Page 486 of 596 FirstFirst ... 386436476484485486487488496536586 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 11912

Thread: PC Bargains

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I liked zero and Veronica the best,might check out 6 then

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Honestly, I really liked RE6. Yes, there are some really stupid moments and it has QTEs, but it is a fun game. I disliked the Chris chapters, but I enjoyed the rest.
    I actually really liked all of it, Gears of Giant Bio-Engineered Monstrosities included. It is very, very stupid, but still a lot of fun, and damn, those thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars are definitely up there on screen. And despite how daft the plot is I got quite caught up in it regardless. The voice acting was good enough to sell the silliness - hell, I'd even call it excellent in places (I liked Jake and Sherry's banter quite a bit). One of my favourite games this year (the PC port was 2013, so I'm counting it).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Remember Me is 20€ in that sale. Has it ever been lower?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I actually really liked all of it, Gears of Giant Bio-Engineered Monstrosities included. It is very, very stupid, but still a lot of fun, and damn, those thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars are definitely up there on screen. And despite how daft the plot is I got quite caught up in it regardless. The voice acting was good enough to sell the silliness - hell, I'd even call it excellent in places (I liked Jake and Sherry's banter quite a bit). One of my favourite games this year (the PC port was 2013, so I'm counting it).
    Yeah, I think Jake and Sherry were REALLY well done. Was believable, both were strong-ish characters, and I found I just liked both of them. Every other team had at least one weak link (Leon hung out with Boobs McGee, Chris fucked up with Mini-Chris, Ada had Chunk), but both of them were fun characters.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Remember Me is 20€ in that sale. Has it ever been lower?
    Since nobody else has replied, ITAD says no.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    It might get lower during this weekend, though, if they feature it as a daily.

RE5 is one of the blandest things I've ever played (and I've played the entirety of Homefront, god help me). It chronicles Blandy "Biceps" Blanderton's struggle to save the people of Blandfrica from excitement and new ideas. The casual racism was pretty well designed though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    RE5 is one of the blandest things I've ever played (and I've played the entirety of Homefront, god help me). It chronicles Blandy "Biceps" Blanderton's struggle to save the people of Blandfrica from excitement and new ideas. The casual racism was pretty well designed though.
    I bought it on some Steam sale or other and was planning to give the casual racism a shot at some point (though personally I'd go with Yahtzee's "Oh, no, Capcom aren't racist. They're just stupid"), but after Resi 6 I'm sorry, I can never go back. Tank controls were dumb to start with and they're even dumber now there I said it. I cannot understand how people can argue intentionally strapping on giant lead snowshoes when there's absolutely no reason to do so makes something scarier. "Oh, God, a monster! If only there were something that would let me run away like a normal human being would do! Instead all I can do is stamp along in slow motion or sprint for freedom while occasionally veering into walls like a drunk!" Jeez.

Might pick up Revelations, though, especially if it goes down to 75%.

EDIT:

Yeah, I think Jake and Sherry were REALLY well done. Was believable, both were strong-ish characters, and I found I just liked both of them. Every other team had at least one weak link (Leon hung out with Boobs McGee, Chris fucked up with Mini-Chris, Ada had Chunk), but both of them were fun characters.
    I agree that the other teams had a weaker partner but I still found things to like about them, too. Helena was pretty shallow, but she was reasonably likeable and had some agency - to be honest, other than some minor fanservice (most of which was fairly mild, and the worst example hidden) I thought the game was surprisingly well-disposed towards the ladies. I wouldn't blame anyone for rolling their eyes at it but it never felt malicious, and hey, Jake got shirtless too.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 11-10-2013 at 10:38 AM.

I bought it on some Steam sale or other and was planning to give the casual racism a shot at some point (though personally I'd go with Yahtzee's "Oh, no, Capcom aren't racist. They're just stupid"), but after Resi 6 I'm sorry, I can never go back. Tank controls were dumb to start with and they're even dumber now there I said it. I cannot understand how people can argue intentionally strapping on giant lead snowshoes when there's absolutely no reason to do so makes something scarier. "Oh, God, a monster! If only there were something that would let me run away like a normal human being would do! Instead all I can do is stamp along in slow motion or sprint for freedom while occasionally veering into walls like a drunk!" Jeez.

Might pick up Revelations, though, especially if it goes down to 75%.

