Page 438 of 571 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440448488538 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 11409

Thread: PC Bargains

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    I really urge everyone to buy King of Dragon Pass for $3 on GoG.
    It's one of the best games of all time and an impressive showcase of procedural narration where you get immersed in incredibly well-written stories of betrayal, love, friendship I've yet to experience in another game... all that in a solid and uncomplicated management game.

It's all 2D static art with walls of text so it aged pretty well, the UI is a pleasure to use, and it's a masterpiece everyone interested in videogames should play in his life.
    I'm sorry to spam it, and I'm sorry for everyone who bought it after I recommended it...
    But it's even cheaper now ! $1.49 for the best game you'll ever play !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, KoDP really is a masterpiece. Unfortunately, only the iOS version currently is maintained (there was a patch for it this week that added several new encounters, etc.).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yeah, KoDP really is a masterpiece. Unfortunately, only the iOS version currently is maintained (there was a patch for it this week that added several new encounters, etc.).
    I'd like more than anything an Android port.
    If they kickstarted it or something I'd kick in a few hundred dollars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    It's my understanding that the iOS version is also substantially easier than the base game, for better or worse.

It's a shame that A-Sharp doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing to support the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It's a shame that A-Sharp doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing to support the original game.
    There's an attempt to explain why this would be difficult over on the developer's blog - apparently the UI would have to be rewritten, if I'm reading it right:
    http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.ie/...ure-redux.html

That said, they do seem more open to an Android version at some point in the future than they have been. The main KoDP site says "Porting would be a major project, so we’re evaluating the possibility. (We are open to licensing to an Android developer.)" It seems as if change is possible.

It's a really interesting game, so I hope for an Android port and perhaps someday updates to the Windows version, as I still have no iDevice. The GoG version is perfectly playable, but I should really print out the manual or take notes.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Regarding the GOG sale I second the King of Dragon Pass recommendation, though I'd suggest watching a Let's Play first. There's good stuff out there and it gives a decent feel for the game.

I'm looking for opinions on:
    - Miasmata (I remember the WoT was along the lines of good ideas, bad execution?)
    - Inquisitor
    - Driftmoon
    - The Cat Lady
    - Zafehouse Diaries
    - Waking Mars
    - Strike Suit Zero

All of them 7/10?
    Thank you minions!

Also boooo to GOG for not putting Wiz8 on sale.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 21-06-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    There's an attempt to explain why this would be difficult over on the developer's blog - apparently the UI would have to be rewritten, if I'm reading it right:
    http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.ie/...ure-redux.html
    I'd be more sympathetic to that position if the same article didn't make it clear that they'd already completely rewritten the interface for iOS, and indeed chose to do so in an iOS only format. When that decision was made, the effect was to exclude the original customer base, as well as Android users.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Regarding the GOG sale I second the King of Dragon Pass recommendation, though I'd suggest watching a Let's Play first. There's good stuff out there and it gives a decent feel for the game.

- Inquisitor
    I only got as far as the end of the first chapter/town, but it has REALLY good dialogue and quests and REALLY bad combat. I have ranted on it at great length, but it is summed up by:
    It is "old school" in that you constantly chug potions and the game is really unbalanced. Of course, when you actually go back and play the games that really were "old school" you realize that Inquisitor just has piss-poor combat

Eventually I'll go through and just cheat my way through the game so I can enjoy the plot and dialogue and investigation without getting frustrated at the clickfest of brown enemies on brown backgrounds

- Strike Suit Zero
    I enjoyed this, but it to Freespace as Bulletstorm is to Unreal. It is fun, but it isn't about dogfighting. It is about manipulating enemies to maximize your combo string.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

- Waking Mars
    Waking Mars is some beautiful 'light' sci-fi with a ton of personality, and in my opinion it really captures that sense of wonder you get from exploring an alien planet. More importantly, it's absolutely unique in its approach of playing the role of an astronaut and a scientist. The animation may be somewhat lackluster but that was no detriment to my enjoyment at all. Highly recommended.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I only got as far as the end of the first chapter/town, but it has REALLY good dialogue and quests and REALLY bad combat. I have ranted on it at great length, but it is summed up by:
    It is "old school" in that you constantly chug potions and the game is really unbalanced. Of course, when you actually go back and play the games that really were "old school" you realize that Inquisitor just has piss-poor combat
    I just realized that I had confused it with Lionheart (which in turn I remembered as being a cRPG...), I don't think I really need another action-rpg atm.

