Page 384 of 594 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386394434484 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 11866

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GMG are going the Crysis 2 'lots of extra shit you don't need' edition for 4.99 (20% off code available for that) - and having spend 4-5 hours playing Tomb Raider I'd like to try a game which is just an unashamed shooter and not a puzzle game pretending to be one.

Question is tho - is Crysis 2's SP worth bothering with or is it a tutorial which takes place in a long corridor with pretty murals on it? :)

Would I be better off breaking my Far Cry duck with FC2 which I've owned for eons and never installed???

Also - Gog have HOMM3 on sale and I'm regularly told is the best game of it's type ever made - would anyone care to back that up or debunk it? Compare, if you will, to Kings Bounty...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    GMG are going the Crysis 2 'lots of extra shit you don't need' edition for 4.99 (20% off code available for that) - and having spend 4-5 hours playing Tomb Raider I'd like to try a game which is just an unashamed shooter and not a puzzle game pretending to be one.

Question is tho - is Crysis 2's SP worth bothering with or is it a tutorial which takes place in a long corridor with pretty murals on it? :)

Would I be better off breaking my Far Cry duck with FC2 which I've owned for eons and never installed???

Also - Gog have HOMM3 on sale and I'm regularly told is the best game of it's type ever made - would anyone care to back that up or debunk it? Compare, if you will, to Kings Bounty...
    There's probably more chance you'll enjoy Crysis 2 at least to some extent, but there's more chance you'll find something special in FarCry 2. The people who like FC2 tend to love it and have memories from it, while I've never heard anyone say anything more about Crysis 2 than "It wasn't bad, and finally the aliens didn't suck".

Personally I left Crysis 2 midway through and haven't been back yet, as there wasn't much pull. Whereas I'm on record plenty of times as saying FarCry 2 is my favourite FPS of all times and universes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Crysis 2 Wot I Think tells it like it is.

I was disappointed at launch. It has a very strange atmopshere and presentation. It takes a while to click. There's something unlikeable about it, it sort of reminds me of Prototype.

The first third is not that great (I appreciate it more after a couple of playthroughs but the pacing is horrible).
    The middle third, especially the dusk and night levels, is one of the best FPS games ever made. It's a batshit insane spectacle featuring giant death robots, flying alien machines, collapsing skyscrapers, a tsunami - and more.
    The final third is the worst. Before that the game keeps escalating, it feels like you're reaching the end... and then it just keeps going. It's like you jump straight into an expansion. It's no Warhead though.

It honestly doesn't feel like the Frankfurt team was in charge of the whole game, there's a huge quality difference between the three sections.
    It's the worst game in the series but it's worth playing for those amazing middle sections.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar

I am a big fan of the Crysis series. Crysis 2 isn't a corridor shooter, but it is what you would expect from shootouts in city streets and office buildings: Not many opportunities for stealth (outside of using the cloak), but a lot of cover to duck behind and return fire from. There is no "take cover" button, but it does have a really nice system for cover by which if you aim down the ironsights while at the edge of a cover/a corner you lean in the appropriate direction.

That being said, the SP campaign is a worthwhile one and I found it to be better than Crysis 1's. Good set pieces, fun enemies (even the Ceph are pretty fun, so long as you are good at headshots), and the suit is really fun.
    Last edited by gundato; 08-03-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I like how the Ceph jelly parts explode. It's so satisfying.

HoMM3 is considered the best, mechanically. The graphics are very much an acquired taste. It also tends to be brutally difficult in the campaign, especially in the expansions.
    HoMM4 was hated when it was released because it changed quite a bit. It has pretty good writing, actually. I keep saying that but I think nobody ever believes me about that. Never played the expansions.

Also, the only proper way to play HoMM is as Necropolis.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Thanks Dextro! :D

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    HoMM3 is considered the best, mechanically. The graphics are very much an acquired taste. It also tends to be brutally difficult in the campaign, especially in the expansions.
    HoMM4 was hated when it was released because it changed quite a bit. It has pretty good writing, actually. I keep saying that but I think nobody ever believes me about that. Never played the expansions.

Also, the only proper way to play HoMM is as Necropolis.
    HoMM3 has a respectable amount of graphics, at least in my opinion. You could say it's the pinnacle of 2D, the maps are rich in details and content and a joy to look at. HoMM4 was ok, but not that enjoyable, partly because of the mechanics (do I remember properly that the heroes could get killed in a battle?) but also because of the switch to 3D which was quite ugly at the time.

