Page 488 of 569 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498538 ... LastLast
Results 9,741 to 9,760 of 11362

Thread: PC Bargains

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, I remember trying it because people seemed so fond of it and I like the world from the movies so I was hoping there was something there, but it's not for me.
    This may be the problem. :P

Seriously, though, opinions on the films aside, those two elements of the franchise are pretty different in tone by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    This may be the problem. :P
    heh. The movies are weird, especially the latter ones. They're not good, but ... they're somehow good anyway. Or at least entertaining, even when the plot is a complete mess (granted, I know I've seen the last one, but I can't remember anything from it).

Seriously, though, opinions on the films aside, those two elements of the franchise are pretty different in tone by this point.
    I sort of had that impression. Seems like they could have two parallel franchises.

Will the Steam Capcom w/e sale include Monday evening (UK time)? As in, will there be one more daily sale? I was kinda hoping for a 75% off on Remember Me.

Network Hub
    Nope, the sale will end at that point. If you want it at 75% off, there is usually the Autumn sale next month, and a Winter one in December, it will be 75% off in one of those I'm sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    So Dead RIsing 2 is $5 on Steam. This would be very tempting, except for that whole "GfWL shutting down shortly and taking a bunch of games with it" issue. Is there any word on this one getting a GfWL-ectomy?

The supposed impeding GFWL shutdown has never been confirmed. It was a rumor based on a support leak around the same time the store closure was announced. Seeing as Xbone & 360 also rely flavors of Live, and MS state "the Games for Windows Live service will continue to operate as usual", I'm not terribly concerned.

If you don't think you'll easily get $5 worth of play out of DR2, you may as well pass on it. Should a shutdown eventually happen, I suspect that popular support for reverse engineering GFWL would go through the roof and the worthwhile games be rescued.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You are - quite literally - the first person EVER to try to sell that game to me - quite possibly to ANYONE

Seriously - does anyone else on earth have a nice thing to say about it?
    I have to say, it's the only PC game I ever saw it would let you start the game from the disk without install, console style. Other than that I haven't played for that long.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Activated Node
    Thanks for the run down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Depends what you're looking for. They're all very, very different to the original. 5 would be the closest, it still has something of the awkward stamp-stamp-stamp about the controls, and a feeling of struggling to avoid being backed into a corner. The main problem with 5 in a purely mechanical sense is that the AI for your partner is awful - it can't handle conserving its resources, and it can't fight like a regular human player would. Dividing up your herbs and ammo and whatnot between the two of you is also a complete pain in the rear.

6 avoids a lot of this, mostly by giving your partner unlimited supplies and/or streamlining how the game's rules work for them - it's very difficult to get them killed on normal difficulty. Thing is, it ramps up the action movie feel to a great extent (4 did this too, but 6 goes much, much further), and a lot of long-time fans who'd been with the series since 1 hated it for that. It has regular third-person shooter controls, it has special moves, it has cover-based shooting, it has QTE sequences, it has long, wildly over-the-top cutscenes where things explode... if you view this kind of thing as a blight on gaming in general then you probably want to stay the hell away.

Revelations built on 6, but it's originally a 3DS game, so that translates as standard modern third-person shooting plus much smaller levels and much less impressive visuals. The PC port is still a very pretty game in places, though. Just avoid Operation Raccoon City, I guess. I can't think of a single reputable reviewer who liked it, and I don't remember reading any forum posts or anything like that giving it a convincing defense - most people seem to have despised it outright.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The supposed impeding GFWL shutdown has never been confirmed.
    I suspect the rate at which the more diligent developers are ripping GFWL out of their products suggests that even if it doesn't happen July 1 next year, the service isn't going to be maintained/supported and it's not something you want your customers beating their heads-off (tho in fairness, that's always been the case - not much would change!!)

Bioshock is the 'big news' game to have removed it but it's been quietly disappearing from other games for a while.

It's a bit like uPlay - The Might Quest doesn't use it, Trackmania doesn't use it - I think the 'mighty DRM client' may be dying as a hot business concept...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's a bit like uPlay - The Might Quest doesn't use it, Trackmania doesn't use it - I think the 'mighty DRM client' may be dying as a hot business concept...
    Aside from Steam, perhaps... ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by applecup View Post
    Aside from Steam, perhaps... ;)
    It's moving-up into the OS business...

I think it's also notable that Steam is really a shop with a launcher attached to it - that's what pisses it's competitors off.