EDIT:

I agree that the other teams had a weaker partner but I still found things to like about them, too. Helena was pretty shallow, but she was reasonably likeable and had some agency - to be honest, other than some minor fanservice (most of which was fairly mild, and the worst example hidden) I thought the game was surprisingly well-disposed towards the ladies. I wouldn't blame anyone for rolling their eyes at it but it never felt malicious, and hey, Jake got shirtless too.
    Oh, I didn't say I didn't like Helena. She was interesting and it was nice to have someone with a personal stake rather than "Well, more monsters, let's get killing", even if she was somewhat weakly written. I just found it hilarious how every scene tried to emphasize her massive boobs. Especially in contrast to Jake and Sherry where, while there was a bit of "fanservice" thrown in, both were focused on as characters first. Hell, I suspect the devs wanted to make the entire game about Jake and Sherry (they are the ones who best handle the co-op gameplay and they actually have branching paths, rather than "Okay, you hold the door while I kill") but were told they couldn't because people would want some of the returning cast.

And yeah, while I never saw Yahtzee's review, I am inclined to agree regarding RE5. The game is not racist, people are just morons. The game was set in Africa, of COURSE you are going to shoot a bunch of African people (and not everyone can be the villain from Lethal Weapon 2). That being said, Capcom really ARE stupid for setting it there at all as they should have known better.

Well, I guess Wesker could have made it a point to import a multicultural task force that he could infect but this was probably easier.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And yeah, while I never saw Yahtzee's review, I am inclined to agree regarding RE5. The game is not racist, people are just morons. The game was set in Africa, of COURSE you are going to shoot a bunch of African people (and not everyone can be the villain from Lethal Weapon 2). That being said, Capcom really ARE stupid for setting it there at all as they should have known better.
    Ah, no no no, you misunderstand, I don't think people had no reason to get upset, I'm saying Capcom are the guilty party, they're just stupidly insensitive rather than waving their KKK membership cards around. (That's what I understood Yahtzee's review to mean.) Of course you'd expect to shoot quite a few black people if the T-virus or whatever got loose in rural Africa, I'm not contesting that. But I'd hope a game which dealt with this would try not to present said infected black people in arguably the exact same way as racist colonial media used to demonise dem awful, awful negroes with their jungle jibber-jabber and stealing all our wimmenz, in cartoons, films, comic books, whatever. Or to present the one "good" black character (or at least the one you can actually play) as a sexed-up, mixed-race, coffee-skinned supermodel who's conspicuously very different to all the rest of them. And so on.

I'm as sheltered English suburban whitebread as they come, so I don't like to go for YOUR GAME IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO ENJOYS IT SHOULD FEEL BAD. I owned Resi 5 on PS3 way back when, and quite liked what I played of it, though I never finished it. Got to the ooga-booga village of cartoon jungle natives, if I remember right. I don't think it's a completely black and white deal (pardon the awful pun) and I don't think Capcom acted at all maliciously. But I do think they jumped into development without really thinking their story and setting through, plus they should have realised this kind of thing was going to touch on some pretty uncomfortable issues. Nothing I saw of the game suggests it even crossed their minds, much less that they were trying to address it (Christ, even something like the story behind the zombie movie The Dead would have been a start).
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 11-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Ah, no no no, you misunderstand, I don't think people had no reason to get upset, I'm saying Capcom are the guilty party, they're just stupidly insensitive rather than waving their KKK membership cards around. (That's what I understood Yahtzee's review to mean.) Of course you'd expect to shoot quite a few black people if the T-virus or whatever got loose in rural Africa, I'm not contesting that. But I'd hope a game which dealt with this would try not to present said infected black people in arguably the exact same way as racist colonial media used to demonise dem awful, awful negroes with their jungle jibber-jabber and stealing all our wimmenz, in cartoons, films, comic books, whatever. Or to present the one "good" black character (or at least the one you can actually play) as a sexed-up, mixed-race, coffee-skinned supermodel who's conspicuously very different to all the rest of them. And so on.
    So that means that all dark skinned zombies need to wear monocles and tophats and be perfectly eloquent? Because apparently that is the only way it wouldn't be racist.

If they were fighting against armies of witch doctors and tribesmen, I would be more sympathetic. But these were zombies. ZOMBIES. They are supposed to moan and groan and murder the shit out of people en masse (whether they are fast or slow is up for debate).

Or are we now saying it is inherently racist to have a dark skinned person as the villain, period? Was Serenity racist because The Operative was a mustache twirling villain who just happened to be portrayed by a guy with dark skin?

Also, the only "good" black character as Not-Jill? The hell is wrong with you. Captain Josh Stone was awesome :p. And Not-Jill (and Jill, for that matter...), while portrayed horribly, was a different problem (the depiction of women in video games) and had nothing to do with race.

But I do think they jumped into development without really thinking their story and setting through, plus they should have realised this kind of thing was going to touch on some pretty uncomfortable issues.
    Agreed. I don't think they did anything wrong, other than assuming people were more mature than they are.

Got to the ooga-booga village of cartoon jungle natives
    Yeah, the problem wasn't, as some said, that you have to shoot dark-skinned zombies. The problem was exactly that - the ooga-booga village, where it was clear that the devs had nothing but stereotypes as ideas for what the people were like before they became zombies.

