Page 2 of 570 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Bargains

Obscure Node
    So, the age of wonder games are half off this weekend on gog.com. I played the first one a long time ago, and I've heard that the others are also very good. Which one do you think is the most worth getting? Also, how do the graphics look on a modern monitor?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpugeek13 View Post
    So, the age of wonder games are half off this weekend on gog.com. I played the first one a long time ago, and I've heard that the others are also very good. Which one do you think is the most worth getting? Also, how do the graphics look on a modern monitor?
    There's really no reason to get Wizard's Throne, since Shadow Magic (which was technically an expandalone) essentially contains everything it does and then some. I think Shadow Magic still looks pretty good (though to be honest, I think the first one looks best, because the hand-painted art is just fantastic) and it certainly still plays quite well. I play the first one and SM to this day (they each have different strengths, and Shadow Magic has one of the more powerful random scenario generators I've ever seen in a game like this). For $5 you really can't go wrong.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
    For me personally, I rank them in the order they came out, best to worst.

Let me do a short review of each:

RF1: Lots of fun, destruction is great, especially for 2001. A can't-miss for $2.50
    RF2: Has nothing to do with the first, is pretty horrible compared to the first one, but for $2.50 it's a fun timewaster with bots in multiplayer.
    RFG: The destruction is fun for a bit, but within 3-4 hours I was bored of it and had no inclination to continue. The shooting is bad, the weapon variety is worse, and the challenge modes are pretty limited.
    The trick to enjoying Red Faction Guerilla is to play it on the easiest difficulty setting and just run amok blowing stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    The trick to enjoying Red Faction Guerilla is to play it on the easiest difficulty setting and just run amok blowing stuff up.
    yeah, that's how i played it and i still got bored after a couple of hours. it's just too.. samey.

Witcher 2 is 19.99 at Dixons download service best price so far for download?. Only noticed because I went back there to log in to get some of the free games from the launch offer.

Downloaded a few of the free games and the service seems OK, no client to play the game, just a downloader. Download rate was pretty poor a week ago though.
    {edit: and that part is still shit. Now downloading The Club at a mighty 120kbit/s}

Tempting to get Witcher 2 at this price but holding off for few months until I upgrade to a PC that will do it justice.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 03-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Downloaded a few of the free games and the service seems OK, no client to play the game, just a downloader. Download rate was pretty poor a week ago though.
    {edit: and that part is still shit. Now downloading The Club at a mighty 120kbit/s}
    The downloader is a poor P2P service. There seem to be generally a few peers (though not, like, a lot), but none of them are terribly fast. Dixons doesn't seem to have been able to grasp the idea that pirates put up with the foibles of BitTorrent only because they're not paying for the thing, and has adopted it wholesale (only worse) into its paid model. Which is kind of silly.

http://indiegamespack.com/ - I've no idea whether the games are any good but 5$'s not a fortune. Sent them an e-mail whether this things register on Steam but they didn't write me back yet.
    Last edited by Berlin; 04-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    http://indiegamespack.com/ - I've no idea whether the games are any good but 5$'s not a fortune. Send them an e-mail whether this things register on Steam but they didn't write me back yet.
    city rain and bob came in pieces would be worth that $5 each.
    I guess the others are worth a look see, it won't be steamworks so you'll need to back up installers for added security.

Obscure Node
    Telltale games have 75% off almost everything in their store.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Witcher 2 is 19.99 at Dixons download service best price so far for download?. Only noticed because I went back there to log in to get some of the free games from the launch offer.

