Page 415 of 609 FirstFirst ... 315365405413414415416417425465515 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,300 of 12163

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Was it not on sale for € 6.24 on the Square Enix Store for the last two weeks or something?
    Unfortunately they don't accept blue coins...

And don't forget to use "elder-geek.com" for those extra 5% (I used it twice already, so I don't think there is a limitation).

Network Hub
    Double Fine Humble Bundle!

PWYW for:
    - Psychonauts + soundtrack
    - Stacking
    - Costume Quest

Pay more than average for:
    - Brütal Legend + soundtrack

Pay $35 or more for:
    - Broken Age

Pay $70 or more for:
    - A T-shirt

Seems like a good deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Shift 2 and other Needs for Speed are on Sale on Steam.

Shift 2 is 12€ in here, the twats(EAmpire). How does it compare with GRID?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    the twats(EAmpire)
    LAWSUIT!

If you want a Grid-like game, isn't it better to just wait for Grid 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    LAWSUIT!

Not necessarily, Grid 2 doesn't look like it'll be all that much like the first game. Shift 2 is alright but Shift was better in my opinion, Shift 2 has weird physics which don't really match up to sim, arcade or anywhere in-between so most people I know who've played it conclude that it makes the cars very unpredictable at first. Also the cars look... Weird. At least for me they do, as if they're all covered in Vaseline or something. Compared to Grid I'd say... Hmm, Grid is better, but NFS: Shift is better than Grid too (again, that's my opinion). If you're playing with a wheel, Shift is all you need when it comes to pseudo-GT/Forza-alikes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Shift2 is OK but it shares some of the problems it has with Shift - the main one being that it's trying to be too many things.

They've tried to make an arcade and near-sim game at the same time - the result is that it's not really great at either.

The stock settings for a pad, for example, are appalling - I've spent HOURS getting those to work.

At least Shift2 doesn't have the original's APPALLING drift events - it has it's own, less appalling ones :)

Both are worth the cost here if you like driving games but be prepared to spend ages getting the controls setup and it's also pretty punishing on hardware (it uses Physx so nVidia cards may fair better than AMD)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    If you're playing with a wheel, Shift is all you need when it comes to pseudo-GT/Forza-alikes.
    I guess i need to buy shift 1, I bought shift 2 assuming it would be simply better.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I guess i need to buy shift 1, I bought shift 2 assuming it would be simply better.
    It really is - but it's more punishing on hardware which can be an issue.

If you didn't like Shift2 - you won't like Shift for sure.

As for Grid2 - I noticed some Recommended Specs for it today which said Core I7/Bulldozer and some fairly peaky GPUs (and 4GB ram) so I suspect it will repeat Grid's trick of melting your PC in a massive way.

I'll pass for now then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It really is - but it's more punishing on hardware which can be an issue.

If you didn't like Shift2 - you won't like Shift for sure.
    I liked Shift 2, but it felt kinda "empty" like many "skill racers" do. Grid felt vibrant and alive however, I wont be buying Grid 2 because in car view (I don't need a wheel or an interior, just the perspective of being where the driver would be) is a key feature to me. I learned to drive in games in first person with a mouse and keyboard, not being able to use a mouse to look around (see operation flashpoint's non Bohemia sequels) is an equally unforgivable sin.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I don't know, I didn't like Shift 2 but I do like - and still play (from time to time) - Shift. It might be worth pointing out there are tyre physics mods for Shift 2 which remove the weird floaty unpredictable feeling (that Shift didn't have), but I have no idea how you install them because you need to "unpack" the game and I think the tools with which to do so are no longer available, or it's too much of a slog for me to be bothered when I could just play something else.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "empty", to me Grid and Shift were very similar (though I felt Grid's AI was a bit shitter than Shift's) and Shift 2 was a step in the wrong direction because of the floaty physics which feel nothing like any other game or sim. I honestly haven't played it that much, but what I did play wasn't fun because I was trying to work out how my car would respond to an input, whereas in any other game or sim you either know or you work it out after a lap or two. Shift 2 just kept me guessing, so I dropped it quite quickly.

