Page 403 of 571 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413453503 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,060 of 11407

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Let's say I was interested in a Silent Hunter game, should I go straight to 5 or is it one of those where newer isn't always better?
    I could never really get into the Silent Hunters, but be warned that 5 uses UPlay in its worst form (the one that actually streams content off the servers). So unless you have a stable connection, don't go past 4.

4 was a pretty big graphical update over 3. 3 is still playable, but it definitely looks dated. 4 is sexy, and 5 is sexier (visually).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Silent Hunter 5 was awful upon release and as far as I'm aware had rubbish tutorial. Silent Hunter 3 is supposed to be great and very complete + there is a mod out for it that updates a lot of stuff.

I hear 4's good too, and has the middle ground between usability and graphics.

As I said, 5 was supposed to be very poo upon release, though I think there are quite a few people saying it's quite good now since most issues are fixed.

Up to you really, 3, 4 or 5 have all got things going for them. For what it's worth, my dad was able to get into Silent Hunter 5 and he's not really a gamer so it might be worth a shot. Not sure what the state of the DRM is, I assume it's Uplay.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Wow, am I glad I asked (Answer: yes)! I think I'll probably pass, it's not like I'll play them anyway, but I do like the thought of having yet another type of vehicle sim ready to go should I ever feel the need, and these are cheaaaaap. Hmm.

Both 4 and 5 say Tages DRM, and that's a big black mark against them. Summary: Most likely no buy.

Thanks chaps. Thaps.

Silent Hunter 3 and the Grey Wolves mod is the definitive SH experience

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I believe SH3 also has the definitive "Das Boot" mod and so - what the hell else would you need!?

ALARM!

Now - Dishonored, it's time I leapt-in and it's half-price on Steam this w/e - not the cheapest it's been but the DLC is included in the sale (isn't usually) and - err - worth it?

Looks interesting to me...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I believe SH3 also has the definitive "Das Boot" mod and so - what the hell else would you need!?

ALARM!

Now - Dishonored, it's time I leapt-in and it's half-price on Steam this w/e - not the cheapest it's been but the DLC is included in the sale (isn't usually) and - err - worth it?

Looks interesting to me...
    If you want Thief 4 or Splinter Cell 6: It isn't that

Stealth-wise, I would compare it more to a Metal Gear Solid in that you CAN ghost everywhere, but it isn't anywhere near as fun as getting caught and fighting your way out.

That being said: If what you want is a damned fine narrative with a (mostly) successful attempt at making it feel like your actions have consequences, give it a shot. I loved it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    True words! It also doesn't look bad at all.

Concur......

Stealth-wise, I would compare it more to a Metal Gear Solid in that you CAN ghost everywhere, but it isn't anywhere near as fun as getting caught and fighting your way out.
    Speaking of Metal gear... I played the third one recently... Sneaking was really hard... I finished most maps either by killing lots of dudes or running away and hiding...

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Now - Dishonored...worth it?
    I was wondering this, mostly because the minimum specs claim 4Gb is necessary, whereas my aged and unlikely-to-be-upgraded-any-time-soon I-hesitate-to-dignify-it-with-the-label-"rig" has only 2. Does that mean I would be entirely unable to play the game, or just that I'd have to turn all the knobs right down and my whales would look like crude cubist approximations?
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    a damned fine narrative with a (mostly) successful attempt at making it feel like your actions have consequences, give it a shot. I loved it.
    I couldn't disagree more. I found the narrative to be extremely predictable and bland , mostly thanks to the terrible voice acting, and the logic behind the chaos system is as arbitrary as it gets. The game is worth it because of the level design and the mechanics alone, but the story is nowhere near good.
    Last edited by SirDavies; 12-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I was wondering this, mostly because the minimum specs claim 4Gb is necessary, whereas my aged and unlikely-to-be-upgraded-any-time-soon I-hesitate-to-dignify-it-with-the-label-"rig" has only 2. Does that mean I would be entirely unable to play the game, or just that I'd have to turn all the knobs right down and my whales would look like crude cubist approximations?
    The former, probably. Those minimum specs exist for a reason.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The former, probably. Those minimum specs exist for a reason.
    The required specs of Dishonored were strongly inflated I dare to say. Probably to please the PC crowd and make the impression that the game on PC will be much more graphically advanced than on the consoles.