A quote from one of Inquisitor's reviews:
    Combat makes up about 75% of Inquisitor's gameplay, and it is horrendously bad. It basically plays out similarly to Arcanum's real-time mode
    Yeah, I'll pass. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 22-06-2013 at 01:46 AM.

- Driftmoon
    I really like Driftmoon. It's a linear actiony RPG, pretty much single-character although you'll have NPCs in your party from time to time. It's mostly well-written, and there are plenty of surprises (I felt). I don't remember any hard puzzles. Combat is pauseable real-time. I like the graphics and the top-down view, but I think some people find them off-putting, so you might want to watch a trailer or Let's Play.

I guess it's not a difficult game, although I did die at some points and at times it keeps you on your toes, but I got a lot of fun out of exploration and the story.

- Waking Mars
    The caves are gorgeous, and moving around with a jet pack through them is a lot of fun. I thought the way some of the creatures moved was really well done.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

http://www.getloadedgo.com/

2 for $15

• Dishonored
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Deluxe
    • Doom 3 BFG
    • Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY
    • Fallout 3: GOTY
    • Hunted: The Demons Forge
    • Brink
    • RAGE
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    so you might want to watch a trailer or Let's Play.
    There's a demo, too: http://www.instantkingdom.com/driftmoon/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

GMG has a deal on Deus Ex, Deus Ex GOTY as a Steam key and the Missing Link are 1.74€ a piece, pretty much the lowest prices I've seen, IIRC.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I hate the way GOG does their seasonal sales. You want to buy this one game on sale? Well, it's only really on sale if you buy these 5 other games that you own somewhere else or don't want!" You'd think they'd actually sell more if they just let people buy the games they want to buy. I can't believe many people spend like $20 on games they don't really want in order to save a couple of bucks on a game they do want.

Of course they don't, that would be stupid. I've been waiting for PS:T to go on sale on GOG, and yesterday it was discounted 50% along with other D&D titles, with the whole package being 80% off. Obviously, if you don't want the whole package, you're still getting a 50% discount on each game individually, and the 80% discount is just there for people who do want the whole bunch at a ludicrous price. You can't rightfully complain about them not offering you games for even less money.

Thing with GoG is when i buy off them it gives a dollar price, I work that out into real money (£) but when they charge my bank it is never that amount I pay. So really if I want to buy from there I never know what I am paying.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    I hate the way GOG does their seasonal sales. You want to buy this one game on sale? Well, it's only really on sale if you buy these 5 other games that you own somewhere else or don't want!" You'd think they'd actually sell more if they just let people buy the games they want to buy. I can't believe many people spend like $20 on games they don't really want in order to save a couple of bucks on a game they do want.
    Except they are still on sale otherwise. It is just 50% vs 75%.

Steam does the same crap (most of the time) with their bundle deals as well.

The trick is that you have to be a big boy and actually figure out if you want to buy the game(s) at 75% off, or buy a few more to get 50% off. I actually like the approach as it encourages me to try titles I would otherwise skip if the difference ends up being +/- 1 dollar or so (if it would cost me more than a dollar difference, I just grab what I want at 50% off).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I don't really mind the Gog bundle system and I especially like that if you own some games of the bundle, you're not forced to buy them again. You'll still get the discount for other games minus the games you already own.
    I'm quite sure you're forced to buy everything on Steam, even if you own some of the games, right? I haven't experienced it myself but will the games you already own be given as gifts on Steam?