Page 515 of 609 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515516517525565 ... LastLast
Results 10,281 to 10,300 of 12161

Thread: PC Bargains

Expeditions: Conquistador is currently $4.99 before coupon
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Quote Originally Posted by araneldon View Post
    I would recommend XCOM as well, but get it from amazon.com instead if you can. The collection (see URL below) includes all DLC as well as the old games. Or get the XCOM EU+EW bundle (second URL below). Enemy Within alone is probably cheapest at GMG right now.

http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-Collection-Online-Game-Code/dp/B00ECHYTKY/

http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-Pack-Onli...dp/B00HDPDEVM/
    This does look quite enticing, but I don't think you can buy those with the steam wallet :)
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso

XCOM:EW works out at £8 on GMG if you use the code: GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49.

Cheapest I've seen it so far.

http://getloadedgo.com/
    Choose 2 games for £10/12€/$15.

BioShock Infinite

Borderlands 2

Doom 3 BFG

Fallout 3: GOTY

Hitman: Absolution - Professional Edition

Painkiller Hell & Damnation Collector's Edition

Shadow Warrior

Sleeping Dogs

Sniper Elite V2: High Command Edition

Speedball 2 HD

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Deluxe

Tomb Raider

WH 40K: Dawn Of War 2

WH 40K: Dawn Of War 2: Chaos Rising

WH 40K: Dawn Of War 2: Retribution

WH 40K: Space Marine
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Kentucky Route Zero is once again available for $12.49 over at the Humble Store for the next 7 or so hours
    For those with card cash it might be worth waiting for it to be featured as a daily or flash deal. I'm not paying too much attention to this sale anymore, but I think it's been up for vote 50% off and lost, as such it should be back before it's over.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    Can anyone help me out with the Warhammer 40k games? I'm really interested in getting one of the RTS games but there seem to be loads and I don't really understand which one to get, particularly as some seem to be traditional expansions to existing games whereas others are free standing expansions. Any help?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Dawn of War: Traditional base-building RTS, think Company of Heroes in space.
    DoW Winter Assault: Traditional expansion for DoW, adds an Imperial Guard campaign.
    DoW Dark Crusade/Soulstorm: Expandalones - all the content is there, but certain races will be unplayable unless you have valid CD keys for the relevant other bits of the series.

Dawn of War II: More of a tactical focus, with a squad of hero units shuffling around scripted missions. RPG elements, loot. Some found it a bit jarring, but I really enjoyed the narrower focus. I think multiplayer is a more traditional base-builder. Also had The Last Stand coop which is an escalating arena type thing which was quite fun.
    DoW2 Chaos Rising: Standalone, adds a new campaign which is a direct sequel to the DoW2 campaign (also some extra multiplayer/TLS racial choices)
    DoW2 Retribution: Standalone, has a campaign for every race (but most are just the same missions repeated from a slightly different perspective). Also adds extra multiplayer/TLS races.

Space Marine: 3rd person shooter - think Gears of War. Not particularly good.

I'd say DoW2 would be a good starting point, then dive into Chaos Rising if you enjoy it. If you want the original, I'd wager there's some kind of complete GOTY edition available for peanuts.

Network Hub
    Avoid Soulstorm at all costs, it was outsourced and is rather bad as an expansion, the rest of the Dawn of War games are good though. The original and Winter Assault are my favourites, but I have a soft spot for the Tau for Dark Crusade is good too.

My personal opinion is that for single player campaigns you'd get DoW1 and Winter Assault, as well as DoW2 and Chaos Rising if you like the tactical side. Retributions campaign wasn't as interesting to me, but you'll want it if you plan on an Multiplayer or The Last Stand.

Network Hub
    Thanks for the replies. I think DoW2 and Bioshock Infinite for a tenner sounds pretty good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but GAME (UK) have a sale which includes Lego LoTR for £4 (cheaper than the now ended Steam offer)

It also includes the Lego Harry Potters (£2 and £3) but the first one is NOT A STEAM CODE it seems, it's a download (LoTR and the 2nd one are Steam codes)

uPlay are doing the HPs cheapish too - if you don't mind using that - £2.50 for the first, £3.75 for the 2nd
    Last edited by trjp; 29-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.

It's a Post-Christmas Blunder!