At the end of the day though, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I love point to point racing so Grid's touge events (and Dirt's hill climbs, but that's another matter) were great. I love modifying cars so Shift's Works mods were fun to try out (I think the Works AE86 is possibly more nuts than any AE86 you can make in Forza 4), and I... Err... Yeah, I should really give Shift 2 another try so I can remember why I dropped it so quickly. All I know is when I last tried it I was very much of the opinion that Shift was better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    LAWSUIT!
    I liked Shift 2, but it felt kinda "empty" like many "skill racers" do. Grid felt vibrant and alive however, I wont be buying Grid 2 because in car view (I don't need a wheel or an interior, just the perspective of being where the driver would be) is a key feature to me. I learned to drive in games in first person with a mouse and keyboard, not being able to use a mouse to look around (see operation flashpoint's non Bohemia sequels) is an equally unforgivable sin.
    This is really ridiculous, the cockpit view stuff. I won't buy GRID 2 because of this. 5% of users they say? That's how many million monies? Codies can stuff their EGO where the weather effects don't shine.

So, the consensus is that Shift 2 isn't worth it, since I don't have a wheel, just a pad. Even worse the extortionist price EA is charging here. It's 5$ on the States. I'll keep trying to drive a Koenigsegg in a straight line then.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    So, the consensus is that Shift 2 isn't worth it, since I don't have a wheel, just a pad.
    I didn't really like Shift so I passed on Shift 2, but from what I've gathered from other race-game enthusiasts Shift 2 went the more console-friendly route, which means you'll probably get the better experience (for what it's worth) on a gamepad than with a proper wheel.

I'd like to second the suggestion of GRID; I especially enjoyed its meta-game of building your team with sponsors, second drivers etc. and among these console-focussed racing games it's probably the one to get. There's better arcade and better actual sim games out there, but Codemasters has done a good job planting itself in this in-between land with titles like DiRT, F1 201x and of course GRID.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 08-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I loved shift because it was the only game where my steering wheel worked for and it has cockpit view, every racer needs a cockpit view.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Bethesda weekend over at gamersgate. Most if not all of it should be steamworks.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Bethesda weekend over at gamersgate. Most if not all of it should be steamworks.
    Gamersgate and a Bethesda sale - what could possibly go wrong eh?

Network Hub
    Anyone had a good poke at Hunted: The Demon's Forge? I think it was a console game first, anyone know if the PC port is anygood? £5 on Gamersgate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Anyone had a good poke at Hunted: The Demon's Forge? I think it was a console game first, anyone know if the PC port is anygood? £5 on Gamersgate now.
    I remember playing it at some pre-release event ages ago and it was quite bad. Might have improved since then but I would not bet on it.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Welp...Skyrim finally went down to a price I was willing to pay for it. Grabbed Dishonored too because why not.

And I was doing so well chipping at my mountain of unfinished Steam games. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Welp...Skyrim finally went down to a price I was willing to pay for it. Grabbed Dishonored too because why not.

And I was doing so well chipping at my mountain of unfinished Steam games. :(
    Hah, Skyrim is €14.95 at gamersgate.com and £7.49 = about €9 at gamersgate.co.uk. Let's see if they let me choose...

Edit: It works! elder-geek.com works too, thanks RPS'ers!
    Last edited by Velko; 09-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Hah, Skyrim is €14.95 at gamersgate.com and £7.49 = about €9 at gamersgate.co.uk. Let's see if they let me choose...

Edit: It works! elder-geek.com works too, thanks RPS'ers!
    The same goes for Dishono(u)red. elder-geek.com didn't work in combination with my 20 % off comp. bonus (oh, boo-hoo) and they're out of serial keys, but I can't complain for £6. GG has had some nice deals recently. I've bought three games there since last week. This week? I'm bad with time.