Page 489 of 594 FirstFirst ... 389439479487488489490491499539589 ... LastLast
Results 9,761 to 9,780 of 11866

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GreenManGaming have now dismantled their 'free game' Golden Joysticks offer - word from their Twitter is that if you didn't vote AND register on their site thereafter, you'll probably not get a free game (if you did and don't have it yet - you should get it soon).

Given that, as best as I can tell, the registration part hasn't worked for a long time - that seems a little dishonest on their part - especially as they tell people who report it not working to "wait 24 hours at least" (at which point they close the deal!!)

We'll have to see how this pans-out but as it stands they're in my "potentially dishonest" file - they use things like Reddit to promote their deals so they must realise they'll be popular.

How they handle this will tell if they become a good guy or a Gamersgate I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    So Gamefly have the Capcom 30th sale duties for the week. http://digital.gamefly.co.uk/#!/promotion/488 For the UK page

GFDOCT20UK is the coupon for UK, I assume GFDOCT20 is the US version

That drops the price of Remember Me from £15 to £11.99. Very tempted by that. Same price for the new DMC

The Res Evils are for pounds, but not all are steam keys, so pay attention to that. Lost Planets are there aswell, the " Its completelly insane - Tei" LP2 is sitting at £2.49 or so
    There's also Crysis 3 for £7.50. I'm somewhat tempted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Some good stuff on Steam's weeklong deals: Jagged Alliance 2, Disciples 2, Little Inferno, Thirty Flights of Loving...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11587/

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    GreenManGaming have now dismantled their 'free game' Golden Joysticks offer - word from their Twitter is that if you didn't vote AND register on their site thereafter, you'll probably not get a free game (if you did and don't have it yet - you should get it soon).

Given that, as best as I can tell, the registration part hasn't worked for a long time - that seems a little dishonest on their part - especially as they tell people who report it not working to "wait 24 hours at least" (at which point they close the deal!!)

We'll have to see how this pans-out but as it stands they're in my "potentially dishonest" file - they use things like Reddit to promote their deals so they must realise they'll be popular.

How they handle this will tell if they become a good guy or a Gamersgate I guess...
    I can only assume they got hit pretty hard by exploiters. Kind of inevitable, considering this is the internet we're talking about.

I still got my key, and so did all of my friends who tried (as far as I know), so I don't think there was any ill will on their part - and it did make me more inclined to buy games from them in the future. That's a success, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Not to disrupt the argument of how GMG are horrible people who hate all of their customers because reddit broke their giveaway, but Blade Symphony is also part of the weekly deal (it looks like they aren't in the graphic because they wanted to do a 75% off but Steam told them that Early Access games can only go down to 50%, which is interesting)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225600/

I find myself very tempted. I vaguely recall an RPS preview that was favorable and watching a few youtubes I get a strong JK1 (without damage cranked up to stupid-awesome levels) vibe from it. Anyone have it and have thoughts? Or a more recent youtube?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    On GMG Crysis 3 on sale for EU only!
    After using the voucher code GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC for 25% discount, price is 8.83€. Reedem it on Origin.
    Cheers!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Note: my grumble is that they advertised widely that you should go and vote and then redeem for a free game.

The voting bit wobbled for a while but it came back wheras theredemption bit hasn't worked for the majority of people (judging by the number of posts asking about it) and their reply was "just wait - it will work soon".

Then they close the giveaway and tell people who'd not redeemed by that time 'tough luck'.

That's cunty in my book...

As for GMG's Crysis3 deal - cheaper at Gamestop (a few posts higher) surely?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    That drops the price of Remember Me from £15 to £11.99
    Damn. I just payed 20Ä on Steam. Oh well, not dealing with yet-another-account for GameFly is worth it.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    (judging by the number of posts asking about it)
    That's not a good way to judge that.

Then they close the giveaway and tell people who'd not redeemed by that time 'tough luck'.

That's cunty in my book...
    Er ... they offered to give away two popular games for free and all you had to do was give advertisers your e-mail and do a peoples choice voting thing. Sure they underestimated demand and it broke, but how is that "cunty?" That's like calling someone an asshole becasue they they got stampeded when they shouted out they were giving away free bags of potato chips to first-comers resulting in hospitalization and a lot of broken chips. Christ. Who poisoned your coffee this morning ...
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you're going to judge something, you could try to understand it first at least?

Around 5 days ago, GMG advertise VERY WIDELY - including on Reddit - that if you vote in the Golden Joysticks, they'll give you a free game. They aren't shy about this - they SHOUT VERY LOUDLY about this - they cannot be surprised it was popular!

There are 2 parts to this

Part1 - goto the CVG site and vote
    Part2 - goto the GMG site to get your free game

Part1 fell over very quickly - within 3-4 hours of it starting it was shaky and it was taken down shortly thereafter. It remained down for quite a while - at least 24 hours, probably longer.

Part2 was shaky at this point too - people who had managed Part1 were either being told they had not voted or told there had been a 'glitch in the Matrix' (*yawns*) and that they should try again.

People who raised these problems via support/forum/Facebook/Twitter were told that they had to wait "at least 24 hours after completing Part1 before they could complete Part2".

In the meanwhile, CVG have fixed Part1 so loads more people now manage to vote (including me)

Part2 is still not working at this point - people are still being told that either they've not voted or that there's been that glitch in the matrix (seriously - move the fuck along, it's 2013!!)

The 24 hours thing was nonsense - I tried at least a dozen times over a 48 period and it failed every time with the "I live in 1995" matrix message - other people are reporting the "you have not voted" message over similar periods.