HoMM5 is also disliked by many, but I thought it was really good, both in the visual department and gameplay-wise. Haven't tried the latest one, maybe someone else can chime in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The issue I have Heroes of Massively Multiplayer games is that unless played in multiplayer they are about bullshit map triggers and auto spawn. The aim get free units so hitting the opponents economy doesn't work, they don't always seem to get challenged by neutral units like you'd hope. And then Kings Bounty made me hate the series by being simultaneously better(charm, unit types, opacity) and far worse(grind, balance).

In fact, I'll scrap my preconceptions.

Which HoMM would best suit PBEM? I'll get it and play it over dropbox with some RPS sorts.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Well, there's grind in HoMM as well, and quite a lot if you want to collect all the bonuses and the free armies and then ship them to your actual heroes. In King's Bounty you need to get rid of countless neutral stacks which is a pain (especially if your goal is to not lose a single unit). In the end I played KB much more due to charm and variety, as the balance is a useless concept in SP anyway. Still, I enjoyed the time I had with HoMM3/5.

As for your question, do you like to customize your heroes? In 5 you have some freedom to choose which skills they recieve, and you can aim for the "ultimate" ones going by this.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I was thinking of getting the Sword of the Stars complete collection (1 & 2) on GG, wondering why it was $4.99 while SotS 2 was $4.98 when suddenly the collection price changed to $6.23. Good old GG. Anyway, it's 75% off this weekend, now with a list price of $24.95 instead of $19.95. I need to learn to jump on these mistakes faster.
    I passed on this for the GOG strategy promo. Happened to check to see if it was still on sale, and the complete collection is 50% off, but now with a list price of $39.95 instead of $24.95. SotS 2 now has a list price of $29.95 instead of $19.95. I really don't like Gamersgate.

GOG are doing a rather nice little promo with lots of games reduced to 2$. Capsized, Pid and Grimrock (3$) are good picks. Also I think King's Bounty Crossworlds Goatee DRM-free for 5$ is worth consideration!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    GOG are doing a rather nice little promo with lots of games reduced to 2$. Capsized, Pid and Grimrock (3$) are good picks. Also I think King's Bounty Crossworlds Goatee DRM-free for 5$ is worth consideration!
    Wow, some good deals there. For what it is worth I actually really enjoyed Alan Wake on my xbox, although it goes on for too long. A game my girlfriend enjoyed watching me play, for what that's worth :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I just picked up The Witcher, the two Sam and Max games, A New Beginning: Final Cut and Pid from that GOG offer. I wanted to get Runaway 3 but I'd want to play the first two before that and that's $40 of games that I'm not even sure I'd like. So I didn't get it. Considered BTTF but I didn't want to spend much more than 10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Steam has been running a semi-hidden 'Arcania + Gothic Pack' deal for a while that's set to last till the end of the week.

Full pack €12,50. Single games as below:

Arcania - €5
    ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif - €3,75
    Gothic II: Gold Edition - €2,50
    Gothic 3 - €2,50
    Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition - €2,50
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    SotS 2 now has a list price of $29.95 instead of $19.95. I really don't like Gamersgate.
    The law requires they sell the game at the higher price BEFORE the sale - they're doing it wrong :)

There's an irony that supermarkets and big box retailers are caught cheating at sales all the time but online stores which can be tracked very easily are not (arguably they'd probably say the laws don't apply to them)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The law requires they sell the game at the higher price BEFORE the sale - they're doing it wrong :)

There's an irony that supermarkets and big box retailers are caught cheating at sales all the time but online stores which can be tracked very easily are not (arguably they'd probably say the laws don't apply to them)
    Do you know which law? Because I know a lot of DD services start a game off at "x% off" for pre-order and first week sales. So the game is never actually sold at the full price until a week or two later.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wanted to like King's Bounty, but it seemed to me like the optimal way to play was to fight a battle, travel back to whereever, replace casualties, and go to the next fight. It ended up being a lot of back and forth that I didn't care for. Was I doing it wrong? When ever I was up against ranged troops I inevitable took casualties.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    How does Binary Domain fare as a two player co-op title?