectacular department.
    Either that or fighters / barbarians

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Is that Ed Milliband?
    Joseph Fiennes, the still is from Enemy at the Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Either a rogue with a sword and great reflexes or a soldier type with lightish armour and a bag of dirty tricks. Bron in Game of Thrones.
    That could be a neat idea for a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If there's an option to play a rapier wielding fencing duelist type I always go for that. Games never do fencing that well, though. The animations always let me down. Mechanically I like to avoid damage altogether and do lots of critical hits.

If it's an option, I like battlemages. Flinging spells of mass destruction at hordes of enemies, and then whipping out my huge throbbing...sword as soon as enemies get a bit too close.

When that isn't an option, I just go with the monk-type class and beat things in to submission with my bare hands/fist weapons.
    ~

I usually go for a cleric-type character that combines healing capabilities with decent combat skills. There are RPGs that seperate your character from the rest of your party for a segment of the game, or don't introduce party members with healing capabilities until much later in the game, and it's nice to be self supporting regarding healing.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    I generally go for a spellcaster class whenever possible. Who needs a sword when you have fireballs and lightning bolts? I do wish more games went down the Mass Effect route of letting you combo together spell effects. Some of my fondest memories of ME3`s multiplayer involve blowing up everything in sight with my Paladin`s freeze-incinerate combos.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.