Page 229 of 610 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 12184

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    Yeah, but if I'm going to play a level or two and then throw my hands up in annoyance (I'm looking at you, Clive Barker's Jericho, and at you, Star Wars: Force Unleashed), than any amount is too expensive.
    I played Jericho with a downloaded save that had all the cheats turned on (always win QTE and unlimited ammo being key) and on easy. It was legitimately fun running around as sniper lady and using the underslung grenade launchers on everything.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I played Jericho with a downloaded save that had all the cheats turned on (always win QTE and unlimited ammo being key) and on easy. It was legitimately fun running around as sniper lady and using the underslung grenade launchers on everything.
    Maybe I should try that. If I remember right, I got a few levels in and found the guns underpowered and low on ammo pickups. When I encountered a CTD right after a long fight without a checkpoint (and then encountered it again a few days later just to make sure), that was it for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Jericho is awesome except for the QTEs and some difficulty spikes. It's really fucking weird and hard to get into but it's worth it. It's one of the most atmospheric games ever.

As for Legendary, I bought it because I was always curious about it.

Is Gothic 3 any good? I've never played any of them. They're five Americanos on GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-GCP/go...lection-bundle

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    As for Legendary, I bought it because I was always curious about it.
    Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    Is Gothic 3 any good? I've never played any of them. They're five Americanos on GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-GCP/go...lection-bundle
    They're all brilliant in their own way, the first one is the weakest due to a bewildering number of bugs and lackluster graphics, but it has a great atmosphere, the second one is definitely the best as far as location and storyline is concerned and the third has the combat tweaked so it flows a great deal smoother, but I'm not sure that's an improvement really.

It's a pretty unusual series as far as RPGs are concerned, the combat system demands skill and the world has no enemy scaling, something that is bemoaned in modern games like The Elder Scrolls and the fantasy elements are dialed down, no elfs, dwarfs, etc..

I highly recommend to start with the second one, it's definably the best in the series and when it was released it was the only real alternative to the open wordiness of Morrowind. But if you find it's graphics too outdated the third is pretty good as long as you install the newest community patch.
    Last edited by Marar Patrunjica; 04-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Afterfall: InSanity (capitalize ProPerly!) for 7.45

An interesting postapocalyptic game (from Eastern Europe, yay) marred by subpar acting (animation + voices) and linear levels.
    What it has definitely going for itself is a feel of "physicality" similar to Condemned.

There will be a extended edition later in 2012 free for all current owners.
    Last edited by Revisor; 04-07-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Not "free", but "free for current owners"

Binary Domain on Amazon for $10

Worth it? I'm open for some roboshooter.

RPS says:
    There’s an awful lot more going on here than in the average third-person shooter, [...] the story, in the final hour (of about 12 or so) finally becomes something a bit more novel, [...] but I hated playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post

Worth it? I'm open for some roboshooter.
    I bought it for 15 on my console toy and really enjoyed it. While it's still a cover-based TPS, it's got some of the mad sensibilities of Vanquish.

Shooting the heads off the robots to get them to turn on their allies will never not be fun too.

I'm worried about the port quality. Obviously they botched the PC porting pretty badly but then again there was a patch improving the mouse handling and adding a FOV selection. I just don't know if it helped enough.

Edit: A Steam user says
    Other than the mouse acceleration (which is easy for the player to adapt to), the game doesn't have many others serious problems since the patch
    And that's what I want to believe. :)
    Last edited by Revisor; 04-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Binary Domain's patch fixed most technical problems mentioned in the WIT. Everything else John said contradicts what everyone says about the game. I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try it.
    Mediocre mod quality. It looks pretty cool but the level design, AI, bullet sponge respawning enemies and underpowered weapons ruin it. It's one of those games where you can basically touch the door in front of you but you can't jump over a 50cm handrail so you have to circle around through conveniently crashed subway trains - then fall and circle again. One day when I'm really bored I'll try to finish it.
    It also features that special brand of awful English female accent. You know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    Had my eye on it... Just one question: Is it Steam redeemable?

Edit: Seems like it is, forget about it! ^^
    Last edited by AlexClockwork; 04-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Holy shit Binary Domain is so good! I don't know what John was smoking when he wrote that WIT.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Holy shit Binary Domain is so good! I don't know what John was smoking when he wrote that WIT.
    More details, if you please!
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Furthermore, the Rock Of Ages has been diagnosed with Midweek Madness.
    Bought it! I kept telling myself to get this because I love ACE Team, but the backlog and middling reviews have kept me from it until now.

I also noticed that Steam now allows me to pay directly through my own bank with iDEAL! That's a hell of a lot more secure than Paypal, I'm really glad they have this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    so Red Alert 3 is a bit cheap then, I have a soft spot for the first two but is this a yay or nay? More of a single player kind of guy so I would be looking more for a fun campaign

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    More details, if you please!
    I'm playing it with a controller, no voice commands (I'll try that on another playthrough) and FOV increased by 10.
    With that in mind:

- the weapons feels really good and the controls are tight
    - two hours into the game I already met a dozen enemy types. The in-game database shows a lot more are to come!
    - each enemy type has different behaviour and stats
    - shooting is tactical: you can dismember robots and they alter their behaviour accordingly. There are decoys, various grenade types and squad commands. I find the AI very interesting to play around with. Enemy groups come in various configurations and it's fun to mess with them and see how they react to both you and their allies.
    - combat is interrupted by entertaining setpieces
    - the boss fights are AWESOME
    - it's not too Japanese, if you know what I mean. The arcade elements are non-intrusive and it's not full blown Kojima/JRPG retarded.
    - I find the writing and cutscenes entertaining. There's a bit of a John Carpenter vibe.
    - There's a conversation system. You can often choose responses like "Damn!", "God damn!" and "Shit", no matter what your team says.
    - Your team reacts to your words and to your gameplay performance. For example, after a poor performance a dude was confused and annoyed and reminded me that shit will only get more real... to which I was like "Damn!". He wasn't pleased. Apparently their behaviour both in and out of combat and the story will be affected by what I do. So far I haven't seen much of that but the conversations and their reactions to what happens are satisfying.
    - Looks, runs and sounds great

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Wow, that sounds pretty fantastic. Does Amazon give you a Steam key? I've got a DE:HR key I might want to trade for this.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    so Red Alert 3 is a bit cheap then, I have a soft spot for the first two but is this a yay or nay? More of a single player kind of guy so I would be looking more for a fun campaign
    Honestly, its mixed.

If only it had a demo.
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/12449...d_Alert_3_Demo
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_36354.shtml
    http://www.fileplanet.com/194888/190...d-Alert-3-Demo
    Yeah, you are just going to have to decide based on pure intuition.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Wow, that sounds pretty fantastic. Does Amazon give you a Steam key? I've got a DE:HR key I might want to trade for this.
    It's a Steam key.
    I forgot to mention you have upgrades and currency. Combat performance is rewarded with money which you use at little trade stations to get ammo, weapons and upgrades for you and your team. Every character's main weapon has a bunch of stats and abilities to upgrade. Passive bonuses for each character can be found or purchased and then installed and swapped in what's basically a Tetris interface.