Roll forward to today and GMG close Part2 (without any warning or suggestion there was a limit on doing it). When questioned they've said that if you'd not managed to complete Part2, you wouldn't be getting a free game - well thanks for that.

I cannot see this as anything less than promising something you couldn't deliver - at best it makes them look both incompetent and quite possibly outright dishonest (it also taints the awards but then that's hardly a new concept is it?)

p.s. CVG website is also a nightmare of a thing with several people reporting that they were being shown other people's profiles/random profiles/random people's details instead of their own - but that's another clusterfuck entirely...
    Last edited by trjp; 15-10-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. massive LOLZ - their approach to this is to put everyone who didn't get a key (and probably everyone who did) into a draw to win an iPad Mini...

woot...

Note that you can still vote in these awards if that dazzling prize attracts you to wading through CVGs site - don't hang about here, go do that!! ;)

or you can spend time looking at the hail of abuse they're getting on forums and Facebook etc. - be quick before they delete it ;)
    Last edited by trjp; 15-10-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Sounds like they fucked up. Doesn't make them assholes. They promised something they couldn't deliver, but it was a relatively one-sided promise. It's not like they put a lot pressure on folks who didn't get their free game. Nothing you've said contradicts my understanding of what happened, so I have no idea why you're pulling rank on me here.

I'm sorry you didn't get your free game. I don't mean that snarkily. I'm just surprised people are upset instead of just ... I don't know, miffed?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I'm pissed because i already had the two free games. /rabblerabblerabble

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    I'm pissed because i already had the two free games. /rabblerabblerabble
    You can always gift it to someone who doesn't have it :D

I managed to get Civ V after two days with the support.. until i found that i should have put my username on lowercase -.-

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Deus Ex Human Rev - The DIRECTORS CUT! is up on Gamefly - http://digital.gamefly.co.uk/#!/down...;s-cut/5006854 for £12.99 and the coupon GFDOCT20UK works on it to bring it down to £10.39 which isn't much of a saving for UK people, but for Euro people that works out at about €13 so its a good pre release discount

Also I really like that on the sale page they have a little note telling you about the discount on steam if you already own it.

Has anyone tried Blade Symphony? I am very tempted, but it is an indie multiplayer game, and I've have enough good games with no community.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Sounds like they fucked up. Doesn't make them assholes.
    Oh it does - they COULD have been a lot clearer about the limits of the offer (it's not like they didn't know how many games they had to give away) - they could have made the claim system work fairly rather than throwing errors and them telling people to 'try again in 24 hours' (when we'll have closed it)

According to Reddit, you could register accounts with CVG and GMG and repeatedly get games - that's why they closed the voting on CVG (tho they just broke their website trying to fix it) - GMG's site remained exploitable without even resetting cookies or hiding your IP tho.

I've yet to find anyone who claims to have received a key from them since Sunday - they closed the deal on TUESDAY and in the interim continued to tell people just to 'try in 24 hours' - that's a dick move.

They're getting a HUGE amount of abuse through forums, Facebook, Twitter and they've said NOTHING since closing the deal other than "if you didn't register, you won't get a game". Well done fellas - way to lose custom...

p.s. I guess this falls into my personal pet category of "how is it so many people on the Internet have no fucking idea how the Internet works - how do these people get jobs??" - I wonder why I bother making stuff which works, clearly it's not what people want :)
    Last edited by trjp; 15-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.

See, THIS is kind of why I am largely ashamed to identify as a "gamer". GMG and the award peoples are giving away free games. At least one under active development (I forgot, it was Civ5 and what? I know I had both so I didn't care). They were swamped, in large part because of Reddit and the like.

Now, they are "assholes" and "have no fucking idea how the Internet works". Sadly, the latter IS true. They should have known that it just isn't worth doing nice things as promos because all that happens is it gets abused and a bunch of entitled little children bitch and moan about them and are saying that this will lose them customers. Honestly, I doubt anyone who is this hung up about a failed promo is going to be a steady customer anyway.

People bitch that EA "doesn't care about the fans". People complain that Blizzard "squander their good will". Why SHOULD any devs or companies care about gamers if all that is going to happen is a bunch of whiny little children scream and throw hissy fits the moment they see even the most minor of slights? Fuck the fans. The fans are annoying little shits who are going to hate you no matter what you do. You are better off doing whatever maximizes profits since said "fans" are going to buy the games they want anyway, regardless of what you do.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Take it to another thread? This one is already clogged up enough and it's gone from "get a bargain of a free game" to "gmg are dicks!"

I am bargain-less at the moment.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Take it to another thread? This one is already clogged up enough and it's gone from "get a bargain of a free game" to "gmg are dicks!"

I am bargain-less at the moment.
    Honestly, if all you want are the deals, don't use a forum. Use reddit. The r/gamedeals subreddit is VERY good at getting basically every deal worth grabbing, and you can set up an RSS feed with filters to only get them from the sites you like.

The point of a message board and community is to have discussion of the deals and bargains and the like, to see if something is a good deal or what, and to know what strings are attached. While the "GMG are assholes" is a bit off topic, I still really don't see anything wrong with it as it is related to a deal. Just like discussions of if a game is worth getting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What gundato said - Reddit gamedeals is THE place for deals - we come here to highlight the best of them and have a chat about them but if you want all the deals, this isn't the right place.

I'll drop the GMG thing here - my take is that they exploited people so that a small number of keys would lead to a large number of votes and signups - it seems most of the 'benefit' went to people who signed-up repeatedly in the hope of exploiting the deal and the backlash will entirely land on GMG, as it should.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/

I'll leave that there...
    Last edited by trjp; 15-10-2013 at 04:12 PM.