Tempting to get Witcher 2 at this price but holding off for few months until I upgrade to a PC that will do it justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    The downloader is a poor P2P service. There seem to be generally a few peers (though not, like, a lot), but none of them are terribly fast. Dixons doesn't seem to have been able to grasp the idea that pirates put up with the foibles of BitTorrent only because they're not paying for the thing, and has adopted it wholesale (only worse) into its paid model. Which is kind of silly.
    Dixons pulled a massive troll when they supposedly offered several good Sega games for free to get people to sign up, it was all bollocks though, whenever anyone tried to download those games the site would insist that they weren't 18 and then, a couple of days later the option became greyed out with a big red 'sold out!' sign across it. That sort of crap really pisses me off.
    "Kiss the hand of the arm you cannot break, while praying to God to break it for you." - Arabian Proverb

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Telltale games have 75% off almost everything in their store.
    Thanks! I've been looking to complete the Wallace and Gromit series and oddly enough considered it a few days ago. I thought the free one I got was only 'alright' but its worth it for 3.75 just for Gromit's animations.

Note, the deals are a bit hard to see at first on the Telltale site. The price listed still looks the same as before the 75% off, but theres some small(ish) print below the title mentioning the actual deal price.

Quote Originally Posted by J-snukk View Post
    Dixons pulled a massive troll when they supposedly offered several good Sega games for free to get people to sign up, it was all bollocks though, whenever anyone tried to download those games the site would insist that they weren't 18 and then, a couple of days later the option became greyed out with a big red 'sold out!' sign across it. That sort of crap really pisses me off.
    That wasn't Dixons fault- they used 192.com as a check to tell if you were 18. If your name wasnt matching what was on the 192 records, you wouldn't be able to verify you were 18 and couldnt download. I signed up with my current address and had no problems (I'm listed as 22-25, so there is some range in the age it seems)

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    That wasn't Dixons fault- they used 192.com as a check to tell if you were 18. If your name wasnt matching what was on the 192 records, you wouldn't be able to verify you were 18 and couldnt download. I signed up with my current address and had no problems (I'm listed as 22-25, so there is some range in the age it seems)
    I wasn't on there so I registered as my Dad, who was, still had the same problem, Even if, in the unlikely event that Dixons weren't deliberately being assholes, still their fault for using that crappy piece of shit 192.com.
    "Kiss the hand of the arm you cannot break, while praying to God to break it for you." - Arabian Proverb

Even if, in the unlikely event that Dixons weren't deliberately being assholes, still their fault for using that crappy piece of shit 192.com.
    This may be a stupid question, but how were they deliberately being "assholes"? Why did it work for me and not you- do they have a vendetta against you?

There was a problem, sure, but I cant think of a good reason why they would anger prospective customers for a new download service on purpose.

This may be a stupid question, but how were they deliberately being "assholes"? Why did it work for me and not you- do they have a vendetta against you?

There was a problem, sure, but I cant think of a good reason why they would anger prospective customers for a new download service on purpose.
    Maybe just to get people to sign up, I mean, seriously who was signed up to Dixons before then? and you're the only person I've seen who actually managed to get it to work, besides I always had bad experiences with Dixons back in the day when people still went to brick and mortar shops; mark my words, they are not to be trusted.

Maybe just to get people to sign up, I mean, seriously who was signed up to Dixons before then? and you're the only person I've seen who actually managed to get it to work,.
    So- after those problems will you use the service? I'm guessing not- annoying potential customers clearly wasn't what they intended. The problem was in the execution, but the idea behind it wasn't too bad.

So- after those problems will you use the service? I'm guessing not- annoying potential customers clearly wasn't what they intended. The problem was in the execution, but the idea behind it wasn't too bad.
    Maybe beings with less ability to hold a grudge may see an email from them in the future and forget about their past woes, I know not. But, no I won't be having anything to do with them, their customer support didn't want to help either.

As for PC bargains the 12.99 shogun 2 is a good one, and, on an unrelated note, I expected LA Noire in the post this morning and instead recieved and application form for a job in the local fish factory.

There's Dirt -75% on Steam today, it's something like 2,5e but it doesn't support Win7 so who cares?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    There's Dirt -75% on Steam today, it's something like 2,5e but it doesn't support Win7 so who cares?
    People that read forums and see that there's an easy fix?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1053329

Pretty sure I played DIRT on windows 7.