And people can do racist things without being racists. Most racism (sexism, homophobia) probably comes from people who aren't even aware they're doing it. There probably wasn't anyone on the RE5 team who hates people from Africa, but there are obviously some people on the RE5 team who have no idea how to not depict people from Africa like cartoons from the 1950s, so, they made a game that has some racist parts to it. On purpose or not, doesn't really matter.

Anyway, thank goodness it was in such an unremarkable game and everyone involved has probably been sealed away in a vault somewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Green Man Gaming are running a couple offers at the moment:

1) https://goldenjoysticks.greenmangaming.com/ - Register or use your existing GMG details, proceed to vote on the Golden Joystiq Awards, recive a FREE copy of either Mafia II or CivV

2) Similar to GetGames' GetLoadedGo 2x12 offer, GMG is have a 2 for 12 week on a bunch of games: http://www.greenmangaming.com/two-for/

3) They're also having a 3x6 offer at the same time on some other games: http://www.greenmangaming.com/three-for/

4) And an up to 75% off on Ubisoft games: http://www.greenmangaming.com/ubisoft-deals/
    Want sleeping Dogs, but nothing else there in the two for 10 deal, it's annoying me more than it should.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Want sleeping Dogs, but nothing else there in the two for 10 deal, it's annoying me more than it should.
    Get Games are having a Sleeping Dogs sale - http://getgamesgo.com/category/sleeping-dogs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Get Games are having a Sleeping Dogs sale - http://getgamesgo.com/category/sleeping-dogs

My recommendation for that - Base game + Year of the Snake + Wheels of Fury + Zodiac Tournament + Nightmare in Northpoint. That's all the "story" DLC. Barely any of it ties into the main game, but they're all good self contained fun stories. Each one is a different style of movie.

The rest of the DLC is mostly clothes and some cars. The outfits have special features, like there's one that slows down time for combat, one makes you do more melee damage etc etc. Some of them are pretty fun and I have em all cause I felt bad buying the game super cheap.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Did someone say Ooga Booga? I loved that game!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    SimplyCDKeys are doing XCom: The Bureau for a whopping 7.99 - that's AWFULLY cheap

They're a legit retailer tho I suspect their keys are CIS sourced - not that you care...

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So that means that all dark skinned zombies need to wear monocles and tophats and be perfectly eloquent? Because apparently that is the only way it wouldn't be racist.

If they were fighting against armies of witch doctors and tribesmen, I would be more sympathetic. But these were zombies. ZOMBIES. They are supposed to moan and groan and murder the shit out of people en masse (whether they are fast or slow is up for debate).

Or are we now saying it is inherently racist to have a dark skinned person as the villain, period? Was Serenity racist because The Operative was a mustache twirling villain who just happened to be portrayed by a guy with dark skin?

Also, the only "good" black character as Not-Jill? The hell is wrong with you. Captain Josh Stone was awesome :p. And Not-Jill (and Jill, for that matter...), while portrayed horribly, was a different problem (the depiction of women in video games) and had nothing to do with race.
    I'll take one more stab at this.

WARNING WARNING THE OFF-TOPIC RANTING CONTINUES FOR ONE LAST GASP WARNING

It is not automatically racist - as I understand it - to create a game where the majority of the people you shoot in the face happen to be black people.

It is not automatically racist if you depict them as screaming, howling, foaming at the mouth, rolling their eyes and dragging off pale-skinned, blonde-haired cartoon stereotypes of helpless white women. However, given black people have been represented in almost exactly this manner throughout history to justify characterising them as inhuman savages who are better off ruled by their genetic "superiors", if you make a game where this stuff happens without showing any sign you understand you're playing with fire, it is insensitive at best, outright hurtful at worst. No, I do not believe "But it's just a videogame", "But they're all zombies" etc., etc. are automatic get-out-of-jail-free cards. Yes, I do believe if you develop any kind of creative media dealing with this kind of subject matter, Oscar-bait or B-movie, you have a duty to show you're handling it with some kind of sensitivity.

Sheva looks absolutely nothing like any other black character I saw in the course of the game, and all the other characters look pretty much identical. She is, as much as I'm any judge, a sexed-up, idealised version of what someone who didn't actually know many black people would imagine black femininity to be. It isn't that no-one could possibly look like her; it's that no-one else in the game world even comes close. That does not send a particularly inspiring message. My memories of the rest of the supporting cast are pretty fuzzy; that's why I added "out of the characters you can actually play".

Am I some Lord High Arbiter of what is or is not racist? Dear God, no - again, I'm whitebread, I'm not particularly worldy-wised or lived, I can't even pull the "Some of my best friends..." card. But I'm pretty sure I've got a good idea of what constitutes decent writing, and how creative media, even disposable throwaway creative media ought to handle real-world issues that touch on stuff that carries some pretty painful emotional baggage for a great many people. I'm not trying to claim I've got any kind of deep connection with what black people do or do not think about this stuff or that I know what they ought to feel about it. I'm just saying when I read the arguments from game journalists who did think it crossed a line, those arguments made sense to me, and even though I have absolutely no personal reason to take offence I still thought "I don't care; I want videogames to do better".

