Page 226 of 603 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 12045

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Crusader Kings is all about detail, complexity, and people. It's a grand scale strategy title based on the most important interactions of the people of its time. Its quite the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by makute View Post
    I'm tempted with that Crusader Kings II at 10 bucks. I read good reviews, how is it compared with Medieval II + Stainless Steel +BGR IV?

I love detail and complexity.
    If you are tempted give the demo a try, but bear in mind that the full game is about ten times better than the demo as the demo is so short that you don't get to experience the full feel of the inheritance and dynasty and plotting and scheming and backstabbing and warring.

Th game itself is probably the best strategy game I have ever played. I don't care that the battles are pretty simple (generally higher numbers win; though this has supposedly been tweaked in the most recent patch), you are actually plotting, which is something I have never before done in a game.

For a gentle introduction to the game, which can be overwhelming, try playing as one of the southern Irish counts. The game has a good tutorial relative to previous Paradox games, but really you must just learn by doing; by fucking up and trying to fix it, or getting shafted by your vassals and your dukedom falling apart.

Activated Node
    Looks like a real challenge, I'll give it a try. Thanks you pals.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Saw this a couple days ago, a little surprised it's still ongoing:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Ktqdrrsrd9qcww
    Seems like a great base for a mid-range/low-budget build. The PSU obviously has to go. Slap a Seagate, some fans and a 560ti in there and you have a respectable <$500 rig.
    Last edited by sabrage; 30-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    What's the general opinion on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? Looks like I could enjoy that kind of game ATM.

Also, is the pc version worthy of this mightiest of platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    What's the general opinion on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? Looks like I could enjoy that kind of game ATM.

Also, is the pc version worthy of this mightiest of platforms?
    It's a rather good version though lacks FoV options. I enjoyed the single player portion very much and have spent quite some time in multiplayer too. For the 5 euros it now costs in Steam it's a no brainer, especially if you like 40k.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    It was fun in small doses, but disappointing and occasionally frustrating.

Activated Node
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on this: http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-KOARC/...lection-bundle

What do you guys think? I heard the game was exceptionally easy. Is it still worth it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on this: http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-KOARC/...lection-bundle

What do you guys think? I heard the game was exceptionally easy. Is it still worth it?
    There's a demo on Origin if you want to see for yourself. I liked the way it "felt" enough that I picked it up in that sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I found the space marine demo really disappointing, is the main game better?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I bought Space Marine this morning and it runs and looks nice and is good fun so far after 3 hours online and off.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I found the space marine demo really disappointing, is the main game better?
    My understanding is that the demo is very representative of the (highly limited and very short) full game.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    My understanding is that the demo is very representative of the (highly limited and very short) full game.
    Yup. If you don't like the demo, you won't like the game.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Activated Node
    There's a demo on Origin if you want to see for yourself. I liked the way it "felt" enough that I picked it up in that sale.
    Yeah I might check it out the demo. I thought I'd ask because people said the demo is not a good representation of the actual game... And with my internet the demo will probably take a couple hours to download.

I played Space Marine on my 360 and while I enjoyed it, the game wasn't anything special. Just a solid 3rd person shooter/slasher. I imagine that my insane love of 40k fluff kept me interested for much longer than I would have been if it was its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    Yeah I might check it out the demo. I thought I'd ask because people said the demo is not a good representation of the actual game... And with my internet the demo will probably take a couple hours to download.
    Yup, I'd be interested in hearing other opinions too. The demo is linear and the game is open world, so I'm sure the one isn't all that useful for assessing the other, but it does give you a feel for the controls, the basics of combat, the inventory system etc.

I'd be interested in knowing if playing the game on hard does anything for the difficulty issues, as well.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i hated the demo of koa, but quite liked the full game.

it isn't very hard, though. even on the hardest difficulty. i took to not spending my points upon leveling to try and keep things interesting (i did a similar thing in tw2).

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    That paradox pack is tempting. Only problem is I know I won't get to the games for ages and I already have a few grand strategy games on the back burner.

I try to buy something from each genre so I always have a wide variety of things to play when they strike my mood. Right Now my back log is RTS/Strategy/Adventure/RPG heavy. But I'm low on FPS's and Action Adventure games. Which kind of sucks as I could use a big dumb action game right now but don't really have anything to play.

Wish the steam sale hadn't been delayed.

Bought Space Marine last night and have been playing it this afternoon. It's certainly entertaining to shoot and smash stuff, but somewhat repetitive--I'd compare it to the Serious Sam series in that sense. I'm on hard difficulty, which is ridiculously easy in typical situations, but stupid difficult at particular points. I can see getting frustrated at some future point, and may switch down to normal difficulty at the next section switch. Which is similar to Fear 3 (which I just finished playing from a Steam sale) in that sense (stupid phase casters), but in Fear 3 you could alter the game difficulty at any point (thank you, game developers!). So far though, it's definitely worth the $7.50.

Network Hub
    Amalur:

Yup, I'd be interested in hearing other opinions too.
    -snip-
    I'd be interested in knowing if playing the game on hard does anything for the difficulty issues, as well.
    The difficulty issues won't go away. I'd definitely recommend hard but the game is actually at its hardest early on. They have more content than they seem to have designed for and if you're thorough you'll outlevel everything from the halfway point on. Your char is basically a god by the end of the game and can destroy entire armies instantly. I spent a good 10-15 hours doing quests against enemies who were grey (underlevelled) by a significant margin. I'd hit the level cap before entering the final major zones.

It's open world but it's definitely linear. I guess a close analogy would be Elder Scrolls in a combat focused game. There's a lot to see and there really are a lot of quests but you won't make any real decisions. A couple of quests end in decisions out of hundreds and even those are actually quite insignificant. It's good at what it does, it's just taken a narrow view of what it wants to do.

For all that, I enjoyed it and nearly completed it twice before stopping. You can basically respec as much as you want, there are plenty of fun unlocks for all classes and even when it's easy it manages to be engaging. I'd even recommend skipping some side quests if you're finding them tedious because there's plenty out there.