Thread: Soma

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide

Soma

Not long now, release date is 22nd of this month. Really looking forward to this one since the first weirdo trailer with the creepy monitor thing. Same people as Amnesia, Penumbra series and Machine for Pigs. If you haven't checked out their series of weird creepy videos then please do and get hyped :D

http://somagame.com/files.html

Super pumped for SOMA; I absolutely adore Amnesia and very much liked Penumbra series so I'll buy anything made by Frictional.

I've been avoiding videos and trailers like the plague though, I want to go in knowing nothing.

By the way, Frictional did not make Machine for Pigs; that was The Chinese Room (they of Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture fame) so that's probably why I didn't like it very much.

They are these ballsy dudes who have been doing the same thing for ages regardless of people liking or not, at start at least, and marathoning it all to see how things have grown from shit games to survival revivals is amazing but I'm pretty much done with their stuff and the clones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    They are these ballsy dudes who have been doing the same thing for ages regardless of people liking or not, at start at least, and marathoning it all to see how things have grown from shit games to survival revivals is amazing but I'm pretty much done with their stuff and the clones too.
    Frictional Games hasn't actually made all that many games though. They have a total of 3 to my knowledge; Penumbra, Penumbra Overture, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The two games sharing their franchise name were made by outside developers, and got slightly worse reviews than their counterparts. I, for instance, never actually finished A Machine For Pigs. (Partly because I got stuck somewhere)

I'm really looking forward to this. Still a bit clueless as to the basis of storyline for the game; I saw some live-action "theme videos" that were meant to set the tone and creep you out, and those interested me but ultimately didn't provide many exact clues.

Sure although it's been this harmless dude playing hide and seek since 2007 and soma changes setting once again to sell it, .machine for pigs and dark plague(?) might not help to see how things change organically but they were selling hide n seek too

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, but for bazillions of other games it has been this uber-dude playing destroy-all-monsters since 1991.. so I'm not sure we can begrudge them so bucking that trend and then sticking with it for a measly 3-5 games. (Especially as most people didn't play Penumbra and the first one was a pretty rough draft proof of concept).

I'm half way through Amnesia wight now, and it's very well done. Actually, the hide and seek has only really just kicked in... the first half of the game has almost no hide and seek. It's mainly a first person adventure game that's about exploration and atmosphere... and they are very good at building a brooding atmosphere.

The lighting system in particular is awesome... the way your eyes adjust to the darkness..

That said, I don't think I'd want to mainline straight from Amnesia into another similar game... I'll take a break from the oppressive atmosphere and blow up some Skaarj or something.

Who said anything about grudge stuff:D