Page 450 of 578 FirstFirst ... 350400440448449450451452460500550 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 9,000 of 11552

Thread: PC Bargains

Network Hub
    How is Survivor's Squad ? Is it in really really early alpha ? Is it fun, is it varied ?

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Standard disclaimer is that it's VERY VERY VERY moody about newer GPUs - the core game remained buggy/flakey on any moderately recent setup until the release of the latest DLC and even then it's not perfect.

Also it's a UPlay title and has some online-required aspects (it IS playable offline but there are perks to playing online)
    Oh yeah, I own Anno 2070. Uplay elements make it better if the connection is there, and it doesn't do much more than complaining and not allowing you to use your stuff from your Ark when it isn't. I think I'll pass on Heroes VI though, I've checked some reviews and it doesn't do anything that isn't done better by Heroes III.

I was thinking of buying need for speed hot persuit, but then I realized it's not the latest nfs game. I was thinking of most wanted all along.
    Is it still worth buiying it or should I wait for most wanted to get cheaper?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    After burnout I was expecting good things from hot pursuit. After few hours racing samey tracks against rubber band AI I never went back. Maybe I never got to the meat of the challenges, but the punitive measures the police players suffer are absurd.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    I wasn't too impressed by it, either. Some of those pursuit events are genuinely fun, the majority of the races unfortunately feel like busywork, though. I'm aware that driving physics is a matter of subjectivity but in all honesty, I prefer Burnout's weaving-through-traffic-at-lightning-speed-with-jedi-like-skill approach.

There's also a wide-spread technical issue (seems to affect only dual core cpu's) where the framerate drops significantly in sharp turns, therefore making precise drifts very hard to pull off.

I finally gave up on it and re-installed Burnout Paradise instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yeah, I'd agree also. It's difficult to top Burnout Paradise, not even Most Wanted (the most recent NFS which is basically BP with real cars) matches it. There's just more to do and it's somehow more fun. I mean I did like Hot Pursuit and I think it's about good enough to pay that price for, but Burnout is cheaper (I often see it for 2.50) and better.

It just so happens that Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box is -70% on Steam for another 30 hours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Amazon.com is selling 48 SEGA games for $5

http://www.amazon.com/SEGA-48-Game-M.../dp/B006J97RSO

including all of the recommendations offered to me in my old "wot is best of sega?" thread so, that's good!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Amazon.com is selling 48 SEGA games for $5
    For a moment I pictured entering 48 codes into Steam !! - then I noticed there's only 12 separate items and they're just downloads which is probably for the best...

As they don't include Sub Terrania, they're not perfect tho

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree also. It's difficult to top Burnout Paradise, not even Most Wanted (the most recent NFS which is basically BP with real cars) matches it. There's just more to do and it's somehow more fun. I mean I did like Hot Pursuit and I think it's about good enough to pay that price for, but Burnout is cheaper (I often see it for 2.50) and better.
    NFS:HP pretty much depended on playing against the right people - it did not work if your skill levels varied too much or if you ended-up playing cheaters and it was dull-as-fuck in single player.

NFS:MW takes Burnout Paradise and improves it in almost every possible way EXCEPT that it's a bit less of a Burnout game (but then BP wasn't really a Burnout game either).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    NFS:MW takes Burnout Paradise and improves it in almost every possible way EXCEPT that it's a bit less of a Burnout game (but then BP wasn't really a Burnout game either).
    This ^ is so true for me I just quoted it to emphasise.

NFS:HP was a bit boring in single player but enjoyable enough for me. Some nice tracks in there, horrible rubber-banding AI.

NFS:MW was for me Burnout Paradise with much better track/city design. BP wasn't a good burnout game (for me!) as I had to look at the map during races due to the open world design being a bit too samey. I've never wanted a map-reading simulator, or play a racing game where I lose races because I got lost.

Burnout 2/3 are still the best, purest burnout games as they are point to point racing rather than this open-world stuff which gets you into the zone nicely doing 200mph into oncoming traffic, but it's somewhat irrelevant as they're not in PC-land :-(
    Edit/ Also, locked frame-rates on console! Essential for 'feel'. I locked MW to 60fps to keep the control response time static. Helped no end!
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agreed - the PC should have gotten some of the earlier Burnouts - hell they wasted time putting them on Sony's pointless portables, putting them on PC would have been a much better use of their time.

Burnout 2 and 3 are still fantastic games - someone should get on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Agreed - the PC should have gotten some of the earlier Burnouts - hell they wasted time putting them on Sony's pointless portables, putting them on PC would have been a much better use of their time.

Burnout 2 and 3 are still fantastic games - someone should get on it.
    It won't happen, of course, but this is a lovely idea. While they're (not) at it, they should port over NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 from the same era, which is still my all-time favorite from that series.

That said, the Crusader Kings 2 Collection featured on Gamersgate is not complete. It does not include The Old Gods and related cosmetic DLCs. The Gamersgate version is also not compatible with the Steam version so you can't just mix and match DLCs.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Thanks floks!
    I'll be skipping Hot Pursuit then.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That said, the Crusader Kings 2 Collection featured on Gamersgate is not complete. It does not include The Old Gods and related cosmetic DLCs. The Gamersgate version is also not compatible with the Steam version so you can't just mix and match DLCs.
    On the up side, the Gamersgate version is consequently the only version of CK2 that is not tied to the Steam client, so if that's something you value it's definitely the one you want.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    On the up side, the Gamersgate version is consequently the only version of CK2 that is not tied to the Steam client, so if that's something you value it's definitely the one you want.
    Even then the Steam version doesn't have CEG so it's movable and "backupable".
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    Even then the Steam version doesn't have CEG so it's movable and "backupable".
    That's nice, Paradox seems to be pretty good about that kind of thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Given your first point was referencing multiplayer I assume you're talking about multiplayer here? I only really played SP in MW so i can't comment. In SP, though, I found BP to be more fun than MW; it was just more relaxed and there was a lot of variety in the stuff you could occupy yourself with; you could set records on every road, do that crazy crash mode thing, drift like a crazy person (I can't recall even trying to drift in MW though actually), do events which included time trials, races, marked man, takedown events, hunt billboards/jumps/smashes... In MW it was limited to: Discover 'jackspots', beat jump records via smashing billboards, do five races for each car then grind the unlocks if you wished. Let's put it this way; I played Burnout Paradise for a weekend solid and finished all the events (except stunt runs, oh yeah, there's stunt runs too), but kept playing for a long time after that to unlock everything. Ok, fine, a lot of that time was spent in multiplayer unlocking the Carbon Uberschall 8 but, well, are there even any multiplayer-unlocked cars in MW? Genuine question, that might give me a reason to play online.

Actually, I have played MP in MW before. The first time I chose the Atom V8 while everyone else was in a Veyron or Koenigsegg and I won two races before the game crashed. The second time I tried it the interface completely disappeared after the first race so I was unable to actually do anything other than Alt-F4 it, so I haven't bothered since.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It won't happen, of course, but this is a lovely idea. While they're (not) at it, they should port over NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 from the same era, which is still my all-time favorite from that series.
    FYI, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 was released on the PC back then. I remember because I played the demo.
    Wikipedia backs me up on this.