Page 51 of 589 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 11773

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by KarpaDyem View Post
    I really wanted this game when I saw one of the early trailers, with the parkour elements. The movement scheme looked awesome. But I couldn't get it when it first came out, and subsequent reviews scared me off. This price drop has renewed my interest. Is it worth a pick-up? People online still playing, or is it worth it for SP/bots?
    The movement scheme is awesome, and other shooters start to feel a tiny bit off for lacking it.

It's a robust game without a robust community, but it's still a robust game. The problem is that the leveling system - required to unlock all the fun gadgets, guns, and customization options - calls for a good bit of playtime to get going, and you'll usually find but one or two populated servers at any moment. I want to recommend it as an immediate buy simply because the core game should be experienced while it's still alive, but it's worth knowing what you're getting into.

The SP can be tough going due to bot stupidity, but it's playable. The character creator is famously deep. And while this probably doesn't amount to much of an achievement, it has the best world and character design of any multiplayer shooter since Team Fortress 2.
    Last edited by Oak; 23-09-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    It's a $.01 difference...
    It's a bit bigger in the UK, I should have clarified.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Janek View Post
    Man that is a lot of game for your thirty dollars.
    I've got all the Infinity engine games, including Planescape, in their original editions and even TOEE but that was too good a deal to miss. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. It works out at 2.89 per game - not counting or including Demonstone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post

I don't really know much about the Company of Heroes games, but I'm very tempted to pick them up at that price because when I've heard people chatting about them it's always been in a positive way.
    Are they worth it for SP only?
    I would say yes for that price, I enjoyed the SP, it has a good mix of missions for an rts

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I would say yes for that price, I enjoyed the SP, it has a good mix of missions for an rts
    Agreed, its totally worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    So I just got an email from GOG saying that they're having a sale from 20% to 60% on all D&D products, depending how much you purchase.

This includes Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment, two of the - in my opinion - very best RPGs ever made (and usually considered classics even by other people). They both aged reasonably well, especially with the included community patches that allow for a much bigger resolution than the original.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've still never gotten past Planescape: Torment's abysmal (hah) first few hours, but I can heartily recommend BG 1 & 2 and Icewind 1 & 2 as excellent and still quite playable. I've heard that TOEE is redeemed by the Circle of Eight patch, as well, but haven't had a chance to try that myself yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Alpha Protocol for £1.50. Tempting. Who's played it? Is it fun?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've played it. It is sort of fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    It's a mixed bag, but at that price there's little harm in giving it a try. Some people love it, some people hate it, but I'd think anyone could get a couple of bucks worth of entertainment out of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Loved some bits, hated other bits, was indifferent about bits.

In total, I feel enriched for having played it, and I got more joy out of it than frustration.

How's that for a review?
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    How's that for a review?
    Good enough.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    The movement scheme is awesome, and other shooters start to feel a tiny bit off for lacking it.

It's a robust game without a robust community, but it's still a robust game. The problem is that the leveling system - required to unlock all the fun gadgets, guns, and customization options - calls for a good bit of playtime to get going, and you'll usually find but one or two populated servers at any moment. I want to recommend it as an immediate buy simply because the core game should be experienced while it's still alive, but it's worth knowing what you're getting into.

The SP can be tough going due to bot stupidity, but it's playable. The character creator is famously deep. And while this probably doesn't amount to much of an achievement, it has the best world and character design of any multiplayer shooter since Team Fortress 2.
    If you can move even a fraction as well as they suggest in trailers, it sounds like enormous fun. And you're really selling me on it if you can use TF2 in the same sentence. I was hoping that the price change on Steam would generate more sales, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so maybe the servers would still be quiet. But I might have to pick it up for my shooty fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If by trailers you mean *gameplay* trailers, then yeah, the movement is like that. If you mean the cinematic trailers, with people jumping all over large open environments, then it's not.

Network Hub
    Can't pass up Alpha Protocol for that much. Can anyone say how worthy this AvP game is of my $5?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Does anyone know if there are plans for a more "complete" Dawn of War 2 Complete pack? Because I've noticed that the one they've got out now seems to be missing all that DLC, making it a no-sale for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I haven't heard of anything, though it stands to reason that sometime in the next few years or so they'll put out a platinum edition or whatever.

Obscure Node
    GOG.com has sales on all their DnD games this weekend! -

Planescape: Torment - $3.99
    Baldurs Gate 2 Complete - $3.99
    Neverwinter Nights Diamond - $3.99

Including a bunch more I don't feel like typing. All DRM free!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post

and in 256 colors!
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post

I think it's been mentioned before, but worth saying again -- those titles are that price when you buy the entire pack. Individually, they're more like 7-8 bucks. Still not a bad deal by any stretch.
    steam