I don't think I'm going to drag this argument out any further because you seem to be one of the people who thought "Well, I don't see anything to get worked up about in there, can you shut up now, please" and you'll probably disagree with pretty much everything I just said. (Mods, feel free to move or delete this if I've gone too far.) Still, I don't see it as something to get worked up about, but I can totally see why some people wanted to speak out about it, and I always regretted not joining in the argument at the time. So hey, even if you tl;dr it, at least I got that off my chest.

I'll take one more stab at this.

WARNING WARNING THE OFF-TOPIC RANTING CONTINUES FOR ONE LAST GASP WARNING

It is not automatically racist - as I understand it - to create a game where the majority of the people you shoot in the face happen to be black people.

It is not automatically racist if you depict them as screaming, howling, foaming at the mouth, rolling their eyes and dragging off pale-skinned, blonde-haired cartoon stereotypes of helpless white women. However, given black people have been represented in almost exactly this manner throughout history to justify characterising them as inhuman savages who are better off ruled by their genetic "superiors", if you make a game where this stuff happens without showing any sign you understand you're playing with fire, it is insensitive at best, outright hurtful at worst. No, I do not believe "But it's just a videogame", "But they're all zombies" etc., etc. are automatic get-out-of-jail-free cards. Yes, I do believe if you develop any kind of creative media dealing with this kind of subject matter, Oscar-bait or B-movie, you have a duty to show you're handling it with some kind of sensitivity.
    So again, we are never allowed to have Black Zombies. The T-Virus and The Rage Virus and whatever was in the Livinhg Dead movies is an inherently racist virus that should NEVER attack black people. Wait, we often predict Vikings as bloodthirsty berserkers. Better never let a Swedish guy get bit, 'cause that will be racist too.

That being said, this COULD be a hilarious episode of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia where the gang fights off a horde of zombies and pause to debate if it is racist to kill the black zombies.

Sheva looks absolutely nothing like any other black character I saw in the course of the game, and all the other characters look pretty much identical. She is, as much as I'm any judge, a sexed-up, idealised version of what someone who didn't actually know many black people would imagine black femininity to be. It isn't that no-one could possibly look like her; it's that no-one else in the game world even comes close. That does not send a particularly inspiring message. My memories of the rest of the supporting cast are pretty fuzzy; that's why I added "out of the characters you can actually play".
    And nobody else was a huge pile of steroids like Chris. And nobody else was as sexy and badass as Wesker. That is why they are PCs and Wesker. Many game designers like to make the PC stand out. Hell, that is actually one thing I think RE6 got right with Chris and Mini-Chris: Outside of the massive steroid arms and the faces, they actually looked like the rest of the BSAA guys.

And like I said, the problem with Not-Jill was more how women are often portrayed in video games. Her race had nothing to do with her shittiness as a character. She could have had blonde hair and blue eyes, she could have been japanese, whatever. She would still have been a shitty character who existed to wear almost no clothing and who did nothing but rely on Captain Steroids to save the day. That's another thing RE6 got right: Helena may have not had the best mesh, but she was the driving force during Leon's campaign as often as Leon (and Ada) were.

I don't think I'm going to drag this argument out any further because you seem to be one of the people who thought "Well, I don't see anything to get worked up about in there, can you shut up now, please" and you'll probably disagree with pretty much everything I just said. (Mods, feel free to move or delete this if I've gone too far.) Still, I don't see it as something to get worked up about, but I can totally see why some people wanted to speak out about it, and I always regretted not joining in the argument at the time. So hey, even if you tl;dr it, at least I got that off my chest.
    Yeah, I can see why people get worked up too. They are stupid and look for fights everywhere, rather than where they actually make sense.

Fahrenheit was a pretty casually racist game (seriously, the black PC walks everywhere with jazz music playing). Starcraft 2 played on stereotypes and could be counted as somewhat insensitive (it is that grey area). Resident Evil 5 was a zombie game that was set in Africa. RE6 has you kill a LOT of chinese zombies, but that doesn't make it racist. I am SURE a lot of those zombie models had their teeth exposed (since that is a common way to draw zombies). That doesn't mean it is playing up on the racist caricature of asian people as buck-toothed with squinty eyes. It just means they are zombies who weren't flown in from western Europe.

Network Hub
    Sometimes it's possible for this or that person to say "I thought this wasn't a great idea" or "I didn't particularly care for this" or even "I found this rather unpleasant to be honest" without this meaning that they're calling for a blanket ban.