Wasn't there some research which recently showed that Steam's customers spend more time shopping for games than they spend PLAYING them? :)

From the 14th to the 20th of October, Revolution under Siege and Birth of America 2 for $9.99/7 each at http://matrixgames.com/news/1241/Age....get.the.Deal!.
    Both great turn based historical wargames.
    Last edited by Spinoza; 14-10-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    From the 14th to the 20th of October, Revolution under Siege and Birth of America 2 for $9.99/7 each at http://matrixgames.com/news/1241/Age....get.the.Deal!.
    Both great turn based historical wargames.
    Anyone buying those, I suggest you ask around the forums to see how the downloads work. In the past, Matrix Games sold "extended download services", and reading the store FAQ suggests that this is also a time limited download link and you'll have to rely on customer support to re-download.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Anyone buying those, I suggest you ask around the forums to see how the downloads work. In the past, Matrix Games sold "extended download services", and reading the store FAQ suggests that this is also a time limited download link and you'll have to rely on customer support to re-download.
    Which is why you burn a proper backup, of course. It still baffles me that in an age where digital download services pop out of existence at the drop of a hat people still aren't keeping backups of digital goods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Which is why you burn a proper backup, of course. It still baffles me that in an age where digital download services pop out of existence at the drop of a hat people still aren't keeping backups of digital goods.
    Well I back them up on a distributed cloud-based service called The Pirate Bay :)

Seriously though, I'm the sort that would be paranoid about even the big players like Steam going out of business and taking my games with them, and would backup everything, were it not for the fact I knew that all those games were available for free online anyway, simply by knowing where to look. To me that takes all the risk out of it. Ironically this means in my case specifically, I would have spent far less money on Steam and such if piracy wasn't a thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Counter-argument: I don't know why anyone EVER complains about DRM, simply because you can crack it.

Yes, people probably should make copies of all their games. But they can also avoid services where that would be absolutely necessary. Yes, Steam, GoG, Origin (to a much lesser extent), GMG, etc, they can all go down without any notice at all. But the only way that is going to happen is if the company is circling the drain and dying a horrible death. Otherwise, they lose nothing by, at the very least, giving a few days notice in an attempt to grab stuff.
    Hell, GoG's PR stunt even gave us a few days to overload their servers to grab all our shinies :p.

Also, games that are somewhat frequently updated make backing stuff up quite difficult. And I sure as hell know I don't have room for all the CDs it would take to back-up my GoG and Steam collections. And, honestly, the big draw of DD (at least for me) is convenience. Having to dig out old CDs really isn't all that convenient anymore.

I am not saying people shouldn't buy, just that they should be aware of if they MUST make a back-up and how long they will have to do it. And I am really not a fan of digital store fronts that provide shittier service than all of their competitors.

[edit]Also, I am of deano's school of thought. If Steam explodes overnight, I just need to go download a Steam crack/"emulator" and whatever games I own and want to play from bit torrent. I too didn't embrace Steam until I was certain there was an alternative in the event that it went down. [/edit]
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Counter-argument: I don't know why anyone EVER complains about DRM, simply because you can crack it.
    I didn't say your complaint was invalid, I merely suggested a method of coping with the inconvenience that is, in general, good practice anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well I back them up on a distributed cloud-based service called The Pirate Bay :)

Seriously though, I'm the sort that would be paranoid about even the big players like Steam going out of business and taking my games with them, and would backup everything, were it not for the fact I knew that all those games were available for free online anyway, simply by knowing where to look. To me that takes all the risk out of it. Ironically this means in my case specifically, I would have spent far less money on Steam and such if piracy wasn't a thing.
    That must be nice. I don't trust pirated games to actually work, and I find it impossible to invest time in a game if I think there's a substantial chance it could glitch out randomly and lose my progress. Perhaps my perception is colored by early experiences, and this is no longer a thing with pirated titles, but between virus issues and bugged crack issues I find I have a very strong incentive to back up and jailbreak my own copies. Honestly, it's part of the reason I really dislike Steam, I've never found a reliable way to generate backups that will install/run without the client.
    Last edited by vinraith; 14-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Alas , MatrixGames its the only place to buy Ageod games right now.
    They state they will provide download link if requested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For the record when it comes to pirated games, I don't pirate stuff myself (anymore - since the days of C90 tapes!) but I fix PCs for people who are serial pirates and I can say, with some confidence, that I've lost more gameplay to "developer-introduced issues" than all of them have lost to dodgy rips/hacks/cracks ;)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So Gamefly have the Capcom 30th sale duties for the week. http://digital.gamefly.co.uk/#!/promotion/488 For the UK page

GFDOCT20UK is the coupon for UK, I assume GFDOCT20 is the US version

That drops the price of Remember Me from 15 to 11.99. Very tempted by that. Same price for the new DMC

The Res Evils are for pounds, but not all are steam keys, so pay attention to that. Lost Planets are there aswell, the " Its completelly insane - Tei" LP2 is sitting at 2.49 or so
    Last edited by Kiril; 14-10-2013 at 07:04 PM.