Page 338 of 569 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388438 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 11368

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    p.s. I've got an idea - I'll buy you Cargo Commander as a gift. If you like it, you buy me a game of similar value which I'm "on the fence" about - if you don't like it, I'll take the loss? ;)

p.p.s. I own CC but have not yet played it so I'm genuinely not any more clued-up on it than anyone else :)
    I think this is the most horrible idea I've heard this month. And we're in the middle of Christmas.

I appreciate the good will, but this just reeks of disaster to me. Thanks anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I think this is the most horrible idea I've heard this month. And we're in the middle of Christmas.

I appreciate the good will, but this just reeks of disaster to me. Thanks anyway.
    So spending a small amount on a game you might not like is worse than someone else spending it whereby you have nothing to lose...

OOOKay :)

Demos are a double-edged sword tho
    Definitely, I almost did not play Gemini Rue because I didn't like gunfights in the demo.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

So spending a small amount on a game you might not like is worse than someone else spending it whereby you have nothing to lose...

OOOKay :)
    Yup.

Anyway, already "tried" it and quickly grew bored of it, so that's a miss.

Network Hub
    Not sure if anyone posted this but Sonic Generations is going for 4.99 on GreenManGaming, if you apply the code 'GMG30-DPLIM-DN831' you can grab it for 3.50. By far the cheapest I have seen it.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Two completely different genres. SotS2 is a 4X game
    my fave 4X is still Master Of Orion II.
    got it bundled with it's (graphically hard to stomach, yet simpler and arguably better) predecessor for 1.5 last week (at Gamersgate, it's still discounted but more expensive now. you can also get it at gog).

people who just wanna have a taste of 4X could check this link: http://goblinlunatics.blogspot.be/20...v10-final.html for an extremely basic, dare i say casual 4X game (the AI leaves much to be desired though).

Demos are a double-edged sword
    Agreed, Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye) said on his blog that he believed a demo that was too extensive had affected sales of one of his games, in that many players were perfectly happy to snack on a few puzzles rather than pay 15 bucks (or whatever the price was at launch). I think this also happened a lot in the shareware days, which is a bit like the mobile games market at the moment. Hence why I was trying to be specific about wanting a short, simple demo. I appreciate devs who are generous with their demos, but I accept that they're unlikely to be the norm.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Agreed, Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye) said on his blog that he believed a demo that was too extensive had affected sales of one of his games, in that many players were perfectly happy to snack on a few puzzles rather than pay 15 bucks (or whatever the price was at launch). I think this also happened a lot in the shareware days, which is a bit like the mobile games market at the moment. Hence why I was trying to be specific about wanting a short, simple demo. I appreciate devs who are generous with their demos, but I accept that they're unlikely to be the norm.
    It's really tricky - there are at least a dozen games on XBLA which I've not picked-up because the demo didn't really grab me - but I know that without the demo I might have risked them anyway.

I know of several games where the demo actively deterred me but the game was actually excellent (Dirt 2 is the most outstanding example of this - it's demo is a pick-and-mix of all the shit bits).

There there's the games which are 'one trick ponies' - demos of those actively discourage people for obvious reasons even tho it may be the only trick you need.

Demos for big games are a must but I think cheaper games should be seen as a bit of a punt, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Ridiculously cheap (0.62) The Last Remnant on GamersGate which I can't help but recommend. Yes it's a JRPG. Yes it's obtuse and obfusticating as all fuck. Yes the port is a little shoddy at times (although the PC version is far superior to 360). But in terms of the battle system it's something pretty unique and will provide hours of fun if you an get into it. I think I've sunk around 150 hours in TLR due to loving the battles and the lack of normal JRPG bullshit (save anytime you want, for example).

Shows at 3.75€ for me. Another multi-discount stack shenanigan?

Seems to be. It's at 2.49 for me now. Still a pretty good deal for people who have been on the fence with it in the past.

Hum... Tried the demo, and didn't understand nothing at all. Will hope I get lucky on SteamGifts or an insane deal, as I'm curious, but not certain about going to enjoy it at all.

It's one of those games where the demo is just useless and does moer harm than good. As I said, for the tiny amount of cash it would have been worth giving it a shot but now, even though the price is still pretty great, I appreciate that people are less willing to take a gamble.
    For more about it I refer you to this post where I completely failed at describing the game succinctly - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...Last%2BRemnant

I need to try that again. The last time I was turned off since the battle system was a bit too automated. Maybe it adds some complexity later on.

That is a bit of an issue. Takes a while to get to a point where you have a good number of characters (>10) spread over 3+ unions and those characters have enough different magic/item/healing/buff/debuff/combat arts that they can do. Then things become fantastically complex so you can end up in fights which can last an hour or more and are tense the entire time.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I need to try that again. The last time I was turned off since the battle system was a bit too automated. Maybe it adds some complexity later on.
    I can understand that, the game takes sometime to build up, But after you get more units things get
    a lot more interesting.

It reminded me how I was always bored at the beginnings of the Final Fantasy games, until you get more skills/spells/etc.
    And that can take hours sometimes...

If you do play Last Remnant however, prepare yourself to endure a quite likely the most unlikable protagonist in the history of gaming. He is unbearable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaskus View Post
    If you do play Last Remnant however, prepare yourself to endure a quite likely the most unlikable protagonist in the history of gaming. He is unbearable.
    Even less likeable than Chris from the Resident Evil games?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In JRPG terms Rush isn't too bad, by the end he's even pretty decent thanks to having a character arc. He doesn't have Chris' beefy arms though

I had never played Resident Evil so I can't compare, but this guy is an idiot. Also I'm pretty sure he wants to have his way with his little sister, but that may just be the way Japanese portray relationships.
    I don't remember the particularly bad scenes, so just take a look at the second cutscene in the game.(He's the dark haired one)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeB0...utu.be&t=1m25s

EDIT:
    The next scene is a much better example
    http://youtu.be/PcP3qnvVUlc?t=1m35s
    Last edited by mlaskus; 31-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.