A bunch of games are up to 75% off over at FireFlower Games.
    Carefully selected DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux for direct download - http://fireflowergames.com/
    At least half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireflower View Post
    A bunch of games are up to 75% off over at FireFlower Games.
    Sale highlights:[spoilers]
    Nothing
    At all
    All prices rubbish.
    [/spoilers]
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sale highlights:[spoilers]
    Nothing
    At all
    All prices rubbish.
    [/spoilers]
    In fairness, that's the cheapest I've seen Raiden Legacy!

Network Hub
    GOG is after our wallets once more: a 48 hour sale with the bundles that did not get the community vote in their winter sale. Go and spend like it's 2013!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    GOG is after our wallets once more: a 48 hour sale with the bundles that did not get the community vote in their winter sale. Go and spend like it's 2013!
    The problem with GOG, for me, is that I've already bought all the games I want from them. They don't add that many new ones either, at least not with much appeal for me. I don't recall buying anything there for at least six months. Unless I'm deviating from the norm, there's a potentially big problem with the business idea. Once people have the games they want, will GOG be able to maintain a sustainable turnover? Sure, there will always be people who want to buy the old classics and some newer games DRM free, but will it be enough to sustain the entire venture?

It's still a great service though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Tactical strike, Get-ttoooooo.

Not that i wouldn't already own Jagged Alliance 2 on disc, but atleast now i got it digitally as well and S2 and GC2 could be fun to play a bit again as well. Now if only GOG gained the Unfinished Business for JA2, never had that one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Unless I'm deviating from the norm, there's a potentially big problem with the business idea. Once people have the games they want, will GOG be able to maintain a sustainable turnover?
    Same boat here, but we've both drunk the Steam kool-aid, didn't we? their most loyal customers are those actively avoiding Steam.

I think the biggest threat right now is the Humble Store: it has DRM-free downloads (although no downloader yet), ever-growing library, aggressive pricing, great visibility, a certain image supplemented by that we-give-to-charity, support-indie-devs thing. Each has pros and cons, but IMO Humble is positioned better.

With the market getting more and more crowded, I suspect at some point they will have to get their hands dirty with Steam (but what will purists say to that?) or accept that's their limit. Or, they could come up with that one idea that changes the whole game, but it's easier to say...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    The problem with GOG, for me, is that I've already bought all the games I want from them. They don't add that many new ones either, at least not with much appeal for me. I don't recall buying anything there for at least six months. Unless I'm deviating from the norm, there's a potentially big problem with the business idea. Once people have the games they want, will GOG be able to maintain a sustainable turnover? Sure, there will always be people who want to buy the old classics and some newer games DRM free, but will it be enough to sustain the entire venture?

It's still a great service though.
    They wouldn't have done their overhaul if they weren't banking on a long game. A couple of things.

1) Running a website like GOG doesn't require the kind of revenue Steam brings in. GOG doesn't have to be anyone's favorite game store to keep on trucking.

2) GOG is part of a wager on the longevity of DRM. If and when more and more mainstream PC developers shy away from DRM, GOG ends up looking that much more attractive.

3) Humble has a very ... odd setup. Their catalog shuffles around and while there's a constant state of discounts on something, their catalog is small, shuffling and there's some brand confusion between the bundles and the store and the weekly sale and the DRM-Free vs. Steam Key vs. Pre-Order issue that exists both in sales and in the store. It's not a reliable retailer even if it does have press and aggressive pricing. Not yet, at least.

4) Good Old Games offers games no one else offers. I'm sure there's an asymptotic relationship between sales of those titles and time, so we're back to GOG needing to step up it's new arrivals and make more competitive steps.

5) I honestly don't think the charity things makes that big of a difference. People come to Humble for the prices. The Humble Store can only put the same games on sale at the same prices so many times before no one really cares anymore. That's the same challenge you're leveling at GOG, no? Well ... Humble's just as bad, really. They don't have a particularly fast-growing catalog and we've got plenty of time to wait and see how Humble Store and GOG change over the next year before we make any pronouncements as to who is in a better position. Frankly, I think it's GOG--Humble Bundles and Weekly Sales will continue to do well, but I don't see the Humble Store becoming anyone's one-stop shop.

6) GOG has a lot of good will and brand loyalty and has fairly frequent, competitively priced sales. Their sales also encourage continued patronage by scaling discounts based not just on what you buy now but what you have already bought. No one else does this. GOG is a very customer friendly system and they package a lot of their games with little extras that, while not impossible to find elsewhere or groundbreaking, create once again a very customer friendly face.

