Page 253 of 583 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303353 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 11646

Thread: PC Bargains

UT 2k4 is a 5er on GOG at the moment. Is there an occasional old-school RPS gaming club for that old gem?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Oh look, going on sale just before a free to play announcement, classy.
    Is this standard issue sarcasm, or did they really just make a F2P announcement?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There has been no F2P announcement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Is this standard issue sarcasm, or did they really just make a F2P announcement?
    Neither, they announced they are haemoraging players in a financial and generally a sale leads before a free to play announcement.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Neither, they announced they are haemoraging players in a financial and generally a sale leads before a free to play announcement.
    I think you're confusing hemorrhaging players with not getting enough people to buy as predicted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Eh, I've been playing the trial, and to be honest, I too was expecting a F2P announcement not too long in the future...
    ...until the patcher informed me that due to the high demand found, the ingame real money store (for clothes and whathaveya cosmetic crap) was suffering a lot of downtime because it was getting hammered.

At that point I simply... I have no idea what to think anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Well, yes not enough adoptors from the free trial
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    lord of the rings: war in the north is 5$ today on gmg, and activates on steam.
    www.greenmangaming.com/s/il/en/pc/games/action/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north/?gmgr=qecuzoge

i highly recommend playing this game in coop, the singleplayer experience isn't all that great
    EDIT: also found a voucher code that drops it to 4$, use DERHE-RRDER-RINGE at checkout.
    Last edited by marklar; 17-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    UT 2k4 is a 5er on GOG at the moment. Is there an occasional old-school RPS gaming club for that old gem?!
    I would like to know this also.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    lord of the rings: war in the north is 5$ today on gmg, and activates on steam.
    www.greenmangaming.com/s/il/en/pc/games/action/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north/?gmgr=qecuzoge

i highly recommend playing this game in coop, the singleplayer experience isn't all that great
    EDIT: also found a voucher code that drops it to 4$, use DERHE-RRDER-RINGE at checkout.

Trading in recent freebits got that down to 1.50 here in the UK - hard to say no really :)

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    The Secret World 50% off on Amazon US, 25$
    http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Art...e+Secret+World
    The half-off sale hasn't even helped it crack the top ten. It's being outpaced by a couple oldish Sim titles with minor discounts. It has through the end of the weekend, when the sale ends, to get in there before this just gets sad. When it does go F2P I think I'll pick up where I left off during the free weekend simply to pat Funcom on the head and tell them it's going to be okay.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I've never considered the monthly fee subscription model reasonable. I could play a game like this (I tried TSW during the free weekend and it was pretty nice), but the amount you pay for the privilige is just so much higher than for any other game, and I simply can't see how the experience is worth so much more. And then the game also has micros for buying clothes, which seems a bit rich when you already paid full new-game price for the disc AND a monthly fee. They should have launched with a pay once, play forever model plus micros, and I'd have gladly bought the game. As it is now, I'll very likely play it when it goes f2p, but not before then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I've never considered the monthly fee subscription model reasonable. I could play a game like this (I tried TSW during the free weekend and it was pretty nice), but the amount you pay for the privilige is just so much higher than for any other game
    If you don't play MMOs properly - perhaps - but if you do...

I played WoW for about 2 years, on and off - that's about 240 in subscriptions and 90 in game/expansions.

For that 330 I got just over 250 DAYS of entertainment - that's 6000 hours. My normal 'value for money' calculation is 1 hour per pound - wheras each hour of WoW cost me just 18p

No other game could even remotely match that (erm - maybe Fairway Solitaire in Ipad!) but nothing on the PC platform comes even remotely close. I've got a couple of games which cost under 10 and I've played 20-30 hours - but in most cases I get nowhere near that.

Subscription models are fine if you're actually playing the game properly - but I do agree that a subs AND a shop is mildly taking the piss tho...

p.s. when I'm playing an MMO I tend to lose interest in most other games anyway - 330 represents my total spending on games for that period really - that's 165 a year - I'm nowhere near that now, hell I spend 65 on the Steam Summer Sale ALONE!

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    For that 330 I got just over 250 DAYS of entertainment - that's 6000 hours. My normal 'value for money' calculation is 1 hour per pound - wheras each hour of WoW cost me just 18p
    You played 24hs a day?!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I've never considered the monthly fee subscription model reasonable. I could play a game like this (I tried TSW during the free weekend and it was pretty nice), but the amount you pay for the privilige is just so much higher than for any other game, and I simply can't see how the experience is worth so much more. And then the game also has micros for buying clothes, which seems a bit rich when you already paid full new-game price for the disc AND a monthly fee. They should have launched with a pay once, play forever model plus micros, and I'd have gladly bought the game. As it is now, I'll very likely play it when it goes f2p, but not before then.
    Agreed, guy with similar name.

Back on topic, I see that Gamersgate has the Theatre of War collection for $11.24. Worth noting that Amazon is going to offer what I believe is the entire 1C catalog (66 games) for $15 in the next few weeks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    You played 24hs a day?!
    WoW reports 'played days' for each character - totally 250-odd across my various toons. That's spread over somewhere between 25 and 30 months of subscription (counting free months and other stuff) and almost 4 years of real time.

But yes, I played WoW for 250 actual days over around 750=800 days in total - that is 6-8 hours a day - yes. In my defense, I used WoW as a chat client for a long time AND I developed mods which often meant leaving myself logged-in for long periods - but yes, I played it a lot...

There were always people there when I logged-in and still there when I logged-out :)

oh. I seem to have interpreted your post wrong then. Nothing to see here, move along.

Silent Hunter 5 is a dollar through Uplay today only.

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Silent Hunter 5 is a dollar through Uplay today only.
    Does it have the DRM which locks part of your game if you lose your connection? Or the DRM which requires your connection to hold or it will quit? Or the DRM which requires online access to start the game? Or the DRM which requires online access to register, but can then be played offline?

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    Does it have the DRM which locks part of your game if you lose your connection? Or the DRM which requires your connection to hold or it will quit? Or the DRM which requires online access to start the game? Or the DRM which requires online access to register, but can then be played offline?
    I'm not sure. I'm using the Uplay client to play it and am online all the time, so personally it doesn't really matter to me, either. I'm not really going to be playing much unless I'm playing multiplayer, so the online only thing doesn't really get in the way.

EDIT3: Nope, opens Uplay. I don't know what the requirements are but it at least has to be run through Uplay. Must have misread which SH got the DRM removed.
    Last edited by johnki; 18-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.