It supposedly requires Vista or later Windows but works just fine on XP without any tweaking. It supposedly requires a GeForce GTX 460 as a minimum but works just fine without any issues on 8800 GT. I think this video is not spoof, it supposedly shows you how it runs with under required specs just fine (and there are others): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ya7xsmN9hM

It is an Unreal 3 engine game, if you can run some others of those I am rather certain Dishonored will not cause you trouble.

EDIT:

Also several posts claim to run it without trouble on 2GB RAM systems, see here for example: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/di...285.452703038/ , http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...136213&page=36

In short - go get it.
    Last edited by Pabraw; 12-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    The amount of RAM wouldn't impact visual quality to a great extent, anyway. Worst thing I can imagine is that you'll experience some form of "loading stutter" more frequently or suffer from prolonged loading times in general.

As Pabraw already said, Dishonored isn't particularly demanding and it ran absolutely fine on my elderly system (which exceeds the system requirements, mind you).

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    The amount of RAM wouldn't impact visual quality to a great extent, anyway. Worst thing I can imagine is that you'll experience some form of "loading stutter" more frequently or suffer from prolonged loading times in general.

As Pabraw already said, Dishonored isn't particularly demanding and it ran absolutely fine on my elderly system (which exceeds the system requirements, mind you).
    That's certainly not the worst thing I can imagine. RAM is not only used for loading level textures and the like, but also NPCs and their patrol paths. So you might run into problems when you reach areas larger than the prison with many more NPCs. On the other hand, it's a console port, so they must have gotten it to run on 256 megs minimum. It's unlikely that you'll run into game-breaking problems with 2 gigs of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabraw View Post
    The required specs of Dishonored were strongly inflated I dare to say. Probably to please the PC crowd and make the impression that the game on PC will be much more graphically advanced than on the consoles.
    Inflating the minimum specs to appeal to core games sounds like the stupidest marketing strategy ever. I think they're just covering their asses in the event that people wouldn't be able to run their game on lower specs.
    Last edited by LTK; 12-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Obscure Node
    The streets of Dunwall are in general rather empty and even the fortress type buildings are not too crowded. It suits well with the theme of a decaying city but the reason for it might indeed be in the memory limit of the consoles (and especially the PS3 with itīs 256 meg dedicated RAM).

The issue of vanishing corpses on PC (the limit of simultaneously allowed corpses could be raised in some .ini) was certainly due to that, as is probably the case with vanishing corpses of mutants in Rage.

As to the reason of inflating - yeah, certainly the publishers rather go to the safe side and exaggerate just in case. But in the case of Dishonored I assume there still was a bit of bluffing to please involved.

If you look at the comments on latter PC requirements reveals the higher requirements are usually met with more praise and low ones with damning the consoles.

When Dishonored specs did not contain support for XP and mentioned something about being optimised for 64-bit systems, this got thumbs up in the comments for finally letting go of the old technology.

Whereas at the same time people were wondering why the requirements still stayed at Direct X 9.0 ...
    Last edited by Pabraw; 12-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In Min Spec terms - a 8800GT is probably not-far-off-as-powerful as a GTX460 ;)

RAM is all about minimising stutter - getting everything loaded before you need it - so the worst case would be longer loading times and FPS drops whilst it's trying to keep-up.

If you were using XP it would matter less but W7 needs just under/over 1Gb to "do it's thing" so you don't have much left for the game.

I've been looking at game memory use a bit recently and most modern games seem to easily eat 2-3Gb of RAM - which is why they ask for 4Gb and why it's now becoming possible to see benefits to having more than 4Gb.

It will probably work in 2Gb - just shutdown EVERYTHING ELSE including browsers (especially browsers), AV, chat clients, music players and other tasktray shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Probably true, but there's a lot to be said for SH4 with Trigger Maru as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Fuel for 3€ on GMG.
    There is a new version of FUEL:REFUELED mod out, can't wait to try PC's Motorstorm.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/pt/e...s/racing/fuel/
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?