Finally, Good Old Games or for that matter Humble Bundle wouldn't be the apocalypse that a Steam meltdown would be--they sell DRM free games. Unless you're foolish enough not to download your collection, one of them closing down is like a brick and mortar closing. It's sad, but it doesn't affect your purchases.

I don't think there's much use in guessing what the "normal" GOG customer spends and how often they do. There will always be people looking to try old games they never got around to or that their friends and parents told them about. There will always continue to be indie games and a select few non-indie games that publish DRM free and look GOG's way. Will that be enough to sustain GOG? I think so. They've been doing pretty well since the overhaul and while Steam is by no means in any DANGER, I think Steam's wall of unconditional obsession has stopped growing and is starting to be worn down by the likes of Humble and GOG and anyone who plays EA's latest games has had to get used to the idea of using multiple services so they can have their Origin and their Steam. If Ubisoft ever manages to get their crap together, we might see Uplay go the way of Origin, too, but that's probably a ways off. Presently it would be suicidal. All in all, I don't think we have reason to call GOG in it's twilight years just yet.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My take on GoG's philosophy is to encourage their community to 'big up' older games (by creating lists and reviews etc.) and thus build a business around selling the less popular/well known stuff (which is less price-sensitive too)

Remember that 'older' games doesn't just mean the back catalog stuff we mostly use them for now - but games which will become 'older' as time goes by.

Steam really doesn't care for anything which wasn't released in the last 2 years, a fwe sale stalwarts and the latest hipster-trendy indies.

There's 1000s of games on Steam which are never promoted in sales/dailies and which are long forgotten by most players/users - Valve don't care about them probably because the publisher has almost forgotten about them but they are what GoG seems to thrive on.

At least that have an edge/advantage (this and the DRM thing) - Gamefly and GreenManGaming compete just by being cheap (quite often cheaper than Steam!) - Gamersgate survives despite offering very little over it's competition and Impulse/Gamestop is a joke (at least here in the UK where most of it's sales aren't available and even most of it's GAMES aren't)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Same boat here, but we've both drunk the Steam kool-aid, didn't we? their most loyal customers are those actively avoiding Steam.

I think the biggest threat right now is the Humble Store: it has DRM-free downloads (although no downloader yet), ever-growing library, aggressive pricing, great visibility, a certain image supplemented by that we-give-to-charity, support-indie-devs thing. Each has pros and cons, but IMO Humble is positioned better.

With the market getting more and more crowded, I suspect at some point they will have to get their hands dirty with Steam (but what will purists say to that?) or accept that's their limit. Or, they could come up with that one idea that changes the whole game, but it's easier to say...
    It has nothing to do with being a "purist." GOG sells DRM free games. That's their core business model. If they stop doing that, they might as well close up shop; once they start selling DRM'd games and especially Steam Keys ... what will their version of a game sold on Steam have that the Steam Store version or the Humble Weekly/Bundle version or the Gamersgate version or the Amazon version or the Gamefly version doesn't? They only reason people buy Steam keys away from Steam is becasue of proximity--if they happen to see a discount that's worth their while it doesn't really matter who acts as a gate-way for their Steam Key purchase. GOG could get in on that, sure. At the same time ... you can't fix an ailing business by fighting for those kind of situational-discount table scraps. I'm honestly surprised that the situational-discount polka is currently supporting GMG and GG--Gamefly has their rental service and Amazon is Amazon so they've got plenty of other stuff going on, too. But if your argument is that it's a crowded market GOG needs to toughen up to stay afloat ... how is leaping into Steam keys going to fix anything? If GOG starts going under, hocking Steam keys isn't going to save them.

I think GOG's most loyal customers are people who, yes, want to get away from Steam but also people like me. I have a sizable GOG collection because I bought some games there I can't buy elsewhere and I've been slowly transitioning away from DRM. I now try not to buy anything on Steam that I can get for anything close to the same price DRM free--and even then I'm liable to wait for a sale or save up and go with the DRM free option now. I'm not done with Steam. I don't hate it. I just have plenty of games on Steam already and I don't feel comfortable putting MORE money into it except on games that just aren't sold DRM free or that are throw-away candy-bar-at-the-checkout-line games that are worth my time and money, but only BECAUSE they take up so little of both.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0